My biggest gripe | Syracusefan.com

My biggest gripe

Cuse House

All American
We recruit athletes and try to make them basketball players. We get raw guys with with high upside but low basketball talent and IQ. That’s not a formula for success. It equates to bad basketball. That’s what we are right now, a bad program.

We recruit athletes and try to make them basketball players. We get raw guys with with high upside but low basketball talent and IQ. That’s not a formula for success. It equates to bad basketball. That’s what we are right now, a bad program.
Quibbling a bit, but I would contend we are a bad team right now, not a bad program.

Quibbling a bit, but I would contend we are a bad team right now, not a bad program.
Maybe my words were a bit harsh in the heat of the moment, but I will say we have been trending the wrong way for a few years. We are on the verge of becoming a mediocre program. Our tourney runs have covered up bad basketball for the last 5 years.

Maybe my words were a bit harsh in the heat of the moment, but I will say we have been trending the wrong way for a few years. We are on the verge of becoming a mediocre program. Our tourney runs have covered up bad basketball for the last 5 years.
I get it.

Funny. I was just thinking we need to get some athletes.
We have great athletes. TB, OB, Carey, etc, are all great athletes. We don’t lack athletes, we lack basketball skills. We can’t catch passes, we don’t move to open spaces, we don’t box out, and the ball movement is nonexistent. We have zero basketball IQ to go with it.

We have great athletes. TB, OB, Carey, etc, are all great athletes. We don’t lack athletes, we lack basketball skills. We can’t catch passes, we don’t move to open spaces, we don’t box out, and the ball movement is nonexistent. We have zero basketball IQ to go with it.

You sure? Buffalo and ODU were faster up and down the court. It didn’t even look that athletically we were that superior to Northeastern. But, I agree with the skills for sure. Or if they had them then they erode when they get here. The fundamentals are really poor across the board here.

Aside from Carey, everyone seems like they're running in mud. Nobody plays above the rim. Seems nobody knows how to use their body (or they don't have a body to use). Rebounding in the zone requires being able to go and get the ball. Doesn't seem like anyone can do that either.

Maybe they've got some athleticism but it doesn't seem to be nearly enough and it's no more than some of the mid-majors we've played.

This is one of the foolish group think ideas that has festered here for some time. The players we recruit are not just athletes with no basketball skills. They are, with only very rare exceptions, consensus top 150 players in the nation. They have played basketball at a high level since they could walk. Whatever problems our team has are not "we recruit athletes and try to make them basketball players."

This is one of the foolish group think ideas that has festered here for some time. The players we recruit are not just athletes with no basketball skills. They are, with only very rare exceptions, consensus top 150 players in the nation. They have played basketball at a high level since they could walk. Whatever problems our team has are not "we recruit athletes and try to make them basketball players."
We recruit too many with the same body type and skillset, eg, Ty, Elijah, Frank, and Quincy - all similar. Carey brings a different skillset, but he gets yanked whenever he makes an egregious mistake. Our centers have no skillset so that is an issue. Oshae should be able to add something different to the mix, but as long as he can't finish at the rim, on O he ends up being more of the same, though he can at least rebound better. We have different pieces in name only. We need some power players and some very quick smurfs as complimentary pieces.

And 3 months ago, everybody was saying the program was on an up swing, recruiting was terrific, all was rosey.

They've lost at least 13 games like four seasons in a row. take away the lipstick of a lucky march run and what do you have? A scary decline in quality...

And 3 months ago, everybody was saying the program was on an up swing, recruiting was terrific, all was rosey.
Not everybody.
Lots of us have been applauding getting 4-stars like we used to get 5-stars.
Lots of us consistently tell us that when we sign a #75 player, he’s really underrated because the scouts hate SU.

I don’t know if it was the stink of sanctions, JB’s planned retirement, our non-performance in league, our glacial pace, the zone, or other teams offering money while we were on probation and playing clean, we just have not been even on the long lists of many 5-star players lately. I’m not one of those people who says JB does the ost with the least. I think he needs NBA talent combined with really solid role players. We have had only a bunch of fringe NBA level guys lately. Not the formula for our success.