My Jonny Dawkins story | Syracusefan.com

My Jonny Dawkins story

JarHeadJim

I have never won sheet!
In 1989 iI was a Private First Class in the Marine at Military Police School at Lackland Air Froce Base in SanAntioio TX one day they called a formation and thay called attention and out walked spurs rokkie John Dakkins I was ike I en hate duke and jonny dawakins... Mr. dawakins was one of the coolest humans I had ever met. I told him I was a cuse fan and he was like cool i told him i much i hated Duhe and coack K said too me Jim give me your addrerss. Two weeks later i got a letter in the mail from Mr Dawkins thanking me for my honesty and two tickets for front row seats for the spurs vs the portland Trail Balisers and Clyde the Glyed Dexlesrs trail blaizers, At half time Johhny came to center corurt and called me out he introrducted me as an american hero and some one respecte for being honest and for being a United States Marine. I was so stunned and Humbled. Seeing Jonney on the sidlines toning remined me of a very spical nignt in my a long time ago. If we were to lose to a coach tonight it would of ben Jonny Dawkins who holds a speical place in this old Retiired Marine Hart.

Great post (even though it was Cali-esque).

Dawkins was actually one of my all-time favorite Duke players...if I were being forced to pick one. :p

Neat story. Wonder what he would have done if you said you were a UNC fan.

Dawkins was actually one of my all-time favorite Duke players...if I were being forced to pick one. :p
me thinks JHJ has been tipping a few while typing this post :D

Great story, but it sounds like you have hitting a little of Grandpa's old cough medicine... :)

I think a little bit of Jay Bilas rubbed off on him and made him tolerable. ;):D

I didn't start hating Duke until the Laettner years.

He coached a great game. You could tell Boeheim was impressed, he actually talked to him for a good 20-30 seconds post game which is like an eternity for JB. JB usually has one foot in the locker room while he's shaking the other coaches hand.

In 1989 iI was a Private First Class in the Marine at Military Police School at Lackland Air Froce Base in SanAntioio TX one day they called a formation and thay called attention and out walked spurs rokkie John Dakkins I was ike I en hate duke and jonny dawakins... Mr. dawakins was one of the coolest humans I had ever met. I told him I was a cuse fan and he was like cool i told him i much i hated Duhe and coack K said too me Jim give me your addrerss. Two weeks later i got a letter in the mail from Mr Dawkins thanking me for my honesty and two tickets for front row seats for the spurs vs the portland Trail Balisers and Clyde the Glyed Dexlesrs trail blaizers, At half time Johhny came to center corurt and called me out he introrducted me as an american hero and some one respecte for being honest and for being a United States Marine. I was so stunned and Humbled. Seeing Jonney on the sidlines toning remined me of a very spical nignt in my a long time ago. If we were to lose to a coach tonight it would of ben Jonny Dawkins who holds a speical place in this old Retiired Marine Hart.

Great story. Hats off to you and Dawkins. Love the honesty with Duke and for you telling him so!

He coached a great game. You could tell Boeheim was impressed, he actually talked to him for a good 20-30 seconds post game which is like an eternity for JB. JB usually has one foot in the locker room while he's shaking the other coaches hand.

HaHa, sad but soooo true.. Great story JHJ and thanks for your service!

Great story. I hate Duke to... Coach Dawkins coached his butt off tonight and almost got the win. JB spent a lot of time with him after the game and if I had to guess he told him the same. I think he called TO in the right time to stop us from making a big run. I was thinking he was running the game as a PG from the coaching box. Would not like to see them in the dance thank very much. Ref gave them a lot of help I thought. Sad to see.

Old Retired CWO, USCG...

Great story! Now I feel like I need to do a couple shots to get on your level.

Yes, great story. Good for him. He seems destined to be an excellent coach.
And I think Stanford is going to be Top 20 by season's end.

That was a great backcourt at Duke with Johnny Dawkins & Tommy Amaker.
Together with frontcourt of Bilas, Alarie & Meagher made for K's first excellent Duke team.

That caught my eye, too. I can't think of a time he's lingered that long with an opposing coach. Must like the guy.

And a good story, Jim.

Dawkins said something to JB about the Fine thing. You could tell by the seriousness and JB saying "thank you" to him. I don't read lips, but it was obvious Dawkins acknowledged it.

That's a great story.

They showed some clips of Dawkins during the Syracuse game today, I only remember him from his days with the 76'ers, dont' really recall him seeming that explosive. Pretty young though at the time - maybe I'm confusing him with Hersey Hawkins though.

me thinks JHJ has been tipping a few while typing this post :D

LOL yes a few glasses of wine! But true story Coach Dawins is a good Man!

Great story. I hate Duke to... Coach Dawkins coached his butt off tonight and almost got the win. JB spent a lot of time with him after the game and if I had to guess he told him the same. I think he called TO in the right time to stop us from making a big run. I was thinking he was running the game as a PG from the coaching box. Would not like to see them in the dance thank very much. Ref gave them a lot of help I thought. Sad to see.

Old Retired CWO, USCG...
Typical Duke thing with the timeouts... some were good, but I think he overdid it. And it burned him late when SU put on the press. He did not have the TOs left to use, and the inbounds man was getting caught having to pass into the corners which makes for an easy an effective press... I was thinking with the close game he was going to wish he had timeouts at the end.

John/Jonny/Johhny/Jonney Dawkins seems like a class act all the way. :)

Thank you for sharing.

very cool story.

That caught my eye, too. I can't think of a time he's lingered that long with an opposing coach. Must like the guy.

And a good story, Jim.

JB and Johnny know each other pretty well from the 2008 US Olympics team for which JB was an assistant coach and Dawkins was an omnipresent, hard-working member of Coach K's staff (along with Chris Collins and Wojo). That group lived and worked together for a long time -- not just the three weeks they were in Beijing. JB and Johnny developed a strong mutual respect and friendship for each other during that time.

JB and Johnny know each other pretty well from the 2008 US Olympics team for which JB was an assistant coach and Dawkins was an omnipresent, hard-working member of Coach K's staff (along with Chris Collins and Wojo). That group lived and worked together for a long time -- not just the three weeks they were in Beijing. JB and Johnny developed a strong mutual respect and friendship for each other during that time.

Aha! Thanks for the connection CTO! Knew there had to be something!

That would explain his excellent game plan attacking the zone. I thought they did an excellent job with many guys actively flashing through the zone. The got open shots and their share of gimme's down low. The only reason they lost is because of turnovers which you really can't fault the coach for. They will happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom