Mr. ACC David Teel again advocating a divisional shuffle | Syracusefan.com

Mr. ACC David Teel again advocating a divisional shuffle

Alsacs

Living Legend
http://www.dailypress.com/sports/te...lemson-gt-division-switch,0,1855012,full.post

COASTAL ATLANTIC

Virginia Tech Clemson

Miami Florida State

Louisville Georgia Tech

Pittsburgh Syracuse

North Carolina N.C. State

Virginia Boston College

Duke Wake Forest

I don't think this will happen or is good, but Teel is continuing to bang the drum.

This won't happen because it would kill the Georgia Tech-Duke rivalry which won't happen as its the longest rivalry in the South.

Umm, no... UNC vs UVa is the souths oldest rivalry. dook and GT first played in 1933, UNC and UVa started playing in 1892...

The South's Oldest Rivalry

My bad on UNC-UVA.

Laura Keeley on twitter doesn't thing Duke cares about playing Ga. Tech annually thus that would be a huge hurtle if the ACC wanted to actual consider this switch. Ga. Tech-Duke would be the biggest problem IMO as the switch wouldn't hurt anyone else really.

Umm, no... UNC vs UVa is the souths oldest rivalry. dook and GT first played in 1933, UNC and UVa started playing in 1892...

The South's Oldest Rivalry
And we played Wake in our 1st game in 1888, but we have played UVA the most of any rivalry in the South.

GT began playing Dook annually when GT was in the SEC and Dook was still in the SoCon. There is no way GT would agree to leave a division with Dook, and that goes at least double if that division also has UNC and UVA.

Nor would any team in the Coastal agree to that switch for potential recruiting reasons. It would mean that the Atlantic has all 3 schools in the Deep South (Miami is Caribbean, not Deep South).

The ACC does need Clemson-VT to be played more often. End divisions, and they will play twice every 4 years.

My bad on UNC-UVA.

Laura Keeley on twitter doesn't thing Duke cares about playing Ga. Tech annually thus that would be a huge hurtle if the ACC wanted to actual consider this switch. Ga. Tech-Duke would be the biggest problem IMO as the switch wouldn't hurt anyone else really.

UNC would fight to keep UVa and dook ( UVa even moreso than dook ) on the schedule.
NC State would fight to keep UNC on the schedule, no other game matters to them.
Clemson will fight to keep FSU and GT
FSU will fight for ( in approximate order ) Miami, Clemson, and GT.
Miami will fight for FSU
VT will fight for UVa, after that they swing wildly on who they want to play.
UVa will fight for UNC and VT.
Wake, who knows or cares? Their only constant is hating UNC.
dook wants UNC.
GT wants Clemson and FSU, in that order.

Y'all would know the pecking order for the newer/northern ACC schools better than I would.

And we played Wake in our 1st game in 1888, but we have played UVA the most of any rivalry in the South.

GT began playing Dook annually when GT was in the SEC and Dook was still in the SoCon. There is no way GT would agree to leave a division with Dook, and that goes at least double if that division also has UNC and UVA.

Nor would any team in the Coastal agree to that switch for potential recruiting reasons. It would mean that the Atlantic has all 3 schools in the Deep South (Miami is Caribbean, not Deep South).

The ACC does need Clemson-VT to be played more often. End divisions, and they will play twice every 4 years.

True on GT, but they want to play Clemson and FSU more. Unless they would want to drop one of those for dook, just in the interest of easing up on the SOS.

My bad on UNC-UVA.

The four ACC schools south of NC were split with 2 in each division to have geographic balance in the conference. If GT is traded for UofL, that geographic balance is gone, and it could shift recruiting balance between the divisions a great deal.

It has 0 chance of passing.

The four ACC schools south of NC were split with 2 in each division to have geographic balance in the conference. If GT is traded for UofL, that geographic balance is gone, and it could shift recruiting balance between the divisions a great deal.

It has 0 chance of passing.
You guys would know I would wonder why Teel proposes these things then he and David Glenn are the best ACC people to read/listen too.

You guys would know I would wonder why Teel proposes these things then he and David Glenn are the best ACC people to read/listen too.
Teel's only faults are that he sometimes gets 1 idea in his head and seeing all the good from it cannot see the bad that is around it, and that he often looks at things with an eye to how they would be best for a VA school.

Both of those are part of this. Yes, VT-Clemson would be an SEC type rivalry that would help ACC football, but there are a host of issues beside that 1 positive.

As long as we have divisions, we are stuck with trying to maintain balance between them. And that means some games that we need to see played more often cannot be played often. The only solution is the radical one: end divisions. That way, we all play everyone in the league at least twice every 4 years.

And if the schools and ESPN decide that VT-Clemson should become annual, then that can be done.

Who cares, that's just rearranging the deck chairs. Nothing should be done with divisions until the NCAA gives clearance to conferences to organize however they want in order to facilitate a championship game.

And when that occurs the ACC better damn well blow up divisions and move to a 3-5-5 scheduling format.

Anything else is continuing the scheduling lunacy they've already created.

I was reading one of the preseason mags and it struck me that Louisville in the Coastal would a better competitive balance as VT has been trending down lately and Miami has not gotten back to its prior level. Of course, competitiveness of divisions are difficult to predict due to the yo-yoing nature of most college football teams.

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/te...lemson-gt-division-switch,0,1855012,full.post

COASTAL ATLANTIC

Virginia Tech Clemson

Miami Florida State

Louisville Georgia Tech

Pittsburgh Syracuse

North Carolina N.C. State

Virginia Boston College

Duke Wake Forest

I don't think this will happen or is good, but Teel is continuing to bang the drum.

This won't happen because it would kill the Georgia Tech-Duke rivalry which won't happen as its the longest rivalry in the South.

I don't think this will fly due to the fact that I don't think GT wants to be in the Division with both Clemson and FSU. GT also likes playing Duke, UVA, and UNC. They are building a rivalry with VT as well.

What could be changed is swapping Boston College and Louisville as the crossover rivals with UVA and VT. Let VT take Louisville. It could accomplish the same thing as VT-Clemson as long as Louisville stays strong. I'm pretty sure UVA fans would be fine with Boston College. We really have no history with either Louisville or Boston College. But there are a lot of UVA alumni in New England.

Who cares, that's just rearranging the deck chairs. Nothing should be done with divisions until the NCAA gives clearance to conferences to organize however they want in order to facilitate a championship game.

And when that occurs the ACC better damn well blow up divisions and move to a 3-5-5 scheduling format.

Anything else is continuing the scheduling lunacy they've already created.
It is lunacy, but it was necessary.
I was reading one of the preseason mags and it struck me that Louisville in the Coastal would a better competitive balance as VT has been trending down lately and Miami has not gotten back to its prior level. Of course, competitiveness of divisions are difficult to predict due to the yo-yoing nature of most college football teams.
The SEC East for a time, when Florida and Tennessee were both Top 10 and UGa was Top 15, was better than the SEC West, which now dominates.

Superficial observers assumed the Big 12 was balanced, but the fact was that when the league was formed, both UT and OU were down, far down, at the same time. Added to OU and UT being way down, Nebraska was in one of its 2 all time best periods. When things retuned to normal, the Big 12 South was clearly, far and away, the much better division. The reasons for that are: TX produces more talent than the rest of the Big 12 states combined; the state of TX is much sexier than the states of NE, IA, KS, and MO combined; 5 of the 7 wealthiest athletics departments in the Big 12 were in the South; 3 of the 4 largest football fan bases were in the South.

As long as the ACC has divisions, those divisions must be well balanced in terms of access to recruits and average attendance and TV drawing power and football history and wealth of athletics departments. If not, there will be issues that could fracture the league.

GATech really isn't worried about playing FSU, that is just an FSU fan claim. GTech is where they want to be. Switching GATech for Louisville just makes their shot at a division title harder going through Syracuse, Clemson and FSU instead of Miami and VATech.

The divisions will not change unless the NCAA allows conferences to decide how their champions will be named.

too hard to make everyone happy best course of action is the 3-5-5

GATech really isn't worried about playing FSU, that is just an FSU fan claim. GTech is where they want to be. Switching GATech for Louisville just makes their shot at a division title harder going through Syracuse, Clemson and FSU instead of Miami and VATech.

