My Memory Is Not Short | Syracusefan.com

My Memory Is Not Short

Faegan

All Conference
I remember the dark days of Gump, and the slow descent that was transpiring under, God love him, Coach P.

I do not want to go back there.

I fully believe in our staff and the direction of our program.

I love that Doug is an Alum and think you will find no other person that will put more of their heart and soul into OUR program. That's not enough, you say?

I believe he has the ABILITY to continue our resurrection. He was the right hire. He is the right Coach.

the whining!

W - D - O!!!!

And from Full Metal Jacket, one of my favorite movies:

Pogue Colonel: Whose side are you on, son?
Private Joker: Our side, sir.
Pogue Colonel: Don't you love your country?
Private Joker: Yes, sir.
Pogue Colonel: Then how about getting with the program? Why don't you jump on the team and come on in for the big win?
Private Joker: Yes, sir!

(FMJ was Co-written by Syracuse native Michael Herr, and based in large part on his book Dispatches, which recounted his experiences in Vietnam.)

Good post. Saturday was bad, but people who said that it was worse than G-Rob games are painting a might rosy picture of G-Rob. Were probably 0-5 if he's the coach right now.

Doug isn't perfect, but were definitely headed in a good direction.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=43.035079,-76.119420

I was thinking 1 - 5 with Grob but I can't figure out what game he would have won.

I was thinking 1 - 5 with Grob but I can't figure out what game he would have won.
It'd have been the USC game, but we would have lost by 30 to URI

Good post. Saturday was bad, but people who said that it was worse than G-Rob games are painting a might rosy picture of G-Rob. Were probably 0-5 if he's the coach right now.

Doug isn't perfect, but were definitely headed in a good direction.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=43.035079,-76.119420

Here's what I don't get... we played HORRIBLE on Offense and Special Teams against a team that everyone has said has vastly more talent than us (just look at their recruiting... they MUST have better players because of all the 4 star players they get), and we still had every opportunity to win that game by 20 points or more! A couple plays here and there and we win by 20 points. I understand that it's dissappointing to lose this game, and in the big scheme of things in the season it may come back to haunt us, but to even compare this team to G-Rob's teams is completely out of this world in my mind.

Here's what I don't get... we played HORRIBLE on Offense and Special Teams against a team that everyone has said has vastly more talent than us (just look at their recruiting... they MUST have better players because of all the 4 star players they get), and we still had every opportunity to win that game by 20 points or more! A couple plays here and there and we win by 20 points. I understand that it's dissappointing to lose this game, and in the big scheme of things in the season it may come back to haunt us, but to even compare this team to G-Rob's teams is completely out of this world in my mind.

Yep, if either the offense or specials that struggled make one more play we would just be complaining about an ugly win instead of a horrible loss.

Turning around this train wreck that the SU Football program had become under P and Gump is like trying to turn around the Queen Mary in a bathtub. It can be done but takes time. Fans understandably get frustrated with slow progress or perceived lack of progress. They see other coaches work wonders with programs that have been in similar straits and say "why can't we do that?" Faegan hit the nail on the head - we have absolutely made the best choice for head coach of the SU program. My 2 cents - DM is making progress and is nowhere near his ceiling!

Pogue Colonel: Whose side are you on, son?
Private Joker: Our side, sir.
Pogue Colonel: Don't you love your country?
Private Joker: Yes, sir.
Pogue Colonel: Then how about getting with the program? Why don't you jump on the team and come on in for the big win?
Private Joker: Yes, sir!

Yes, but I think there was a little too much "duality of man" on display on Saturday. Still, Marrone is the right guy. No jelly donuts for the team this week though.

SU athletics has made major strides and is in a good place. The move to the ACC, the status of the Bball & Lacrosse programs, progress in the non-revenue sports, and the rejuvenation of Fball have us headed strongly in a good direction. It would appear that SU is working hard on the sports programs in general.

That being said, I've been in mourning over the loss to Rutgers but feel the worst for the coaches & players. It was a tough loss and will linger a while. The coaches are intensely focused on improving the program & the Rutgers loss hurts them personally as well as their efforts to recruit & motivate. The team gave away a much needed win and it's gotta sting the players & coaches so much worse than ourselves as fans. If they felt worse than I do over that loss, they must have been miserable. Rutgers ST is all that it's cracked up to be, but the players (and coaches to some degree) gave the game away and created their own hardship.

I expect they'll respond to the adversity that they created and hope it carries over through the rest of the season. They need to have a strong effort at Tulane, but need to play tough in the BE and don't have much room for error. I'm still believing they'll do us proud this year overall with good prospects for next year as well. I'm having to cut the kool-aid with something harder, but it still tastes pretty good.

who's saying that? you're making stuff up

lots of that going on this week.

There were plenty of people saying that it was the worst game they'd seen in x-number of years. I have no urge to go back and read threads from Saturday though.

This loss won't hurt recruiting, especially against Rutgers. The game was dominated by Syracuse, but they shot themselves in the foot.

Syracuse is going to a conference that will keep its BCS bid, & Rutgers is staying in a league that blew it, & will now be the MWC of the east. Any recruit worth his weight will avoid the scarlett dikes & "jump on the team and come on in for the big win."

There were plenty of people saying that it was the worst game they'd seen in x-number of years. I have no urge to go back and read threads from Saturday though.

I look at it differently. Syracuse blew another golden opp here, but this was not a bad thing... In the GROB past, a game like this would have been a blowout loss. This game was like tripping against your little brother because you got lazy & clumsy. Rutgers has hit their ceiling a few years back, & Syracuse will be a National Power by the end of this decade, & maybe before that.

who's saying that? you're making stuff up

lots of that going on this week.
Not sure anyone said worse, but there were plenty of people saying "G-Rob-esque"...which is complete crap. Marrone is far better than G-Rob. Typical garbage in those posts.

44cuse

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom