My beef with Gonzaga | Syracusefan.com

My beef with Gonzaga

Eh, whatever. Everybody else keeps losing. I'm sure they'll lose this week as the #1, just like everyone else has.

My beef is that they're not all that good.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Gongaga has 2 NBA players on their roster. They are not a fluke. Plus they have a pretty solid guard in Pangos.

If people are basing their assumptions on looking at a resume as opposed to watching them then do yourself a favor and watch them.

We've heard this all before from Mark Few and the Zags. Time to put up or shut up. They'll be gone by the Sweet 16...again. Hopefully nobody openly weeps like Adam Morrison this time around.

They have 5 Sweet 16's and an Elite 8 since 1999. We aren't much better, though we did have the National Championship. Gonzaga has earned it's ranking.

I usually agree with the "Gonzaga doesn't play against anyone good" argument, but this year they're legit. The Olynik/Harris/Bell Jr. combo is among the best there is, and when you throw in Pangos and Dower (and Hart, too, for that matter) you got a helluva squad.
Not sure how they'll fare in the coming weeks, but they've got as good a chance as any team and probably do deserve a 1 seed at this point.

Ok. State and K. State are both ranked.

I'm sure Gonzaga would have a couple more losses if they played in the Big 10 or BE, but they've pretty much done all that can be expected of them this year. If they run the table, they deserve the spoils.

thats why im having a hard time putting gonzaga as #1 seed even as comparing resumes with georgetown and miami seems similar and miami/gtown face more quality opponents in the league( i do have gonzaga as a 2 out west though)

Well, unfortunately they are better than us at this point so I'd rather root for them and St. Louis than Duke and Indiana.

Gongaga has 2 NBA players on their roster. They are not a fluke. Plus they have a pretty solid guard in Pangos.

If people are basing their assumptions on looking at a resume as opposed to watching them then do yourself a favor and watch them.
Marsh I have watched them.

I watched them lose to a Butler team that's not very good - with Clarke out.

I didn't see the Illinois game, but they lost at home vs. Illinois by 11

They squeaked by Ok St 69-68 - that's their only big win this year.

All I'm saying is if SU and Zaga switched schedules, the records would be very very similar to this point. SU would most likely have at most 2 losses and Zaga would have at least 5

Tell me which of these games Gonzaga would win right now

@ UL
Home vs. UL
@ Gtown
home vs. Gtown
@ Nova
home vs. Nova
@ Pitt
@ Marquette
@ UConn
home vs. ND
Home vs. Cincy

If you think they would go undefeated in the BE then there's a bridge in Solvay I can sell you.

Well, unfortunately they are better than us at this point so I'd rather root for them and St. Louis than Duke and Indiana.
Agreed - I'm rooting for them vs. any power 6 team, I just don't buy the hype. I'd love to see them take down Indy like you said.

Marsh I have watched them.

I watched them lose to a Butler team that's not very good - with Clarke out.

I didn't see the Illinois game, but they lost at home vs. Illinois by 11

They squeaked by Ok St 69-68 - that's their only big win this year.
True but they had butler beat and lost on a fluke. Illinois was early in the season. This team is firing on all cylinders. I would be surprised if they dont make the elite 8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've watched Gonzaga play a few times and I'm not impressed. As EastCoast said they're 1-2 against ranked teams. People make a big deal about them being undefeated in their conference, their conference schedule is basically all power conference teams non-conference schedule that people say is full of cupcakes. I'd be shocked if they made it past the sweet 16. Harris is good, but not an elite take over the game type player. Atleast not when they go against good teams from the big conferences. Gonzaga is benefiting from having a good team, not even close to being great, in a year where everyone else in the major conference keeps losing to each other. Their big guys are still soft and their guards aren't big or athletic enough to get their shots off consistently or keep opposing guards out of the paint if they play a team with athletic strong guards. They'll lose to the first team they play in the tournament who plays with physicality and has good guards and everybody will let Gonzaga and Mark Few off the hook again for bowing out early and being all hype no substance. Then rinse and repeat next year when they do the same thing.

True but they had butler beat and lost on a fluke. Illinois was early in the season. This team is firing on all cylinders. I would be surprised if they dont make the elite 8.

My only beef with this is if we give them a pass on Illinois because it was early in the year, do we not acknowledge their wins against Ok St. and K State that were also early in the year? And if we take those two wins away, then what exactly have they done this season that's impressive besides beat mediocre teams? They can't have it both ways, not an attack on you Marsh just pointing out because many people use this approach when dissecting tournament teams this time of year.

My only beef with this is if we give them a pass on Illinois because it was early in the year, do we not acknowledge their wins against Ok St. and K State that were also early in the year? And if we take those two wins away, then what exactly have they done this season that's impressive besides beat mediocre teams? They can't have it both ways, not an attack on you Marsh just pointing out because many people use this approach when dissecting tournament teams this time of year.
I hear ya. I always will take teams with nba players on it. That was my argument

Eh, whatever. Everybody else keeps losing. I'm sure they'll lose this week as the #1, just like everyone else has.
their regular season is over, so if they are #1 this week they will be #1 next week

Side note: I would love to see Gonzaga as the #1 if we end up as the 4-5 seed

I've watched Gonzaga play a few times and I'm not impressed. As EastCoast said they're 1-2 against ranked teams. People make a big deal about them being undefeated in their conference, their conference schedule is basically all power conference teams non-conference schedule that people say is full of cupcakes. I'd be shocked if they made it past the sweet 16. Harris is good, but not an elite take over the game type player. Atleast not when they go against good teams from the big conferences. Gonzaga is benefiting from having a good team, not even close to being great, in a year where everyone else in the major conference keeps losing to each other. Their big guys are still soft and their guards aren't big or athletic enough to get their shots off consistently or keep opposing guards out of the paint if they play a team with athletic strong guards. They'll lose to the first team they play in the tournament who plays with physicality and has good guards and everybody will let Gonzaga and Mark Few off the hook again for bowing out early and being all hype no substance. Then rinse and repeat next year when they do the same thing.
Exactly. Take SU's non-conference schedule every year when we go 18-0 or 17-1 in a "bad year" - that is Gonzaga's conference schedule.

SOS this year:
SU #7
Zaga #72

thats why im having a hard time putting gonzaga as #1 seed even as comparing resumes with georgetown and miami seems similar and miami/gtown face more quality opponents in the league( i do have gonzaga as a 2 out west though)
For me, Miami would have a better chance of going down the first week than Gonzaga.

their regular season is over, so if they are #1 this week they will be #1 next week

Side note: I would love to see Gonzaga as the #1 if we end up as the 4-5 seed
(n)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom