My personal message to Nerlens Noel | Syracusefan.com

My personal message to Nerlens Noel

SUintheVille

Former 'Blue Light Special' Announcer
Hello Nerlens,

Thank you for considering Syracuse University as your college choice. This is an interesting and exciting time for you, deciding where to attend college and play basketball. I myself, and we as loyal SU fans will respect your decision, whatever that may be, but we sincerely hope you pick Syracuse. Below are just a few reasons why.

Personally, I moved to Syracuse when I was 14 to start high school, became a huge SU basketball fan quickly and have been one ever since, in other words for more than 35 years. You could say it was my first love. And that's what makes SU basketball so great...people love it, no matter what they do in life or where they live. I've been in Louisville for over 20 years. And yes, while I've come to like the Louisville Cardinals, Syracuse will always be #1 in my heart. This is how you will feel Nerlens later in life in your NBA career and beyond if you attend Syracuse.

To further illustrate the above point, look at the SU basketball coaches. You won't find a more loyal staff nor a better staff at any other school in the country. Take the top man Jim Boeheim. Here is a Hall of Fame coach who has been at the same school for over 40 years, and been head coach around 35 years with over 880 career victories, all at one school. He is 3rd all time in wins, and will pass Bobby Knight into second place with over 900 victories next season. Plus he's an assistant on the men's Olympic team (there must be a good reason for that). You won't find this type of loyalty or success at other schools you may be considering. JB is SU, he defines Syracuse basketball. Jim may not have the same exact coaching style as some other coaches, including those at other schools you are considering. But, his record and success speak for themselves. Jim is an awesome coach who develops his players and gets them to the NBA as well as any other coach in the country.

Players really respect Jim and what he has done for them. Sure, he can get on you if you're not playing well, but that's why Coach is so good. He cares for his players so much that he drives and motivates them to get better, just like a father might discipline or talk to his son to ensure the son is on the right track and developing as best as possible. Look at Fab Melo today, for instance. His development from last year to this year has been phenomenal. That's great coaching plus personal dedication to improve, which will help Fab in the NBA soon.

Look at SU's assistant coaches: Mike Hopkins, Adrian Autry, Gerry McNamara, Lazarus Sims. ALL are former star SU basketball players. And all love SU so much that they wanted to come back home to work for Jim Boeheim, give back to Syracuse basketball and the community, and be there for the current and future players. This is the ultimate FAMILY! What other team can claim this type of loyalty, love, skill, player development, knowledge of basketball, and relationships with their players than the SU coaching staff? This is the environment Nerlens you will be able to flourish in if you come to SU next year.

Look at some former players as well. As you know, one of the most famous is Carmelo Anthony. He blessed us for one year, long enough to win SU a national championship (with Gerry McNamara). Melo loves SU basketball, so much that his name now is on one of the most impressive college basketball practice facilities in the nation (the Melo Center), one you will have full access to as a beloved SU player next season. Other players frequently return, like Derrick Coleman who had an excellent NBA career, and who now frequents games in the Dome and cheers as much as he ever did as a top player.

Where else can you play in front of 30,000+ fans? Sure, that doesn't happen every night, but the fans will always be there and you will help bring them out to games, backing SU basketball and backing you as well Nerlens. I can just hear them chanting your name time and time again in the Dome after a thunderous throw down dunk or an in-your-face blocked shot!! And since Syracuse is relatively close to your home, your family will be able to come to some games to cheer you on!

Don't be worried about playing time. With your tremendous talent, you will play many minutes and likely will start from day one, with or without Fab Melo here next year. Just imagine the talent in the low post with you and the other SU players next season, with your buddy MCW starting in the backcourt and throwing lots of ally-oops to you. With you, SU could easily win a national championship next year, heck maybe go for a repeat after this year.

I haven't even mentioned Syracuse as a prestigious academic university, one of the finest in the nation. For as long as you stay at SU, you will always be able to say that you attended one of the best universities, even many many years later.

In short, SU has a great fan base and network throughout the country. Many players have gone on to successful NBA careers from Syracuse. The coaches are awesome and really care. The practice and playing facilities are top notch. If you choose Syracuse, your fans will all be ecstatic and you will join a group of coaches, players, and fans who love Syracuse basketball and Syracuse University, who are a family first and foremost, and who are ready to embrace you as a person and your talents as Syracuse becomes #1 once again! Imagine all the media attention and hype too!

I'm sure other fans will be able to give you some other good reason as well.

Good luck Nerlens in your decision. Ya know what I'll be wishing for. :)

Jesus i havent said that many words to my wife in 20 years!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
shared this with my wife she laughed... +1

Jesus i havent said that many words to my wife in 20 years!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

But ya see, I wasn't talking to my wife...now that would be a different story. LOL

no way in hell would i have the time to read that.

i think the cliff note version would take a week to finish.

Oh Lord

Great letter Ville, here's my version:

Dear Nerlens, Come to SU or I'll personally kick your A$$... But first, I'll go find a step ladder.

PS, just kiddin' big guy... Here's a photo of a previous SU grad:

vw.jpg

did you actually send that to him in some manner?

Great letter Ville, here's my version:

Dear Nerlens, Come to SU or I'll personally kick your A$$... But first, I'll go find a step ladder.

PS, just kiddin' big guy... Here's a photo of a previous SU grad:

vw.jpg
Like for that photo! She's 100 times prettier than Ashley Judd.

Like for that photo! She's 100 times prettier than Ashley Judd.
Absolutely! Between her attendance at the UK games and the never-ending camera shots of her at all of the IRL races...I'm all Ashley'd out. Give me Mrs. Rick Fox any day.

I enjoyed reading this. Lots of words and all are true, but the most important one was capitalized--FAMILY. Ask Derrick Coleman, ask John Wallace, and on and on and on.

did you actually send that to him in some manner?

No. Maybe I should. Could always be reposted to where he might see it I suppose. Or, thought just maybe he might peak at this board occasionally to see what we say about him.

Really didn't take long to write. That he might like it. It's the truth.

I've composed a poem for Nerlens.

Ahem...

Roses are red, and also sometimes yellow and orange and white
Violets are blue, well actually they are closer to violet, hence the name
I really hope you come to Syracuse
You and your high top fade will get sooooo much ass.

I don't really understand poems.

No. Maybe I should. Could always be reposted to where he might see it I suppose. Or, thought just maybe he might peak at this board occasionally to see what we say about him.

Really didn't take long to write. That he might like it. It's the truth.

No please don't.

Got a problem with it?

I would leave the recruiting pitches to the coaching staff. While your letter is nice from a fan perspective it isn't particularly compelling or novel from the perspective of a recruit who has probably already heard most of it in greater detail from the staff and players.

I would leave the recruiting pitches to the coaching staff. While your letter is nice from a fan perspective it isn't particularly compelling or novel from the perspective of a recruit who has probably already heard most of it in greater detail from the staff and players.
may actually help, he seems to love gushing fans. It certainly can't hurt the process. Everyone wants to be a rockstar.

may actually help, he seems to love gushing fans. It certainly can't hurt the process. Everyone wants to be a rockstar.

Stop. It's one thing to have people acknowledge you in public. Quite another to have people trying to contact you in private.

If that is not good enough for you let's go with this line of reasoning.

From his letter he became a huge fan of SU when he moved to Syracuse at age 14. He has been a fan for over 35 years. That makes him about 50 years old. Something creepy about a 50 year old guy writing gushing letters to a 19 year old kid, unless he's getting paid to do it.

What we SHOULD do is have someone get Duke and Joe to brush up in their high top fade skills, and let Nerlens know all about that. That should do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom