MUST win Saturday or say goodbye to being ranked | Syracusefan.com

MUST win Saturday or say goodbye to being ranked

Lose saturday and the dreaded bubble word will make its way back to the board.

Winning is important to have a good OOC record when March comes. Ranking means nothing.

Maybe it was good for this team to have their bubble burst a bit. In Atlantis, the fought every game and scrapped / clawed out victories. Last night, they just seemed to go through the motions. Maybe they got a bit too full of themselves, or got comfortable reading their press clippings. Yesterday's loss should bring them back down to earth, and give the coaches something to ride them about in practice.

RF2044 said:
Maybe it was good for this team to have their bubble burst a bit. In Atlantis, the fought every game and scrapped / clawed out victories. Last night, they just seemed to go through the motions. Maybe they got a bit too full of themselves, or got comfortable reading their press clippings. Yesterday's loss should bring them back down to earth, and give the coaches something to ride them about in practice.

Kinda wish we hadn't made such a big jump in the rankings. Sorta saw this coming after the Atlantis trip.

The only plus of this game is that it's a definite learning experience for all concerned. I don't get it, though. Don't get how they could not be excited about keeping the sizzle going after realizing they could do it in Atlanta.

That's BS. Wisconsin's plodding style of play lulled everyone to sleep. The zone lets the other team dictate tempo - nothing new there. Sure we could've /should've won if a few more shots dropped... but why on earth should it come down to a few missed shots? Whisky is BAD. Perhaps the most unathletic P5 team I have seen in years. Poor ball handlers. But they can make smart passes. So yes let's sit in a zone and play to their only strength as a team. I get it we won't ever switch out of it until JB leaves - but man that was like watching the Vermont upset re-enactment.

That's BS. Wisconsin's plodding style of play lulled everyone to sleep. The zone lets the other team dictate tempo - nothing new there. Sure we could've /should've won if a few more shots dropped... but why on earth should it come down to a few missed shots? Whisky is BAD. Perhaps the most unathletic P5 team I have seen in years. Poor ball handlers. But they can make smart passes. So yes let's sit in a zone and play to their only strength as a team. I get it we won't ever switch out of it until JB leaves - but man that was like watching the Vermont upset re-enactment.

What's BS? That we didn't fight harder in Atlantis than the effort we saw last night?

Your take is complete BS. It came down to a few missed shots despite:
  • The fact that Lydon, Richarson, Cooney, and Roberson all had between 2-4 points in the first half
  • We got outrebounded 51-25
  • We shot 55% from the free throw stripe [11-20]
  • The two bigs we played were in huge foul trouble, which enabled Wisconsin to indiscriminantly attack the basket inside
  • We turned the ball over too much
  • Coleman played 5 minutes despite the fact that we were playing a bigger team that was killing us on the glass
  • Our wunderkind two frosh who've been contributing double digit scoring didn't bring that last night
  • We went through lengthy stretches in BOTH halves where we didn't score
And DESPITE all that, all we had to do was make 1 more FT and we win in regulation. Despite all of those other factors, don't turn the ball over on the last possession and we have a chance to win. That we stayed in zone was about the 20th most important factor related to why we lost.

Save your agenda for another post that has anything to do with the dead horse you like to beat.

Last edited:
Save your agenda for another post that has anything to do with the dead horse you like to beat.
Agenda? Maybe we don't get killed by 50 rebounds if we had the audacity to throw out some 3/4 court traps, never mind m2m. Maybe we can force their slow nonathletic ball-handlers into more turnovers and speed up the game a bit. Did you even watch any of the other Wisconsin games? I'd rather have our guys foul out trying to impose our advantages on the weaklings than to watch that travesty unfold.

But sure, let's just blame everything on missed shots and let fear of foul trouble dictate everything. It's less painful and embarrassing to blame a loss on missed shots, I'll agree on that.

Winning is important to have a good OOC record when March comes. Ranking means nothing.
How much weight will the committee put on games played during JB's suspension? Will a lose on Sat be weighted that heavily being Hopkins FIRST GAME EVER as head coach?

Agenda? Maybe we don't get killed by 50 rebounds if we had the audacity to throw out some 3/4 court traps, never mind m2m. Maybe we can force their slow nonathletic ball-handlers into more turnovers and speed up the game a bit. Did you even watch any of the other Wisconsin games? I'd rather have our guys foul out trying to impose our advantages on the weaklings than to watch that travesty unfold.

But sure, let's just blame everything on missed shots and let fear of foul trouble dictate everything. It's less painful and embarrassing to blame a loss on missed shots, I'll agree on that.

How long have you inhabited this delusional fantasy land where you think it is worthwhile to be indignant arguing about JB playing 100% zone? It's equally funny, pointless, and unfortunate.

Here's an epiphany for you, James Naismith: the name of the game is to outscore the opposition. If you can't wrap you mouth breaking analysis around how missing 9 free throws cost us in a game tied at the end of regulation that went to overtime, then it is time for you to take your sign and go sit in the corner while the people who actually know what the F they are talking about go back to discussing the game.

There are literally a dozen+ other things that were more impactful on the outcome than us staying in zone. Yet somehow, you managed to miss them all because you're so focused on a dopey agenda.

3/4 court traps? That's because the full court press they tried looked SOOOOOO good? Who's going to defend the basket? One of the 2 guys in foul trouble? Or the guy who still hasn't shown he can play defense? Or maybe the 9th schollie guy who often looks lost out there? Actually the last is probably the best choice.

3/4 court traps? That's because the full court press they tried looked SOOOOOO good? Who's going to defend the basket? One of the 2 guys in foul trouble? Or the guy who still hasn't shown he can play defense? Or maybe the 9th schollie guy who often looks lost out there? Actually the last is probably the best choice.

Don't bother--why would we worry about two players being in foul trouble? Why let fear of foul trouble dictate everything? It's less painful and embarrassing to blame a loss on us playing zone than to focus on what actually happened.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxfan516

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom