Mr. J. Football | Syracusefan.com

Mr. J. Football

Kevin Sumlin accepting 7 figure bonus in large part due to the success of Johnny Manziel = OK

Johnny Manziel profiting monetarily off of his own success in any way = Not OK

College sports!

Brent Axe tweeted that A&M has made over $37m off of Manziel. They're increasing their stadium capacity to 102,500 thanks in part to the hype around the program due to Manziel. CBS is already counting the dollars from the A&M Alabama game. And who knows how much money has really been made off of this, and the countless other NCAA athletes. I doubt there's an nfl team that has facilities as nice as Oregon. In one breath the B1G brags that it will have more money than God and in the next, Delaney threatens that the B1G will drop to D3 if O'Bannon wins his suit.

I know these are just accusations, but I hope Manziel did it and I hope this ends up being just one more event that brings about the downfall of the NCAA.

Brent Axe tweeted that A&M has made over $37m off of Manziel. They're increasing their stadium capacity to 102,500 thanks in part to the hype around the program due to Manziel. CBS is already counting the dollars from the A&M Alabama game. And who knows how much money has really been made off of this, and the countless other NCAA athletes. I doubt there's an nfl team that has facilities as nice as Oregon. In one breath the B1G brags that it will have more money than God and in the next, Delaney threatens that the B1G will drop to D3 if O'Bannon wins his suit.

I know these are just accusations, but I hope Manziel did it and I hope this ends up being just one more event that brings about the downfall of the NCAA.

Be careful what you wish for.

Kevin Sumlin accepting 7 figure bonus in large part due to the success of Johnny Manziel = OK

College sports!
Amateur sports. The college part is incidental.

College sports!
Other way around. Kevin Sumlin's offense drastically increased Manziel's stats. Kevin Sumlin turned Case Keenum into the NCAA's all-time leading passer.

Case Keenum Career Stats.
2007 - 2,259 YRD, 14 TD - 412 RYRD, 9 TD
Kevin Sumlin arrives at Houston.
2008 - 5,020 YRD, 44 TD - 221 RYRD, 7 TD
2009 - 5,671 YRD, 44 TD - 148 RYRD, 4 TD
2010 - 636 YRD, 5 TD - 71 RYRD, 0 TD (Injury, NCAA grants him extra year)
2011 - 5,631 YRD, 48 TD - 35 RYRD, 3 TD

Johnny Manziel Career Stats.
2012 - 3,706 YRD, 26 TD - 1410 RSH, 21 TD

That's all Kevin Sumlin.

Other way around. Kevin Sumlin's offense drastically increased Manziel's stats. Kevin Sumlin turned Case Keenum into the NCAA's all-time leading passer.

Case Keenum Career Stats.
2007 - 2,259 YRD, 14 TD - 412 RYRD, 9 TD
Kevin Sumlin arrives at Houston.
2008 - 5,020 YRD, 44 TD - 221 RYRD, 7 TD
2009 - 5,671 YRD, 44 TD - 148 RYRD, 4 TD
2010 - 636 YRD, 5 TD - 71 RYRD, 0 TD (Injury, NCAA grants him extra year)
2011 - 5,631 YRD, 48 TD - 35 RYRD, 3 TD

Johnny Manziel Career Stats.
2012 - 3,706 YRD, 26 TD - 1410 RSH, 21 TD

That's all Kevin Sumlin.

That isn't my point though. Sumlin could be the best offensive coach in college history, but that wouldn't change the fact that amateurism in college sports is a complete farce. If you must, change the player and coach to Rice and Schiano.

Think of all the money involved with the TV contracts we hear so much about that seem to never stop increasing, the enormous amount of investment in the form of stadium expansions and ridiculously over the top facilities like you see at Alabama and Oregon, the coaches making huge sums of money across the board at the FBS level- yet the players are still amateurs.

What the players receive, a college scholarship, is very valuable. But when you start comparing that to what the colleges, college presidents, ADs, TV networks, and coaches receive from college athletics, what the athletes themselves get looks pretty small.

So when a player could forfeit his ability to play for selling his own signature, it seems really ridiculous.

Plo6XYo.gif

Just great. Alabama's toughest road test got a lot easier if this holds up.

I'm not sure the NCAA is ready to take on the SEC. I hope this sends Silve on a rampage and we finally break up this useless organization.