Mt. Rushmore of Dome games | Syracusefan.com

Mt. Rushmore of Dome games

Mt. Rushmore is 4 and I'll limit myself to close games: 1) Going 11-0 vs. West Virginia in 1980; 2) Three OT win over Villanova in the 1981 Big East Final; 3) Bye Bye John Thompson game; 4) McNabb to Brominski.
WVU was 1987, but you ain't wrong. That one and McNabb to Brominski (The Vomit Bowl I call it) are definitely two for me.

First half of that Oklahoma game was rough
It really was. It was my first game ever in the Dome so it selfishly belongs for me.

I left Nebraska off because I don't recall it. The rest of the games I either watched on tv or in person.

Some really fun times in that dome

1- Football WVU 1987
2- Football Nebraska 1984
3- Basketball BC 1984
4- Football VT 1998

HM's:

Football: Miami 1992 (we lost but that was one helluva comeback), PSU 1987, Florida 1991, Clemson 2017,
Hoops: Gtown 1985, 1990, Duke 2017 (Gillon shot) & 2014 (OT)

Need separate lists for hoops and football.

Football:
1. WVU 87
2. Miami 92
3. PSU 87
4. Fla 91/Tenn 98

All these games were significant on the national stage. Had great down-to-the-wire finishes and/or just a highly competitive electric atmosphere.

Last edited:
the win vs Miami in 98 was one for the ages,
that 98 Miami game is a tad overvalued in my opinion. it was a feel-good game, Mcnabb’s senior day and clinched the orange bowl. But dig deeper - this was a Syracuse team that bungled several wins away and, while it had significant implications in the Big East race, by late November the matchup wasn’t nationally relevant. When they lost at NCSt the air went out of the balloon on that season. Same might be said in 97. Ugh.

If we had even slightly better line play in both trenches the 97/98 ceiling could’ve been so much higher.

Last edited:
Disclaimer: Didn't start going to games until freshman year, 1991. And only picking games I attended.

1. 1998 - VT, craziest finish
2. 1991 - Florida, craziest start
3. 1998 - Miami, McNabb senior day, destroyed Miami. Never seen a senior get a pre-game ovation like that.
4. 1992 - Miami, a devastating loss. But a Dome atmosphere like no other game.

Random honorable mentions, all football unless noted:

1992 Texas
1994 Kentucky hoops
1994 Oklahoma
1995 WVU
1996 VT
1997 WVU
1998 Tennessee
2001 Auburn
2001 BC (the day I met the board legends)
2002 VT
2003 ND
2009 Rutgers
2011 Wake Forest
2016 Louisville - just watching the Lamar Jackson show

Last edited:
The Clemson upset isn't on anyone's lists?
It was a fantastic win, but it was not a particularly memorable game, at least for me. I remember with about 7 minutes left in the fourth quarter finally allowing myself to believe they could actually win. I don’t remember any plays. I don’t remember any real drama. I just remember wanting the clock to expire faster. When it finally did, they had won.

Edit: I do remember “let’s go Orange” chants in the hallways afterwards.

Last edited:
Edit: id even add Purdue in 22 for recency bias
Zero recency bias there. 2022 Purdue is easily a Top 10 football game in Dome history. Probably Top 5.

It was 10-9 SU with 12 minutes left in the game, and both teams then combined to score 42 more points in regulation. The game had seven lead changes, five of which were in the 4th quarter. The pass from Garrett to OG was fairly miraculous to preserve a then undefeated season.

Last edited:
That damn nc state game still haunts me. McNabb threw an 80 yd td first play from scrimmage. Coming off the Ron Great Dayne beatdown the week before. Ugh.
I've never had a harder time getting over a football game than that one. I walked around like a zombie for a week. After the Wisconsin opener it really felt like that could be a magical year.

Zero recency bias there. 2022 Purdue is easily a Top 10 football game in Dome history. Probably Top 5.

It was 10-9 SU with 12 minutes left in the game, and both teams then combined to score 42 points in regulation. The game had seven lead changes, five of which were in the 4th quarter. The pass from Garrett to OG was fairly miraculous to preserve a then undefeated season.
Yet the game was essentially decided by an incredible series of unsportamanlike penalties on Purdue in the last minute.

I've never had a harder time getting over a football game than that one. I walked around like a zombie for a week. After the Wisconsin opener it really felt like that could be a magical year.

And that was the night Princess Di died.

Both the 1997 and 1998 NC State games were soul-crushing upset losses, (and terrible performances) just when we thought we were going to make history.

If I recall correctly, you and I have had a brief convo on this board regarding that awful, awful, 61-0 vt game we were both at in Blacksburgh...and yet, that GD nc state game in 97 sits worse in my memory. Nc state tossing helmets in the air after the 2 pt convo in ot. Heart meet attack again, all these yrs later.

Also, appropriately, the f ing game at nc state the next yr at carter finley, my fam and I went down for that thurs night game when torry holt ripped us apart on espn. I remember the stadium handed out tens of thousands of printed cardboard posters on entry that said 'go pack, beat su' on one side. And 'sponsored by carrier corp' on the other. We were all like, whaaaat the actual f...Carrier actually publicly issued an apology a couple days later, wonder why.

Yeah, nc state holds a real, real, legit special place in hell for me.