My issue with Babers | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

My issue with Babers

How many croots would you need to see from a particular school/region over how many years to call it a pipeline?
Do we have a pipeline of sorts somewhere? Happy to be wrong.

9 of the13 HS commits were committed prior to the season. You don’t think the season we had factored into the transfers decisions to come here?
In my opinion because they just committed and they saw the season as a whole, maybe, maybe not but I mean 6-0 yes sure that was impressive, the perception, expectations and then you go and it's just completely dismal for 5 weeks!!!!! Then BC Was up and I really thought that they're gonna lose that game as well going into the 4th quarter and we finally came alive and just you know tore the roof off.
Bu÷w÷t again it's BC so Nobody coming from Alabama, ND etc, Doubt that game changed anybody's mind in terms of the direction of this program.
anywayso I will consider the season average. Especially in these guys eyes who are coming from powerhouse programs.
There are obviously other reasons why these 3 decided to come here and I am estati they did.

Do we have a pipeline of sorts somewhere? Happy to be wrong.
It was a sincere question. I am genuinely interested in how you're defining the pipeline. You have something in your head on it, and when you assess what's going on, your assessment is we don't have it. I'm super curious what the criteria were that got you to that conclusion.

I'm making no statement on whether we have a pipeline. I really don't know. Which is why I'm really interested in how you're conceptualizing it. Legitimate intellectual curiosity.

Dino is the 12th longest tenured Power 5 school head coach and 21st-longest tenured FBS coach.

So in this era, I’d love to see some evidence of a pipeline or continuity that dovetails with the portal strategy.

I don’t see a pattern.

Not good.

When the day comes, I don’t think we lose a lot from the transition. Not rooting for it, but for all the investment in the program, I’m looking for foundational/repeatable things to build upon and see few.

All due respect MadNY3, I think we just need to evaluate on the results with how crazy recruiting is now.

Meaning, did we land between 6-9 wins?

I love our QB room. I think it’s the best since McNabb was a frosh.

I fully expect Rocky and Monroe to keep our D landing guys that will be in the nfl. And I absolutely love Beck. In fact, he’s who I want as the next HC down the line. Would you trade him for any other QB coach/OC in the ACC?

I have faith. But I’m also at a bar at EWR waiting for a flight, so maybe I’m just too filled with holiday cheer right now.

I think we’re good.

In my opinion because they just committed and they saw the season as a whole, maybe, maybe not but I mean 6-0 yes sure that was impressive, the perception, expectations and then you go and it's just completely dismal for 5 weeks!!!!! Then BC Was up and I really thought that they're gonna lose that game as well going into the 4th quarter and we finally came alive and just you know tore the roof off.
Bu÷w÷t again it's BC so Nobody coming from Alabama, ND etc, Doubt that game changed anybody's mind in terms of the direction of this program.
anywayso I will consider the season average. Especially in these guys eyes who are coming from powerhouse programs.
There are obviously other reasons why these 3 decided to come here and I am estati they did.
I wasnt trying to flex with the 7-5 season. Just mentioning how the program showed some life this year and how it might have made the transfers decision to go to SU a little easier.

Last edited:
Can a coach have a pattern when players are jumping ship before the season, during the season, after the season after the bowl, after spring practice? Let's say it's Dec. 19th, you have 21 "on paper commits" and 3 players left the team for the portal...next year you have 16 "on paper commits" and had 9 players hit the portal. How can a program establish a pattern/strategy/routine? Needs are going to be different one year to the next.
I think you just described THEE pattern. Shifting sands, need a core of program guys and coaches to build around over the long term. Turnover will remain and increase as a challenge for all.

"When there is doubt, there is no doubt"

I wasnt trying to flex with the 7-5 season. Just mentioning how the program showed some life this year and how it might have made the transfers decision to go to SU a little easier.
OK I mean I can't say I disagree with that

I mean the transfers OK yes those I am impressed with but the recruiting class I mean with the resources we have the conference we are in there is no absolutely no excuse for this ! I mean this is gotta be alarming to some people or most people because it sure as as hell it is to me!!!

A class like this reminds me of something that may be happening in the future. I pray it doesn't but a class like this again reminds me of a year following us being booted and left in Siberia In terms of conference realignment... Independent, AAC, etc

I mean the transfers OK yes those I am impressed with but the recruiting class I mean with the resources we have the conference we are in there is no absolutely no excuse for this ! I mean this is gotta be alarming to some people or most people because it sure as as hell it is to me!!!

A class like this reminds me of something that may be happening in the future. I pray it doesn't but a class like this again reminds me of a year following us being booted and left in Siberia In terms of conference realignment... Independent, AAC, etc
Our recruiting has been the same for last 20 years. Each year we talk about the challenges they have in recruiting. This is not new news. Its been alarming for years but we still choose to come here, talk and support the team.

Absolutely agree, Syracuse is a very difficult place to recruit. But I certainly do not believe that many of the players recruited and signed by our competition wouldn't fit in our offensive or defensive systems.

You "completely disagree with the reasons" I come up with for why we struggle to get kids with a bunch of other P5 offers out of high school. What reason(s) did I cite in my post?

Having players matriculate to the NFL is nice, but the purpose of recruiting players is to build a team that can compete in your conference not to put players in the league. Syracuse has not been very competitive in their conference.

Of the four players who have or will likely declare for the NFL draft this year, each of them had multiple offers from Power 5 programs with the exception of Bergeron; Jones had 12, Tucker had 2 and G. Will had 2. Bergeron was a great find. This year we only signed one high school player with multiple Power 5 offers.

Our coaches have done a fabulous job coaching up the talent they have. But I believe Syracuse is going to struggle to compete on the field until they can compete on the recruiting trail.

If you're recruiting players that no other Power 5 team wanted to offer a scholarship to and you're expecting to compete in a Power 5 conference, then you're going to need to be part magician as a coach. Most teams will take a flyer on a couple of under-sized or under-developed recruits, but of the 12 high school kids we just signed 9 of them didn't have a single offer from another Power 5 program.

Our recruiting class is ranked lasted in the ACC

Our class would be ranked 5th in the AAC (based on Avg. points per recruit) behind UCF, SMU, Houston and Cincinnati.

Our recruiting class is ranked higher than only one other Power 5 program: Washington State.

We recruited a lot of raw talent, but we need to do better. Adapt or perish.

And this is every year with Dino. Embarrassing, sobering -- simply not good enough