My 2 cents on the QB situation | Syracusefan.com

My 2 cents on the QB situation

AKA my first foray at long form blogging...

Be easy on me haha
Congrats on your first article, FreakTalksAboutSU

With respect to this take in your article: "Why? Is it because Tommy DeVito is unable to make the other throws? My hunch says he can make them, but I don’t see him in practice. Or, on the other hand, is the coaching staff simply refusing to call those passing plays for him?"

There are other reasons for what you described other than the QB or play calling. Every defense we faced was able to control the LOS and the running game using a very lite box (using 5-6 guys), or by overwhelming the OL on passing downs or, for that matter any time they wanted. This allowed the D to take away the running game, the screen game, and most of the mid-range of the "tree" (not sure DB uses a passing tree concept, but that's a different discussion).

If you have to max protect to allow routes to develop, you often have 2-3 receivers playing against 5 or 6 defenders. Hard to call plays, or make throws, into that mismatch.

That's a fair point. It's absolutely a factor. I still think there are more options (slants, etc) than the simple dumps and chucks. It's a chicken and egg thing...running more intermediate patterns is hard to do with the D cheating like you say, but won't stop cheating till you use more of the field.

Last edited:
Nice work and I love the take and the visual imagery of the tree.

I'm a summerphile and when I start writing my SU football preview, I always feel like it's fall already. So I wait until August 1st to start it. I'm already thinking about it and my fingers are itchy. Sunday is the day! (Although I won't post it until it's done and I have a chance to hear some reports from practice, including who hasn't showed up or gotten hurt.)

Nice work and I love the take and the visual imagery of the tree.

I'm a summerphile and when I start writing my SU football preview, I always feel like it's fall already. So I wait until August 1st to start it. I'm already thinking about it and my fingers are itchy. Sunday is the day! (Although I won't post it until it's done and I have a chance to hear some reports from practice, including who hasn't showed up or gotten hurt.)
Looking forward to it. You always do a nice job. I think we’re about ready to get into some position detail discussions.

Good article.
It very well may be the play calling but I saw the same issues with TD in 2019 before Gilbert arrived. It is possible that the play calling is limited because the staff does not feel comfortable calling those plays for the qbs on the field. The line also contributed to the problems but were not the only one.
If it is the play calling DB will go down with the ship for his hiring of Gilbert. If it’s unable to execute there will be a change.
Time will tell.

Good article.
It very well may be the play calling but I saw the same issues with TD in 2019 before Gilbert arrived. It is possible that the play calling is limited because the staff does not feel comfortable calling those plays for the qbs on the field. The line also contributed to the problems but were not the only one.
If it is the play calling DB will go down with the ship for his hiring of Gilbert. If it’s unable to execute there will be a change.
Time will tell.
It’s not real hard to suss out. It’s the OL being awful 1st. That leads to all the other things being sped up and worse. It also makes it hard to judge playcalling and decision making.

Last edited:
Look i really dont care I dont count responses or likes. But we had a good discussion going around the topic and every post between Friday and yesterday is gone. Whatev

EDIT- Alas, I just the post on the lax board. Explains it...moving on

I honestly think against Ohio you will see both qbs get series. Similar to the wmu game dungeys senior year. Where both qbs got series in that game even after the score got close again.