My completely different BC game experience. | Syracusefan.com

My completely different BC game experience.

DoubleDee

All American
So I had the opportunity to sit with some work relations last night. I did not use my seat in 211, and instead sat in 123. 1st time I've ever sat in the lower bowl for men's basketball. I've had seasons for 30 years, but have always been in 300 or 200 level.
I mean in no way to sound negative, because everyone has different opinions, but the difference down there was huge.
You cannot hear the sound system anywhere near as loud or clear. That may be a product of being on that side in general, and not have anything to do with how close to the court we were.
You cannot hear the student section or band as well. I could barely hear "you still suck balls" or whatever the hell it is they say. The "O" during the national anthem was delayed and I wonder if it is because of the way we're set up and the speakers are technically facing the othe side.
You cannot see the lower half of the players, as the pitch of the bleachers has you barely above the head of the guy ahead of you.
You cannot see plays develop the way you can a little higher up.
And lastly, quiet, tame area. Seemed more like a get-together.

The plus side...
A great experience to see the game from a different perspective. Game feels a lot faster down there.
You get to see a lot of the inner workings like delivery of what I assume was stat sheets, a rear view of the television broadcasters, and sat very close to the lovely First Lady.
Again I don't mean to bash the area, just amazed at how different things were. Not sure I could justify the up charge in preferred charges.
Would love to hear why those of you in the 100s prefer it.

See you in the upper bowl:)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 112
The season my mom died (in Oct.) I went crazy and bought season tickets in 124. Sat behind Juli and GMac's wife and (correction) Coach Murphy's wife and toddler son (cutest baby ever!). It was definitely interesting. There was not the cheering that I associate with 309 unless the game got very close, and then I would say 124 was as lively as everyone else. You could see the sweat on the player's faces and I could tell better when someone was fouled. I could see how sad Triche often looked (perhaps that was his game face) and you could see the fire in Andy Rautin's eyes. That was fun! I sat there for the Nova game when we broke the attendance record, beat them, and became the #1 team in the country.

It's definitely a different angle! I liked it a lot, but am content with the view from second row, 309.

Last edited:
Agree with everything you said. With the exception of the excellent court side floor seats, give me side court low 2nd level or low 3rd level anytime. The sound system is poor down there and there is no rise on the seats. If you're not 6'+ you can't see over people in front of you very well. But I also know plenty of people who have sat down there for 30 years and they love them and would never consider sitting "upstairs". To each their own. Still the best home crowd in the country.

bballbeadle said:
The season my mom died (in Oct.) I went crazy and bought season tickets in 124. Sat behind Juli and GMac's wife and Grob's wife and toddler son (cutest baby ever!). It was definitely interesting. There was not the cheering that I associate with 309 unless the game got very close, and then I would say 124 was as lively as everyone else. You could see the sweat on the player's faces and I could tell better when someone was fouled. I could see how sad Triche often looked (perhaps that was his game face) and you could see the fire in Andy Rautin's eyes. That was fun! I sat there for the Nova game when we broke the attendance record, beat them, and became the #1 team in the country. It's definitely a different angle! I liked it a lot, but am content with the view from second row, 309.

Lol. You sure it was Grobs wife's toddler son? Or grandson?

Lol. You sure it was Grobs wife's toddler son? Or grandson?
If the child was with Laura Robinson, he would have been a grandson.

Last edited:
bballbeadle said:
The season my mom died (in Oct.) I went crazy and bought season tickets in 124. Sat behind Juli and GMac's wife and Grob's wife and toddler son (cutest baby ever!). It was definitely interesting. There was not the cheering that I associate with 309 unless the game got very close, and then I would say 124 was as lively as everyone else. You could see the sweat on the player's faces and I could tell better when someone was fouled. I could see how sad Triche often looked (perhaps that was his game face) and you could see the fire in Andy Rautin's eyes. That was fun! I sat there for the Nova game when we broke the attendance record, beat them, and became the #1 team in the country. It's definitely a different angle! I liked it a lot, but am content with the view from second row, 309.
I just ended a 12-15 year run in 309, row d. Loved it up there. Had to move as I lost my seat mate, and they wouldn't let me keep only one seat:(

andyw715 said:
People still do the "O" thing?

Yes. And as a Baltimore Orioles fan, I have to wonder how this started. I wrote a fan post on this subject on Nunesmagician.com about the possible connection. It started in Baltimore well before Syracuse, as far as I can remember. I assume it probably came from a student who was from Maryland, and it stuck.

The blue seats at the dome are absolutely horrendous. I accidentally bought them for an NIT game once and couldn't believe how horrible the viewing experience was.

Understand your perspective and there are certainly pluses and minuses but we've had seats in 123, Row A (first row of bleachers behind the chairs) for years and love them. Right on the aisle, extra leg room in the first row, great perspective on the physicality and strain on the player's faces under the basket and can actually hear the talking on the court. I used to love listening to Craig Forth direct the zone from the middle like a lacrosse goalie.

Glad to hear the sound system is better in other areas because it certainly sucks from my seats. Seems to have gotten worse this year.

I will take personal offense to the perception of a more laid back atmosphere though. Next time sit in front of me. My group won't let me take the aisle seat ever since they had to stop me from rushing the court to scream at Tim Higgins! ;)

The blue seats at the dome are absolutely horrendous. I accidentally bought them for an NIT game once and couldn't believe how horrible the viewing experience was.

horrible. I agree. Last time I sat there wsa for the famous SDST screwed NIT game and I couldnt believe how bad these were. And I was like 3rd row. Never again. Way too low and you cant tell a three pointer from a 2 pointer.

I sit in 211 and I love them. Yes I am a little under the overhang but you can see everything.

I also hate sitting on the lower level for football. Cant see stuff and cant see the plays develop. Give me 3rd level any day of the week for football.

We had season's for years in the first row of 313. It was awesome even though it is an angled view.

true fans sit up top if given the choice. plus my dad instilled a 'this is my seat' mentality in me. if given the option, i usually sit in my seat even if i can get closer or a 'better' seat.

when i 1st started getting Yankee tickets we were in the field level, but it was a rotating seat. usually in 1 of 3 sections along the 3rd base line. then for 1 boston game they bumped us upstairs, right behind home. heading into the game we were pissed that we were no longer 'field level' and were upstairs. boy were we wrong. best seats in the house and cheaper. next year thats where we put our plan. eventually the Yankees realized this and started jacking up the price, but it was great while it lasted. had them right through the WS run and into early 00s when we got financially bumped out up the line.

KaiserUEO said:
true fans sit up top if given the choice. plus my dad instilled a 'this is my seat' mentality in me. if given the option, i usually sit in my seat even if i can get closer or a 'better' seat. when i 1st started getting Yankee tickets we were in the field level, but it was a rotating seat. usually in 1 of 3 sections along the 3rd base line. then for 1 boston game they bumped us upstairs, right behind home. heading into the game we were pissed that we were no longer 'field level' and were upstairs. boy were we wrong. best seats in the house and cheaper. next year thats where we put our plan. eventually the Yankees realized this and started jacking up the price, but it was great while it lasted. had them right through the WS run and into early 00s when we got financially bumped out up the line.
I go by myself, so the "better" seat took care of refreshments

I agree - I'm second level and like it much better than when I've sat lower bowl. But I think the sound system is horrendous in the second level (I'm under the overhang). So if it's even worse down below, what's the deal?

I preferred sitting as high as possible in the student section.

Sat in the blue seats once for the gtown game- got the Nike jacket- and it's awful. Terrible view.

If you actually want to watch basketball to see plays develop, you sit higher up.

I have sat in the very back row in section 124/125 and love that view. I have also sat first row almost behind the visiting bench and did not like it.

81South said:
I have sat in the very back row in section 124/125 and love that view. I have also sat first row almost behind the visiting bench and did not like it.
I sat there for midnight madness and it is a nice spot indeed.

I've only sat in the nosebleeds at the Dome. But I've had quite good seats at the Garden, especially years ago when the BE tourney was practically empty during the day sessions and I could sneak down to where Joyce sat. The view was tremendous and there was no appreciable problem with sound. Perhaps the nature of the Dome just makes acoustics a problem as it's so cavernous?

Yes. And as a Baltimore Orioles fan, I have to wonder how this started. I wrote a fan post on this subject on Nunesmagician.com about the possible connection. It started in Baltimore well before Syracuse, as far as I can remember. I assume it probably came from a student who was from Maryland, and it stuck.
Definitely started with the O's. The hand clapping we stole from UNM, I believe.

Definitely started with the O's. The hand clapping we stole from UNM, I believe.

Correct on the O's for the O. They do it at MD as well.

The stand & clap tradition started when we stole it from New Mexico when we played them in the Lobo Classic in December of 1977. A guy named Joe Gallagher was the Non Senior Executive Assistant Athletic Director for Marketing at the time and he started incorporating it to the game day experience when we returned from NM.

I've only sat in the nosebleeds at the Dome. But I've had quite good seats at the Garden, especially years ago when the BE tourney was practically empty during the day sessions and I could sneak down to where Joyce sat. The view was tremendous and there was no appreciable problem with sound. Perhaps the nature of the Dome just makes acoustics a problem as it's so cavernous?

I think the Dome needs updated electronics all around if we're keeping it as it appears we are. Lighting, sound, tv's... all of it.

ImperialOrange said:
I think the Dome needs updated electronics all around if we're keeping it as it appears we are. Lighting, sound, tv's... all of it.

And some damn handrails! Those extra high steps are gruesome to climb without anything to lean on, especially when you're going up 20+ of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom