Moyer as a 3 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Moyer as a 3

Sure, we have options -- recruit somebody who can play SF. Shift the 6-7 Battle to 3 in a three-guard lineup if we land somebody who is starting caliber like Ayala who can man the 2. Etc.

As we saw last year, trying to shoehorn players into positions that they aren't suited to play isn't a good approach nor a viable strategy.
Having Battle is great because he can play 2 and is big enough & quick enough to play the wing as well. If all SU can pick up are PGs & SGs, then slide Battle over & let him rip.

Sure, we have options -- recruit somebody who can play SF. Shift the 6-7 Battle to 3 in a three-guard lineup if we land somebody who is starting caliber like Ayala who can man the 2. Etc.

As we saw last year, trying to shoehorn players into positions that they aren't suited to play isn't a good approach nor a viable strategy.
Battle would be unguardable as a 3.

I've thought about Battle at the 3, too, and think it could probably work quite well - but I just don't see JB using him there... but yes, we need to see what the roster consists of in August/September to really assess the positions

Yes and it will be 4 soon enough, when TL signs with an agent.

How many scholarships do we have for next year?

11 or 12?

Thought it was 11.

How many scholarships do we have for next year?

11 or 12?

Thought it was 11.

Its 11, we have Frank, Washington, Battle, Chukwu, Moyer, Brisset, Sidibe, and Thompson. If Frank leaves we will have 4 schollies open. Right now we have three open with Lydon gone. If he somehow comes back we have 2.

He wasn't as efficient as his role expanded(similar to CJ Fair in that regard), but I'm pretty sure he was the leading scorer on that 34-3 team as a senior.
His advanced metrics as a starter in his last two seasons were pretty similar to his sophomore numbers. He didn't blossom into the stud that many were expecting him to become, but he was still very good, especially considering he was playing through injury some of the time.

Kris Joseph College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Joseph was awesome when he was the 6th man off the bench, he always put up great numbers. As a starter he wasn't the same.

That is because, when he was 6th man off the bench, nobody guarded him because of all the offensive threats around him.

When he became a starter, he became one of the primary offensive weapons so other teams actually focused on stopping him...

I've thought about Battle at the 3, too, and think it could probably work quite well - but I just don't see JB using him there... but yes, we need to see what the roster consists of in August/September to really assess the positions

We would have real rebounding issues on his side..

We always have rebounding issues in general but they are especially acute when we drop a guard down to play a forward spot in the zone...

We would have real rebounding issues on his side..

We always have rebounding issues in general but they are especially acute when we drop a guard down to play a forward spot in the zone...
I agree. For all his size and athleticism, Battle did not rebound the ball well from the guard position. I would expect him to improve next season, but only if he remains a guard.

I agree. For all his size and athleticism, Battle did not rebound the ball well from the guard position. I would expect him to improve next season, but only if he remains a guard.

Even if he does improve, we have always struggled when we've had to drop a 2 down to play the 3 on D...we just get crushed on the boards on that side because of the size mismatch...Keep him up front...

Given the team makeup right now, I don't see how Moyer doesn't play the 3 -- out of necessity.

I was hoping moyer could be a kevin jones type. not so sure about that anymore.

Main difference being, IMO, that Joseph had a better open floor handle, which Moyer lacks. Moyer has some versatility to his game, but I agree 100% with Iommi -- right now, neither he nor Brisset project as a 3.

I'm normally the guy who tells people not to get too hung up on positions, that sometimes our forwards can be combos who are interchangeable [like when Wes / Kris played together a lot, or CJ / Southerland in 2013]. Might see that with Moyer and Brisset down the road, but neither one of those guys has the game of a 3 coming in.
No one has seen the kid play in well over a year, so these proclamations are curious.

Yes and it will be 4 soon enough, when TL signs with an agent.
Need to take advantage of this. Its time to bring nearly anyone on. Enough with the lack of depth and other issues. We need players in here. Thats why we should still look into Ayala, Duarte, the kid from Washington that decommitted. Then hit the grad transfer market too, we need players desperately.

Need to take advantage of this. Its time to bring nearly anyone on. Enough with the lack of depth and other issues. We need players in here. Thats why we should still look into Ayala, Duarte, the kid from Washington that decommitted. Then hit the grad transfer market too, we need players desperately.
"The kid from Washington that decommitted"?..

I mean, yea sure, I wouldn't mind one of the biggest recruits in the last 5 years. Definitely not going to happen though. We're just coming out of sanctions - not sure I want us recruiting players who are a package deal with a job for their dad.

"The kid from Washington that decommitted"?..

I mean, yea sure, I wouldn't mind one of the biggest recruits in the last 5 years. Definitely not going to happen though. We're just coming out of sanctions - not sure I want us recruiting players who are a package deal with a job for their dad.
Not Porter Jr. the other one(Blake Harris), he is a point guard there is a thread about him in the recruiting section.

one thing Moyer could do at the 3. play defense. And I bet, be pretty good at it. When we have big 3's. the zone is usually pretty good. Just like big guards. the problem would be on offense. without wing shooters, the lane would get clogged up and you could forget about battle's drives to the hoop.

Brisset looks more like a Krisjo to me than Moyer does. Quick, athletic, strong, getting boards, steals, and transition buckets which were few and far between this year. (I still love Moyer's game)

On the same note, I think Frank and Tyus at the top of the zone could be fantastic.

Solving where Moyer/forwards plays, imo, comes after we solve who plays center.

I hesitate to put too much faith in Chukwu being that good so I really hope Sidibe can play a little d. He seems more athletic and aggresive, just better at basketball. No Chukwu really limited our lineup possibilities this year.

If neither are ready then we'll have a 4 playing center again. If they are, we'll have 4 forwards and likely the only way Moyer plays is at 3.