The divisions will not change unless the NCAA allows conferences to decide how their champions will be named.
There are quite a few FSU alums in the Atlanta area, and a large number of FSU fans who live in south GA and would be happy to drive to Atlanta. And GT needs fans of visitors. But GT will not trade divisions to have FSU fans fill Bobby Dodd once every other year.

Couple of points -

Clemson and NC State want to play each other. They call it the Textile Bowl. The three partners in 3-5-5 for State will probably be UNC, Wake, and Clemson.

Free Seafood University says they want Ga Tech as a partner in 3-5-5 because Ga Tech is the ACC team closest to Tally.

Divisions just leave way to much of a window for the best two teams not being able to play the ACC Championship game. Put them all in one group and the top two go plus we keep the 3-5 and it actually makes sense.

But GT will not trade divisions to have FSU fans fill Bobby Dodd once every other year.
They already face that embarrassment every other year when UGA comes to town.

Couple of points -

Clemson and NC State want to play each other. They call it the Textile Bowl. The three partners in 3-5-5 for State will probably be UNC, Wake, and Clemson.

Free Seafood University says they want Ga Tech as a partner in 3-5-5 because Ga Tech is the ACC team closest to Tally.
That's a leftover from the old ACC. UNC vs. SoCar was the big deal between border state flagship schools, and Clemson vs. MooU pitted the border state Ag schools.

There are quite a few FSU alums in the Atlanta area, and a large number of FSU fans who live in south GA and would be happy to drive to Atlanta. And GT needs fans of visitors. But GT will not trade divisions to have FSU fans fill Bobby Dodd once every other year.

I thought I had read that GT and FSU would both like to play each other each year. Is that just on the FSU side?

This proposal is probably the closest thing they could do to please everyone, but like Scooch said, it's wasted typing if there really is a push to get the NCAA to end their dumb conference championship rule.

What kills me is that I can't believe it would take more than a 1 hour meeting for the NCAA to remove the requirement. It was literally created with no thought at all, it benefits nothing, and was only done as a convenience because that's how they did it in lower divisions. But I'm sure for the sake of the student athlete, they'll create a focus group, and deliberate for months, years, to determine if it's in their best interest to end the rule.

Florida State wouldn't complain if this switch was made. They want more games with Georgia Tech. This switch wouldn't hurt anyone really as Georgia Tech-Louisville would give the ACC a new good rivalry, Virginia Tech-Clemson would be played annually and give ESPN a good TV game, UVA-BC would be played annually, and I mean UNC, Duke would get Louisville annually instead of Georgia Tech wouldn't be that huge a hit.

I get our UNC friends saying its unlikely, but its something to throw FSU a bone if possible it wouldn't kill divisional balance as Louisville is suppose to be a good football team replacing a good football team in Georgia Tech.

I thought I had read that GT and FSU would both like to play each other each year. Is that just on the FSU side?

This proposal is probably the closest thing they could do to please everyone, but like Scooch said, it's wasted typing if there really is a push to get the NCAA to end their dumb conference championship rule.

What kills me is that I can't believe it would take more than a 1 hour meeting for the NCAA to remove the requirement. It was literally created with no thought at all, it benefits nothing, and was only done as a convenience because that's how they did it in lower divisions. But I'm sure for the sake of the student athlete, they'll create a focus group, and deliberate for months, years, to determine if it's in their best interest to end the rule.

FSU looks at that as another home game.

Could be worse...

rp_primary_Football-Divisions-2015.jpg

Both would like it, if they lose nothing else they want in order to get it.

GT has only 1 truly old rivalry in the ACC: Dook. GT is not going to want to lose Dook as an annual game. GT also is not going to favor swapping UNC for MooU, nor will GT favor swapping UVA for BC and VT for Syracuse.

There is virtually 0 chance that GT would agree to trade divisions with Louisville.

Because of numbers of recruits living within 200 miles of each campus, there is virtually 0 chance that other teams in the Coastal would agree to swap GT for the UofL.