My biggest pet peave about our offense (besides the refs killing us) | Syracusefan.com

My biggest pet peave about our offense (besides the refs killing us)

Alsacs

Living Legend
We are so damn passive offensively. We don't get teams into foul trouble as easily as they seem to always get us into foul trouble. I am not talking about yesterday only. We never seem to draw fouls at the same rate as our higher ranked opponents do against us.

It is frustrating as heck to see time after time. We are passive aggressive which is the knack of our coach. I get why it seems we have one half where we don't commit fouls(typically the first half) and the refs decide okay we gotta call fouls now and it kills us.

We played so damn well yesterday that win should have been ours. Joseph, G, Cooney, Christmas all played too damn well for the zebras to kill us. My biggest takeaway from yesterday whomever plays Villanova 2nd round is likely to be my upset pick as they aren't good defensively.

That's not really fair... Our whole offense this year relies on driving to the hoop and getting the ball to the post. In other words attacking the hoop and not settling for jumpers. The problem is the refs are trained to give the benefit of the doubt to the defender so we never draw fouls.

Also most teams who are higher ranked than us are much better at being fundamentally sound on D because they don't play the high risk style of D we play. Because we play an aggressive zone our guys are always reaching in to passing lanes and are generally out of position with regards to a man in their space. This is going to cause a lot more fouls on our guys. We are also out of position for rebounds which tends to lead to a lot of scrum situations where we foul the other team. The other factor is shot blocking is a big part our defensive strategy which again leads to fouls. Lastly our guys are usually pretty bad at not falling for head and shot fakes.

We have guys that go to the basket well, but we don't utilize the throw our body into the defender move as well as villanova. Refs love making that cheap call.

Also I thought Cooney got fouled a bunch yesterday, but apparently they didn't want him going to the line 20 times.

The problem is the refs are trained to give the benefit of the doubt to the defender so we never draw fouls.

You know, I've reffed HS and college ball for 20 years and have never once been told that in any of the clinics, rules meetings or floor evaluations I've been in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom