My guess into the conversation between JB and Keatts | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

My guess into the conversation between JB and Keatts

Amazing BC thought Syracuse got all the calls, NC State thought Syracuse got all the calls, Syracuse thought UNC got all the calls

There is a pretty good constant in those 3 recent examples…
Yeah, ACC officiating sucks.

I get it. I really do. I think that NC State has been on the receiving end of "the treatment" by officials in this conference for decades. I'd be sensitive to that too. If anything, my observations and experiences in this conference have made me feel a kinship with NC State fans.

I'm certain there is a measurable degree of unconscious bias towards UNC, Duke and to a lesser extent, UVA in hoops, and to Clemson and whoever has been around longest in football. I'd like to think there is no conscious bias involved, but after learning about how frequently some refs call certain teams games, I'm not so sure.
I agree, there is no question there is unconscious bias at play. There's plenty of rigorous evidence from all sports that refs tend to favor home teams, so it's not implausible that the name on the front of the jersey could also affect their calls. I don't believe the league office sent the message to favor the original ACC schools, but refs know who who the golden children are.

What's more troubling to me is that I think there is often conscious bias at work too. Anyone watch the Tim Donaghy doc on Netflix? He makes it pretty clear - with evidence - that even refs who weren't on the take would set out to punish certain players or coaches they didn't like. Why would the NCAA be any different, especially when there is less oversight?

I agree, there is no question there is unconscious bias at play. There's plenty of rigorous evidence from all sports that refs tend to favor home teams, so it's not implausible that the name on the front of the jersey could also affect their calls. I don't believe the league office sent the message to favor the original ACC schools, but refs know who who the golden children are.

What's more troubling to me is that I think there is often conscious bias at work too. Anyone watch the Tim Donaghy doc on Netflix? He makes it pretty clear - with evidence - that even refs who weren't on the take would set out to punish certain players or coaches they didn't like. Why would the NCAA be any different, especially when there is less oversight?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom