Munson with another shot at getting into Cooperstown | Syracusefan.com

Munson with another shot at getting into Cooperstown

I'm biased as all get-out about Thurm -- met him when I went to college, covered him as a sportswriter in college and the real world, had a good relationship with him -- but, that caveat aside, I say it's time for the straw that stirred the Yankees drink to get his rightful spot in Cooperstown.

Munson, Evans, Whitaker on HOF panel's ballot
I would love to see it, too. There are a number of worthy candidates on that list, IMO, starting with Marvin Miller.

The composition of the 16-person Modern Baseball Era committee will be a determining factor. I wasn't able find the names of the committee members on the HoF website or elsewhere, but I'll keep looking.

I would love to see it, too. There are a number of worthy candidates on that list, IMO, starting with Marvin Miller.

The composition of the 16-person Modern Baseball Era committee will be a determining factor. I wasn't able find the names of the committee members on the HoF website or elsewhere, but I'll keep looking.
The Modern Baseball Era ballot was determined this fall by the Historical Overview Committee, comprised of 11 veteran historians: Bob Elliott (formerly Toronto Sun); Jim Henneman (formerly Baltimore Sun); Rick Hummel (St. Louis Post-Dispatch); Steve Hirdt (formerly Elias Sports Bureau); Bill Madden (formerly New York Daily News); Jack O’Connell (BBWAA); Jim Reeves(formerly Fort Worth Star-Telegram); Tracy Ringolsby (MLB.com); Glenn Schwarz (formerly San Francisco Chronicle); Dave van Dyck (formerly Chicago Tribune); and Mark Whicker (Los Angeles News Group).

The Modern Baseball Era ballot was determined this fall by the Historical Overview Committee, comprised of 11 veteran historians: Bob Elliott (formerly Toronto Sun); Jim Henneman (formerly Baltimore Sun); Rick Hummel (St. Louis Post-Dispatch); Steve Hirdt (formerly Elias Sports Bureau); Bill Madden (formerly New York Daily News); Jack O’Connell (BBWAA); Jim Reeves(formerly Fort Worth Star-Telegram); Tracy Ringolsby (MLB.com); Glenn Schwarz (formerly San Francisco Chronicle); Dave van Dyck (formerly Chicago Tribune); and Mark Whicker (Los Angeles News Group).

Thanks. It looks like that group selected the people on the ballot, but the actual committee that will vote to select inductees hasn't been announced yet.

So much for Thurm's chances. Nothing but alta kocker sportswriters. He didn't have a good relationship with the media.

Thurm had an edge -- he once told me he had watched teammates' careers go into the dumper because of the pressure of playing in NY and he was determined not to let it happen to him. He'd have a better chance of getting to Cooperstown, I think, if the committee were diversified.

What say thee, KaiserUEO?

Thanks. It looks like that group selected the people on the ballot, but the actual committee that will vote to select inductees hasn't been announced yet.
Ah, you're probably right. :oops:

So much for Thurm's chances. Nothing but alta kocker sportswriters. He didn't have a good relationship with the media.

Thurm had an edge -- he once told me he had watched teammates' careers go into the dumper because of the pressure of playing in NY and he was determined not to let it happen to him. He'd have a better chance of getting to Cooperstown, I think, if the committee were diversified.

Here is an article that makes the case. I always viewed the push as romanticizing fans doing their thing. Then again, I can't stand the Yankees.

Got to put him in!!

This is the right year too win Jeter going in and all the Yankee fans already headed there.

I’m afraid The anti-Yankee bis will keep Donnie Baseball out though.

In this steroid era, if we don’t put a guy like Munson in, then the whole HOF is just a sham.

Put in 20 more Harold Blaine’s, Jack Morris’, Jim Rice’s and other assorted stars for a short time who compiled longer.

It’s Bullshit without both Thurm and Donnie, but let’s get Thurm in 1st.

Got to put him in!!

This is the right year too win Jeter going in and all the Yankee fans already headed there.

I’m afraid The anti-Yankee bis will keep Donnie Baseball out though.

In this steroid era, if we don’t put a guy like Munson in, then the whole HOF is just a sham.

Put in 20 more Harold Blaine’s, Jack Morris’, Jim Rice’s and other assorted stars for a short time who compiled longer.

It’s Bullshit without both Thurm and Donnie, but let’s get Thurm in 1st.
Neither deserve to get in the Hall of Fame. kaiser, does Dwight Evens deserve to be in the Hall of fame?

Neither deserve to get in the Hall of Fame. kaiser, does Dwight Evens deserve to be in the Hall of fame?
W/O looking at numbers, I think Evan's over Mattingly, who was part NY hype.

W/O looking at numbers, I think Evan's over Mattingly, who was part NY hype.
Evens 385 HR 1384 Rbi BA .272 8 gold gloves
Donnie M 222 HR 1099 RBI BA .307 9 Gold gloves
Munson 113 HR 701 RBI BA .292 3 gold gloves

I put Jim Kaat in above all the older guys that haven't got in. I also like Luis Tiant. But if they are going to put in Harold Baines, that would open the door for a lot of guys. Bill Maz as well.

I put Jim Kaat in above all the older guys that haven't got in. I also like Luis Tiant. But if they are going to put in Harold Baines, that would open the door for a lot of guys. Bill Maz as well.
Mazeroski was inducted in 2001.

I know. I don't care when he got in. He wasn't close to being a Hall of famer.
In for his superior glove and longevity, as are many guys. And in his day, not many second basemen put up big offensive numbers anyway.

In for his superior glove and longevity, as are many guys. And in his day, not many second basemen put up big offensive numbers anyway.
If Kenny Hubbs didn't die, he doesn't win any of those gold gloves after Hubbs came along. I know what if. I also think about what the Browns would have done with Davis and Brown. Would that have effected Lombardi's legacy. The Browns won in '64 as it was. Hubbs, by the way, was the first rookie to ever win the gold glove.

next man in should be bobby grich or it's all meaningless

imho, of course

If Kenny Hubbs didn't die, he doesn't win any of those gold gloves after Hubbs came along. I know what if. I also think about what the Browns would have done with Davis and Brown. Would that have effected Lombardi's legacy. The Browns won in '64 as it was. Hubbs, by the way, was the first rookie to ever win the gold glove.
That's one argument for keeping Mazeroski out I hadn't heard.

Evans > Baines

Hitting and definitely fielding.

think Kaat and Tommy John should be there too.

I’d listen to be persuaded on Tiant.

He’s in the smoking a cigar in the shower HOF already!

Dave Parker should get in before any of the players on that ballot.

Munson is (rightly) judged differently, due to catching.

I would have Morris in. When I think of great post season pitching in my lifetime, Morris and Smoltz come to mind.

Munson is (rightly) judged differently, due to catching.

I would have Morris in. When I think of great post season pitching in my lifetime, Morris and Smoltz come to mind.
Curt Schilling has them all beat for post season pitching.
Schilling 11-2 2.23 era
Morris 7-4 3.80 era
Smoltz 15-4 2.67 era
The amazing thing about Schilling, and Buster Olney did a report on this, he left games with the lead where he ended with no decision.

Curt Schilling has them all beat for post season pitching.
Schilling 11-2 2.23 era
Morris 7-4 3.80 era
Smoltz 15-4 2.67 era
The amazing thing about Schilling, and Buster Olney did a report on this, he left games with the lead where he ended with no decision.
Schilling should get in the normal way if people just knocked the stupid shlit off and did their job.

Someone coming up is 19-11 3.81

HOF

Let's be honest; he's in for his homer to win the 1960 series over the Yankees.