mother-in-law college football focus group | Syracusefan.com

mother-in-law college football focus group

Millhouse

Living Legend
mother in law was stuck at our house because of the weather last night.

as such she was stuck watching the game.

a couple minutes in, "Wow, college football has ALOT more action". she knows nothing about football except for enduring bills games but it jumped out at her

granted she's stuck with the bills and it's a pretty good college game for your first exposure to it

better bells and whistles (bands cheerleaders etc), qbs more involved in every play. maybe all the other stuff is worse but to just sit and catch a game, college is better

I have always felt that is true for football and basketball. Granted, last night was the championship game so a playoff or Super Bowl might be a fairer comparison. The imperfections that drive some people crazy with college sports are the reasons I feel college football and basketball are more fun to watch. A guy steps up to make a throw, a catch, a jump shot or a kick and you cannot always be sure they will execute it perfectly. Adds a different variable.

My wife said to me when I turned on the game, "What's Auburn? I've never even heard of them."

Full disclosure: My wife grew up in Columbus, Ohio...

What's Auburn?

Small city in Central New York. Home to Harriet Tubman and Lincoln's Secretary of State William H. Seward. Don't know much about their football team. :p

What's Auburn?

Small city in Central New York. Home to Harriet Tubman and Lincoln's Secretary of State William H. Seward. Don't know much about their football team. :p

When I was young I thought that the auburn football team was from Auburn NY and was always confused as to why we never hear about them seeing they were only 20 minutes from us.

What's Auburn?

And, it's where the electric chair was used for the first time to execute a convict.
Don't sell Auburn short.

did you make her tailgate outside before the game?

When I was young I thought that the auburn football team was from Auburn NY and was always confused as to why we never hear about them seeing they were only 20 minutes from us.

Same here. I remember reading SI when I was around 10, there was a cover and article about Auburn, the Iron Bowl, Bo Jackson, and I couldn't believe how we didn't hear more about them since Auburn wasn't far from Tully. I asked my dad and he played along and then screwed with me when we drove into Auburn and passed the maximum security correctional facility he pointed and said, "that's where they play football."

All I could think was wow, that's a pretty ugly stadium!

Did you explain to her how punting inside of the opponents 40 is a bad thing?
I didn't need to. it takes years of being brainwashed by brain damaged goons to conclude otherwise

Come on Marsh, come clean. You just figured this out last night, didn't you?

And, it's where the electric chair was used for the first time to execute a convict.
Don't sell Auburn short.

Gateway to the Finger Lakes as well. I would never sell Auburn, NY short.

Come on Marsh, come clean. You just figured this out last night, didn't you?

Ha...touche! My daughter did ask me "wait they are from Auburn" as in Auburn NY.

Reactions: 007

When I was 5 or 6, I thought our nation's capital was in Washington.

Seattle, Washington.

Gateway to the Finger Lakes as well. I would never sell Auburn, NY short.
I've seen at least 3 towns make this same claim. It doesn't make sense, particularly when Skaneateles and Otisco are both east of Owasco and Seneca, Cayuga, Keuka, Canandaigua, etc are west. So, with Owasco right in the middle of the Finger Lakes, on what basis is Auburn the Gateway?

When I was a kid I thought the Steelers played just outside of Rochester (Pittsford).

a couple minutes in, "Wow, college football has ALOT more action". she knows nothing about football except for enduring bills games but it jumped out at her

granted she's stuck with the bills and it's a pretty good college game for your first exposure to it

better bells and whistles (bands cheerleaders etc), qbs more involved in every play. maybe all the other stuff is worse but to just sit and catch a game, college is better

This invalidates your entire post.

I've seen at least 3 towns make this same claim. It doesn't make sense, particularly when Skaneateles and Otisco are both east of Owasco and Seneca, Cayuga, Keuka, Canandaigua, etc are west. So, with Owasco right in the middle of the Finger Lakes, on what basis is Auburn the Gateway?

Can't a place have more than one gate?

I didn't need to. it takes years of being brainwashed by brain damaged goons to conclude otherwise

Unless you have Auburn's punter who was ridiculously good/lucky. Guy was out of his skull last night. He flipped the field like what, 3 times on FSU. Our guy would blast it through the uprights.

In many ways every NFL game looks the same as the next.

I was in my 20s before i realized Georgetown wasnt an historical Black college. After seeing all of John Thompson's team you could understand why.

A girl I worked with was telling me about her trip to Alaska. She was very confused when her husband said they were going to drive the whole way... The girl thought Alaska was an island, because it's always on the lower left of a map in the middle of the ocean...

A girl I worked with was telling me about her trip to Alaska. She was very confused when her husband said they were going to drive the whole way... The girl thought Alaska was an island, because it's always on the lower left of a map in the middle of the ocean...

That's great. But that girl is a couple caribou short of a herd.

College football is better...provided you're watching two top 10 teams play each other. Watching two middle of the pack teams mucking around or watching a top 10 team blowout an average team is pretty dull. That's only 95-98% of all college games.

I love Syracuse football...but anyone that thinks Cuse games are more entertaining to a non-invested fan than virtually any random NFL game has a radically different perspective than me.