My Michigan game thoughts | Syracusefan.com

My Michigan game thoughts

NineOneSeven

2018-19 Iggy Hoops Leader Scorer
Wait, I'm a few weeks late? Anyway..

Obviously a disappointing outcome with a ridiculous amount of plays that went against us (including plays that you must give credit to Michigan for making, not just because of the refs). As soon as Michigan hit their first off balance three (first basket I believe), I had a gut feeling that more were coming. Fact of the matter is- we dominated the second half but, as I've been saying all year, defense doesn't win championships if you can't score. We simply couldn't put the ball in the hoop enough. I watched the game at Chucks (ended up downtown, how and when I couldn't tell you), and I wasn't too upset when the game ended. I was much more pissed off the next week.

As has been discussed here often I'm guessing, some of the calls in that game down the stretch were head-scratching. If I see one more charge called against an offensive player who makes a strong take to the hoop and gets penalized for it because the defender has an extra second to slide on the floor while the offensive player is OFF the floor, I'm going to lose it. 90% of the time it is a block. I mean, people are called for charges on DUNKS. Think about that for a second? Really wish Triche, heck even James, decided to drive to the basket earlier than with only 5 minutes left.. Fair, well, he's good. Very thrilled he's coming back. I don't think he will be a preseason AA but I wouldn't bet against him finishing off the year as one. He's that solid, and will get better.

Fitting Cooney ended the game on the court. I won't discuss the last play, we all know something went verrrry awry. Makes you wonder..all those times I was begging for him to get a bit of run in the second half of games, especially when BT and Michael were struggling...would that have helped at all in that scenario? Probably not, but one can wonder.

Tough way for MCW to end an otherwise very productive season. Still love the people who wanted MCW gone. Comical.

Grant will be good. We all know this already. I've been a Rak defender all year long and I hope he comes back and plays a bigger role in the offense.

The refs were awful (both ways, although the critical calls were against Michigan it seemed) in the final game too. Burke had one of the best blocks I've ever seen on Siva. Hancock should have had four fouls early on in the second half. I guess over the backs aren't called anymore? I mean, blatant kicked balls weren't even called.

Looking forward to next year.

I was in a coma that last few weeks. We played Michigan?

just when i thought i had forgotten that game, you pull me back in!

I actually forgot about the game for a couple weeks lol

I still haven't watched that game. Don't know if I'll ever get up the gumption. Thanks for the report!

I was just about to post my '87 Indiana-SU game thoughts, but it was too depressing.

I'm still deciding what to say about that one. :noidea:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom