Mt. Rushmore of Dome games | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Mt. Rushmore of Dome games

Both the 1997 and 1998 NC State games were soul-crushing upset losses, (and terrible performances) just when we thought we were going to make history.
When you have great skill position talent but mediocre lines you get volatility, unpredictability. Some of it was boneheaded coaching, sure, but the McNabb teams just didn't have enough in the trenches to get over the hump in those 4 years.

that 98 Miami game is a tad overvalued in my opinion. it was a feel-good game, Mcnabb’s senior day and clinched the orange bowl. But dig deeper - this was a Syracuse team that bungled several wins away and, while it had significant implications in the Big East race, by late November the matchup wasn’t nationally relevant. When they lost at NCSt the air went out of the balloon on that season. Same might be said in 97. Ugh.

If we had even slightly better line play in both trenches the 97/98 ceiling could’ve been so much higher.
I agree but to kick them in the rocks for once at home after some really humiliating losses to them (and heartbreak ones) made it feel all the more special.

I think Miami in the 80s/90s was something a bit different. Not sure any school has replicated that level of bravado, talent, intimidation since. I took great pleasure in running up the score. I think in the Miami Doc on espn they mention this game as a real low point for the U

It does not belong because it was a down-season, but Virginia Tech in 2002 was pretty exciting.
2000 was exciting too, even though it was a loss.

Jumped on em early. Freeney put Vick in his place until he got hurt. Then we just couldn't close it out.

That game belongs on the Rushmore of Pasqualoni doubleU Tee Fudge Losses. There were a lot of those in the McNabb years.

If there's a gut punch Dome game Mount Rushmore, mine is:

1992 Miami
1997 NC State
1998 Tennessee
1994 Oklahoma

In that order. Followed closely by 1999 Michigan, 1991 East Carolina, 1996 Miami, 1994 Miami.

I couldn't attend 2000 VT, but if I did...

I agree but to kick them in the rocks for once at home after some really humiliating losses to them (and heartbreak ones) made it feel all the more special.

I think Miami in the 80s/90s was something a bit different. Not sure any school has replicated that level of bravado, talent, intimidation since. I took great pleasure in running up the score. I think in the Miami Doc on espn they mention this game as a real low point for the U
Yes it was a strong finish to what was an up-and-down regular season. Thanksgiving weekend, McNabb gets a rousing ovation, it was a fitting end to his career. The game itself, however, was more therapeutic than anything else because we simply couldn't beat them at home. For some perspective, however, just keep in mind we did beat them a year earlier at their place. By the late 90s Miami was a shell of their former self.

Re: their rep in the 80s, hell yes. Early 90s, hell yes. But by the mid 90s the NCAA took a closer look and cracked down on some of the off-the-field "violations" and the refs started throwing flags for celebrating and taunting, and the Canes were never the same. And I miss that terribly.

That 98 win was a nice Hallmark happy ending type of affair. Hit the feels as whippersnappers would say. I just personally don't think it carried the same gravitas as some of the other games mentioned in this thread. It's a notch below.

Last edited:

1992 Miami
1997 NC State
1998 Tennessee
1994 Oklahoma

In that order. Followed closely by 1999 Michigan, 1991 East Carolina, 1996 Miami, 1994 Miami.

Boy, ouch, that sure is indeed the Rushmore of gut punch. I was at all of em. Each one still haunts my memory. Oh those were awful to stomach. Still are. That Tennessee game was a rob job. My senior year a bunch of us went to the return game in knoxville to see us lose. I really hate Tennessee.

It was a game where you could imagine something good happen, open your eyes and it would. (Belief with evidence.)

1992 Miami
1997 NC State
1998 Tennessee
1994 Oklahoma

A couple more recent soul crushers I would add:

2009 Minnesota: Marrone's first game. We played very well, but Paulus threw a terrible INT on our first OT possession which sealed the loss.

2012 Northwestern: We were down 35-13 mid-third quarter, went on a furious rally to take the lead late. Keon Lyn's late hit personal foul (which was questionable) killed us. Prior to that game, the school record for completions in a game was 29. Nassib threw 44 completions.

2009 Minnesota: Marrone's first game. We played very well, but Paulus threw a terrible INT on our first OT possession which sealed the loss.

2012 Northwestern: We were down 35-13 mid-third quarter, went on a furious rally to take the lead late. Keon Lyn's late hit personal foul (which was questionable) killed us. Prior to that game, the school record for completions in a game was 29. Nassib threw 44 completions.

Yes, and I attended both of those as well. Should go on the list.

And how could I forget 2006 Iowa?? Which I also attended.

Boy, ouch, that sure is indeed the Rushmore of gut punch. I was at all of em. Each one still haunts my memory. Oh those were awful to stomach. Still are. That Tennessee game was a rob job. My senior year a bunch of us went to the return game in knoxville to see us lose. I really hate Tennessee.

We may have lost the game, but I felt like my trip to Knoxville was a W. We had such an incredible time down there.

Well, maybe not Millhouse when I outed him to a group of barely dressed future supermodels in the girls bathroom line at the bar.

That damn nc state game still haunts me. McNabb threw an 80 yd td first play from scrimmage. Coming off the Ron Great Dayne beatdown the week before. Ugh.
And I remember McNabb uncharacteristically having a meltdown on the sideline after the D got torched in the second quarter. It was 28-10 at the half.

Yes it was a strong finish to what was an up-and-down regular season. Thanksgiving weekend, McNabb gets a rousing ovation, it was a fitting end to his career. The game itself, however, was more therapeutic than anything else because we simply couldn't beat them at home. For some perspective, however, just keep in mind we did beat them a year earlier at their place. By the late 90s Miami was a shell of their former self.

Re: their rep in the 80s, hell yes. Early 90s, hell yes. But by the mid 90s the NCAA took a closer look and cracked down on some of the off-the-field "violations" and the refs started throwing flags for celebrating and taunting, and the Canes were never the same. And I miss that terribly.

That 98 win was a nice Hallmark happy ending type of affair. Hit the feels as whippersnappers would say. I just personally don't think it carried the same gravitas as some of the other games mentioned in this thread. It's a notch below.
Never the same? Their 2001 team is the best team in the history of the sport.

Should have been back to back champ in 2002. Still pretty good in 2003, but not the same level.

They stopped being that version of the U once they started in the ACC in 2004.

Yes I forgot about those rebound years. But even then, you couldn't hate those teams the same way you hated in the 80s and 90s.

It does not belong because it was a down-season, but Virginia Tech in 2002 was pretty exciting.
I'd offer that in a vacuum, this VT/2002 game was the best singular game in the history of the Dome.
So many ups and downs. It was not the biggest game consequentially, although beating No. 7 VT is nothing to sneeze at. For those too young, do yourself a favor and watch these extensive highlights:

I'd offer that in a vacuum, this VT/2002 game was the best singular game in the history of the Dome.
So many ups and downs. It was not the biggest game consequentially, although beating No. 7 VT is nothing to sneeze at. For those too young, do yourself a favor and watch these extensive highlights:
I agree, it was a bad 4 win season so we tend to overlook this one. Its probly the single most exciting game overall in the Dome from start to finish.

It was a night game and quite a rollercoaster ride. I think I jumped from the upper deck onto the field after the game.

I think that was the game where Jerome Smith failed to catch a pass to the sidelines, said "Aw...shucks" and just stared at it as a Wildcat scooped it up and ran for a score. And we lost, 41-42.

I distinctly remember there was an older couple sitting in front of us during that game, and they were Yankee fans. There was a Yankee playoff game happening at the same time, and each time it looked like SU was done against VT, they would get up and start walking out so they could get home and watch it, but then rushed back to their seats when we were still alive. This literally happened like three times.

I agree, it was a bad 4 win season so we tend to overlook this one. Its probly the single most exciting game overall in the Dome from start to finish.
Great game in a season where we played the worst D I had ever seen us play until Dino’s first season.