My Prescription for an Anemic Offense | Syracusefan.com

My Prescription for an Anemic Offense

RobNJOrange

Walk On
1. We need some 3 pt shooters. Ennis , Fair and Gbinije should be working heavily on their 3 pt shots. They all have many open look opportunities. There is no reason why they can't knock them down. Each game, we should get five 3 pointers made by any combination of these three guys plus whatever Cooney gives us. Why does every other team have at least 3 shooters and we rely only upon one who is like a flicking bulb - on and off . We are not going to win the tournament without several productive three point shooters.
2. Keep up the quicker pace that we finally saw in the first half. Ennis was actually pushing the ball up and not putting the team to sleep. Put a little spark into our step. The only time Ennis should walk the ball up is after a basket has been made.

3. Feed Christmas in the post far more than we do. He has his man sealed off and hardly ever gets the ball. Give him a chance to make his shot productive or to draw in the defense and pass it back out. We will need his offense in the tournament.

4. Ennis needs to be much more active on offense. Driving and shooting. Can't wait for everyone else to step up.

5. Need to mix in some more posting up of our fowards. All of our plays don't have to start so far away from the basket. We also need to mix up the way Ennis gets into each half court set. It looks the same each time. The other teams are easily extending out the double team and Ennis is not getting rid of the ball fast enough to hit the open man.

6. Cooney needs to mix up his offense. He is a great foul shooter. He needs to dribble , pop and shoot two pointers in the paint. The only thing he does now is catch a pass outside the circle, takes four driblles and passes it back.

You can disagree all you want with this list. But I think everything on this list is quite achievable and would operate to substantially increase our offensive production.

Number 4 and 5 are huge.

Fair had a 6'2" player on him. He had six inches on him!! Why on God's green earth did he not post up? Not one attempt at a back to the basket move. It was all 18 feet out, off the dribble, predictable runners. That completely plays into the defender's hands. I guarantee he was ecstatic when Fair was catching the ball so far out. Not taking advantage of that mismatch is on the coaching staff, imo. Run a play to get your player with a huge talent and size advantage in easy spots to score, just like Jerami did against Duke in OT.

Ennis is far too conservative on offense. This team struggles to score. He needs to create early and often. We played directly into BC's hands by letting them dictate tempo. There is no reason he couldn't put up 20 points consistently with his ability to get to the basket.

6. Cooney needs to mix up his offense. He is a great foul shooter. He needs to dribble , pop and shoot two pointers in the paint. The only thing he does now is catch a pass outside the circle, takes four driblles and passes it back.

You can disagree all you want with this list. But I think everything on this list is quite achievable and would operate to substantially increase our offensive production.

I echoed this last night as well. If the shots are not falling or if he cant get shots he needs to move in and get shots inside the arc.

Number 4 and 5 are huge.

Fair had a 6'2" player on him. He had six inches on him!! Why on God's green earth did he not post up? Not one attempt at a back to the basket move. It was all 18 feet out, off the dribble, predictable runners. That completely plays into the defender's hands. I guarantee he was ecstatic when Fair was catching the ball so far out. Not taking advantage of that mismatch is on the coaching staff, imo. Run a play to get your player with a huge talent and size advantage in easy spots to score, just like Jerami did against Duke in OT.

Ennis is far too conservative on offense. This team struggles to score. He needs to create early and often. We played directly into BC's hands by letting them dictate tempo. There is no reason he couldn't put up 20 points consistently with his ability to get to the basket.
Too complicated. 1) be UNSELFISH , dont be afraid to drive it, but MAKE THE EXTRA PASS. Name for me the times last night that CJ, Grant or Tyler drove it last night and then dished off instead of shooting? There werent many. Did Rak have any kick outs?

CJ missed a ton of shots he normally makes last night. I had no problem with the shot selection. He just didnt make anything. He will

CJ missed a ton of shots he normally makes last night. I had no problem with the shot selection. He just didnt make anything. He will

I have no problem with missed shots, part of the game. I have a problem with repetitive, predictable, forceful driving of the ball to the same spot when all you have to do is post up, take one dribble/drop step, and shoot a baby hook over the guy you have 1/2 a foot on. It's simple basketball.

I dont agree, too many times he was driving into 2-3 waiting defenders and taking an off balance shot, and this was typified by his final shot in ot that barely drew front rim. He reminded me of Randle of UK last night. Shooting against double/triple teams instead of kicking it to open guy once you've drawn the defense

I have no problem with missed shots, part of the game. I have a problem with repetitive, predictable, forceful driving of the ball to the same spot when all you have to do is post up, take one dribble/drop step, and shoot a baby hook over the guy you have 1/2 a foot on. It's simple basketball.

These are shots however that he has made all year. Last night he just didnt. He is clearly slumping right now and that wont last.

I dont agree, too many times he was driving into 2-3 waiting defenders and taking an off balance shot, and this was typified by his final shot in ot that barely drew front rim. He reminded me of Randle of UK last night. Shooting against double/triple teams instead of kicking it to open guy once you've drawn the defense

I was referring mostly to his shots in the first half. He probably had 5 shots that he normally would make and just flat our missed them. That I think led him to start pressing in the second half.

I agree w you on predictable repetitive part. SU is better than that. They need to watch the Maui and Duke gamefilm imo

I was referring mostly to his shots in the first half. He probably had 5 shots that he normally would make and just flat our missed them. That I think led him to start pressing in the second half.
Yes i agree, his jumper will come back. These kids have hit a wall and that is affecting CJs legs. Jb admitted it himself. They need their second wind

I agree w you on predictable repetitive part. SU is better than that. They need to watch the Maui and Duke gamefilm imo
We looked absolutely nothing last night (or the last five games for that matter) like we looked in Maui, against villanova and duke. A completely different teamoffensively