Moyer as a 3 | Syracusefan.com

Moyer as a 3

pearl31

in cahoots
Say he's been working his tail off this past year and through the summer, and his handle and jumper have improved - can he be an effective small forward for us?

I've been a huge Moyer supporter but I've always regarded the 4 as his best position. I don't doubt the kid's work ethic but in order to be a very good 3, he has to really improve a tremendous amount. It's impossible to answer your question without seeing him play, but Moyer isn't ever going to be the best athlete on the court. He will always be one of the smartest.

My biggest hope is that he's been working on his conditioning and physique. He needed to work on his gas tank and converting some baby fat to muscle. I'm not sure where he will wind up, he could be a tweener. But it will be great to finally have a player out there who attacks the rim aggressively and plays with a little bit of an attitude. I love watching Moyer, a very nice kid, scowl as he dunks on someone. That's been sorely lacking.

Say he's been working his tail off this past year and through the summer, and his handle and jumper have improved - can he be an effective small forward for us?

It would be great if he could develop his 3 skills. He has the body of a 3 and is small for a 4.

How hopeless are Brissett and Moyer's 3 point jumpers? From the way everybody makes it sound, they're lucky to hit the top of the backboard on an open 3.

Could either one get into low 30% territory from deep? You'd be a below average 3 point shooter at that level, but not so woeful that an open 3 would be considered a bad shot.

How hopeless are Brissett and Moyer's 3 point jumpers? From the way everybody makes it sound, they're lucky to hit the top of the backboard on an open 3.

Could either one get into low 30% territory from deep? You'd be a below average 3 point shooter at that level, but not so woeful that an open 3 would be considered a bad shot.

I haven't seen OB enough to speculate but I think Moyer could hit 30% from deep. His form is very funky though. Very funky. Maybe they've tweeked it? Expect JB to have a very short leash on Moyer when it comes to him shooting threes, unless he's really improved. That's another reason I'm not sure he's a 3. He's an odd player in that his form is not ideal but he does manage to put the ball in the basket. 30% is doable if he's given the opportunity.

Last edited:
Kris Joseph...he didn't have 3 point range or much of a handle as a freshman. He played more of a PF game while having a SF's size.

His perimeter game developed to where he was an effective SF as a soph. and he was a solid perimeter shooter as a junior and senior. SF became his clear best position.

Could Moyer follow a similar path?

Kris Joseph...he didn't have 3 point range or much of a handle as a freshman. He played more of a PF game while having a SF's size.

His perimeter game developed to where he was an effective SF as a soph. and he was a solid perimeter shooter as a junior and senior. SF became his clear best position.

that's who I would compare him to. similar size and build too.

Main difference being, IMO, that Joseph had a better open floor handle, which Moyer lacks. Moyer has some versatility to his game, but I agree 100% with Iommi -- right now, neither he nor Brisset project as a 3.

I'm normally the guy who tells people not to get too hung up on positions, that sometimes our forwards can be combos who are interchangeable [like when Wes / Kris played together a lot, or CJ / Southerland in 2013]. Might see that with Moyer and Brisset down the road, but neither one of those guys has the game of a 3 coming in.

For the record, if Lydon departs, I wouldn't be surprised to see Moyer starting at 4 next season [with Thompson shifting to the pivot, unless either Chukwu bounces back in a big way, or Sidibe proves too good to keep out of the lineup].

Joseph was awesome when he was the 6th man off the bench, he always put up great numbers. As a starter he wasn't the same.

For the record, if Lydon departs, I wouldn't be surprised to see Moyer starting at 4 next season [with Thompson shifting to the pivot, unless either Chukwu bounces back in a big way, or Sidibe proves too good to keep out of the lineup].

I'm thinking TT might be starting at the 5 no matter what. It took him all season to try to figure out the 5 and he still struggled, so I doubt JB moves him and has him try to master the zone slides. We have a ton of 4-types to take that slot, even without Lydon.

So--we still have three open scholarships to fill for next year, correct?

Joseph was awesome when he was the 6th man off the bench, he always put up great numbers. As a starter he wasn't the same.

He wasn't as efficient as his role expanded(similar to CJ Fair in that regard), but I'm pretty sure he was the leading scorer on that 34-3 team as a senior.

So--we still have three open scholarships to fill for next year, correct?

Yes and it will be 4 soon enough, when TL signs with an agent.

Thompson/Moyer at the 5/4 has the potential to make the defense and rebounding even worse IMO. TT had the lowest block % of any 5 we have ever had this year. If we are going to struggle to score we need a bigger back line.

Thompson/Moyer at the 5/4 has the potential to make the defense and rebounding even worse IMO. TT had the lowest block % of any 5 we have ever had this year. If we are going to struggle to score we need a bigger back line.

So we're looking at a worse defense and a worse offense.

This sucks...

I'd consider the absolute best case scenario for this team is Brisset coming in and being able to contribute at the 3. Quicker and more athletic than Moyer. Moyer's a natural for our 4 and I think he'll be able to give some quality minutes there. I don't really understand the concern about Moyer's rebounding. The kid has a mean streak and rebounded more than fine in high school.

I'd consider the absolute best case scenario for this team is Brisset coming in and being able to contribute at the 3. Quicker and more athletic than Moyer. Moyer's a natural for our 4 and I think he'll be able to give some quality minutes there. I don't really understand the concern about Moyer's rebounding. The kid has a mean streak and rebounded more than fine in high school.

Not going to happen.

I don't think so.

Not going to happen.

Not in an ideal sense but we have no 3. We literally do not have a player that can play SF. Until we actually land someone, we have no option.

Not in an ideal sense but we have no 3. We literally do not have a player that can play SF. Until we actually land someone, we have no option.

Sure, we have options -- recruit somebody who can play SF. Shift the 6-7 Battle to 3 in a three-guard lineup if we land somebody who is starting caliber like Ayala who can man the 2. Etc.

As we saw last year, trying to shoehorn players into positions that they aren't suited to play isn't a good approach nor a viable strategy.

He's maybe 6'8" and lacks strength. Not an explosive leaper or athlete. He does rebound well out of desire but he's not a very big guy.

Main difference being, IMO, that Joseph had a better open floor handle, which Moyer lacks. Moyer has some versatility to his game, but I agree 100% with Iommi -- right now, neither he nor Brisset project as a 3.

I'm normally the guy who tells people not to get too hung up on positions, that sometimes our forwards can be combos who are interchangeable [like when Wes / Kris played together a lot, or CJ / Southerland in 2013]. Might see that with Moyer and Brisset down the road, but neither one of those guys has the game of a 3 coming in.

Thats exactly how I see it as well. I doubt either will ever be a straight SF but they could each develop their games enough to be effective playing together.