Moyer/Thompson FG %’s fell off a cliff | Syracusefan.com

Moyer/Thompson FG %’s fell off a cliff

OrangeDW

Living Legend
Moyer shot 53% as a freshman at Cuse. He fell off to 34% at Vanderbilt.

Thompson shot 55% as a freshman at Cuse. He shot just 40% at Seton Hall last year.

I can’t really blame Boeheim for getting huffy when the media questions his usage of players.

Are there any players who really succeeded after they left SU besides BJ Johnson? I guess I'm talking within the past 10-15 years

Thompson shot 55% as a freshman at Cuse. He shot just 40% at Seton Hall last year.

I can’t really blame Boeheim for getting huffy when the media questions his usage of players.
We're usually on the same page, but i don't follow the logic here. You're suggesting JB used these guys 'just the right amount/the right way... but i don't think it's as simple as all that. Haven't seen Moyer play at Vanderbilt, but is he playing the same kind of minutes in the same situations? Against starters or scrubs? Thompson—that's a psych case. Not sure we can apply any kind of reasoning there.

But, just as these two guys performed 'worse' away from JB, we've also seen some of our players play better, when they were on overseas touring teams or whatever they're called, no?

Too many variables.

JB knows better than most coaches(let alone fans, media, parents, etc) who should be in what role.

You can't be saying that JB knows more than select fans on here, whose basketball brilliance surfaces after every loss. These are people, who through the cruel twists of fate, were never able to become college coaches even though they would have become all time greats.

(I couldn't help myself! I am just getting in shape for the season.)

You can't be saying that JB knows more than select fans on here, whose basketball brilliance surfaces after every loss. These are people, who through the cruel twists of fate, were never able to become college coaches even though they would have become all time greats.

If tbone’s clipboard didn’t blow out on him, he coulda been one of the GREATS.

Dude:. All one needs to know about JB is that he turned Lawrence Moten into the All-Time leading scorer in BE history.

(I couldn't help myself! I am just getting in shape for the season.)
You're never out of shape.

Those are great examples of how much better a coach JB is than some of these other clown head coaches who basically cheat their way into their positions. I wish more high school players and their coaches and AAU idiots realized and appreciated that.

Moten arrived with pretty advanced scoring skills as a freshman. JB quickly recognized that and allowed him to flourish.
He put him in positions to flourish.
Compared to all time greats in the BE the fact that he is the all time scorer is mind boggling. Even accounting for 3 year players.

Are there any players who really succeeded after they left SU besides BJ Johnson? I guess I'm talking within the past 10-15 years

Any of them succeed before they left?

Thompson complained about playing time when he was here. He went to Seton Hall and promptly averaged 7 less minutes per game, 3 less shots per game, shot 14% worse from the field, and scored 5 less points per game

So, where is Thompson now? He's on the Seton Hall roster, but didn't play tonight? The coach was suspended two games for the tampering, but i'm not seeing anything about Thompson also being suspended. Did that happen, too?

Wonder if the transfer of former FSU 7’2” Ike Obiagu after his freshman year to Seton Hall has also caught the NCAA’s eye. He’s a big shot blocker who averaged almost 3 a game at FSU in only 11 minutes/game playing time as a frosh, sitting out last year but playing this year. That Powell kid for them is really good , I think they are ranked 12th. They said Thompson not playing was a ‘coaching decision’. They didn’t miss him.

So, where is Thompson now? He's on the Seton Hall roster, but didn't play tonight? The coach was suspended two games for the tampering, but i'm not seeing anything about Thompson also being suspended. Did that happen, too?

No. He just stinks and doesn't play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom