My most memorable moment of the season | Syracusefan.com

My most memorable moment of the season

W'boro'Cuse315

All American
I don’t post much but just wanted to share what was personally my most memorable moment from this past season, the 2min & 9 sec TD/INT/TD sequence in the 3rd quarter vs USC.

Following an encouraging 1st half and the ensuing weather delay, USC picks us off on the 3rd play from scrimmage and Barkley proceeds to complete 4 straight passes to Woods, the 4th being a TD to put them up 21-3. At this point it’s looking as though the rout may be on, as Barkley, Kiffin & Co. are all smiles as they high-five & dance on the sidelines...I distinctly recall them coming back from commercial break to the obligatory shot of USC players giving “shout-outs” to their families, friends, hometowns, etc. I remember feeling that the game could be over if we didn’t score on the upcoming drive...

*Instead of wilting in the face of adversity, Nassib comes out firing & completes 3 straight 3rd down passes, the 3rd being a TD to Sales to make it 21-10.

*Barkley & Co. trot back out onto the field with a visibly cocky confidence only to be intercepted by Shamarko on their 1st play from scrimmage. This was my favorite moment of the season for multiple reasons. It was the 1st career INT for Shamarko, a player whom I’ve rooted for & wanted to succeed more than any other SU player in my lifetime due to his personal background & the just the passion and effort he brought to the field on every play. No SU player has ever overcome more off-field adversity or played the game harder than Shamarko Thomas. The INT came on a pass from Barkley, the consensus Heisman favorite & (at the time) near lock #1 overall draft pick to Woods, the consensus Bilitnekoff favorite. The momentum had swung & the SU sideline was instantly pumped full of emotion, as I’ll never forget the shot Doug & the players skipping up the sideline & Shamarko sprinting over to embrace his teammates & the crowd.

*The offense comes out feeding off the crowd & full of energy & 6 plays/1 minute later, PTG runs through a tackle & gives every last inch to stretch the ball over the goal line & cut the lead to 21-16. The Orange sideline & fan contingent in MetLife goes into a raucous frenzy as Barkley & Kiffin are now sporting a matching confused, “shell-shocked” facial expression. We had just delivered an uppercut to & were standing toe-to-toe with the star-studded, National Title favorite #2 team in the country on a marquee National TV stage. It was at that moment that a special feeling came over me, one that I hadn’t felt since the 2000 (Freeney 4 sack) game vs VT in The Dome. Regardless of the fact that we went on to lose the game, I will never forget the feeling of excitement, hope, & pride that this sequence brought me, especially after enduring the Robinson Era, the previous season’s 2nd half collapse, & the heartbreaking opening loss to NW.

and then we found out that team sucked and went 7-6... womp womp

:p