My Good, Bad , and the Ugly from Sunday... | Syracusefan.com

My Good, Bad , and the Ugly from Sunday...

newmexicuse

All Conference
The good:

1. We won - overrides all else.

2. I liked the aggressiveness to the hole of CJ, Brandon, and MCW.

3. Somehow we got out-rebounded, but there was still good boardwork from CJ, X, and BMK.

4. Jim easily won the coaching battle - I don't understand why Fisher didn't put the red light on all trey attempts after five minutes in. It was obvious they were unmakeable.

5. Clutch Play - especially from Brandon - we came up with an answer every time they threatened to cut the lead to single digits.

6. Shotblocking - any time you get double digits in this category it can't be bad. Great job by X.

7. I have always been a big MCW advocate - he has superstud written all over him - just needs to tighten up his play a bit. He also showed he can be a big-time D disrupter.

8. I really liked Brandon's senior leadership, especially in the clutch (see above).

The bad:

1. Not a game for the frosh - no outside shooting clogged up the middle too much for DC2 to be a factor & no outside shooting totally took away Cooney's strength. Couldn't tell much about Jerami. I look for DC2 and Cooney to contribute.

2. The D - many will say the D excelled. I thought it only excelled early during the stretch when we built up the lead. Other than that there was much too much reaching (and resulting fouling). We were just lucky they couldn't hit the broadside of a barn from the charity stripe - could have been a much different game. No reason for that when you are playing the Zone tight as a drum to begin with. Players gotta move the feet more. The reaching won't bode well for normal games when the Zone sometimes has to extend.

3. Ball handling - so-so, a lot of TOs, but I tend to give this a bit of a pass due to the overall bad conditions.

4. In general we played unselfishly, but there were a few times CJ and MCW in particular seemed to force their own shots.

5. The reffing - huge FT disparity - most, but certainly not all of it deserved - see the reaching comment.

The Ugly:

1. The game itself - as one poster somewhere else said - these aircraft carrier games should only be played as exhibitions. We were fortunate the conditions played into our style, but imagine if the opposite were true & we had to take an L under those circumstances. We would have a board meltdown.

2. Their FT shooting - YIKES - we did OK from the stripe so you can't blame all of it on the conditions.

One point on our defense and you'll have to keep in mind that I was trying to watch the game on the online pirated feed so while working on a project, so maybe I am wrong, but I thought we should have packed the zone even more than we did and not tried to get out at all on the 3 point shooters. I thought we worried too much about getting out to try to get a hand in the shooters face when in reality the conditions were doing that for us.

1.It is going to be interesting to see who on this team can develop into isolation. MCW leads the way. Triche appeared to be second last night for the first time ever against a top opponent. Southerland and Fair their jumper will decide. And Dajuan and Rak are both ahead of our bigs last year in developing some isolation.

2. We might be one of the top 3 ball movement offenses in the country (and nationally recognized as so if we stay away from isolation). I have never been as excited about a Syracuse teams passing, EVER. Our bigs may be better passers then our forwards. I hope they challenge each other. Fair and Triche are so good at beating doubles when they can get a step on their man off the dribble by moving without the ball. We might even find 4 three point threats on the floor at times. Actually it looks like we already have.

It will be interesting to see how the ratio of 1 and 2 balences out.
Personally, I have no idea but am curious what others think. The coaches might like scenerio 2 even better then one with this team.

Pfister I was thinking the same thing about the zone. I found it interesting that JB apparently told his team not to shoot 3's but didn't encourage SDSU to take them by packing in the zone. That seemed pretty obvious to me, but I have about 850 fewer wins than JB and he won the game. So what's my point? if I know...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom