My Question for Tomorrow Night's Jim Boeheim Show | Syracusefan.com

My Question for Tomorrow Night's Jim Boeheim Show

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from Shaughnessy’s at the Marriott in Downtown Syracuse. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Syracuse University Athletics
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: Listen to Coast to Coast AM on WGVA on TuneIn

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

“Coach, I’d like to clarify something. Last week you said we had adequate depth because we normally only play 8 guys and use 3 guards. You also said that you had full confidence in Howard Washington. Then, in the Colgate game, you played Frank Howard and Tyus Battle for 40 minutes and said after the game that that Washington couldn’t play more because our three guard offense weakens our defense and rebounding too much. Is the three guard strategy the only time we will see Howard or could he be used to give Frank or Tyus a rest so they wouldn’t’ have to play 40 minutes a game?”

I’ll be interested in his response. My hunch was that he wasn’t taking Frank out because he wanted him to stay confident. I guess he won’t say that, though.

His response as always is just pure deflection. Case in point here he states clearly it's about how well Frank and tyus are playing but yet look at Connecticut and tell me it would not have been nice to see Howard Washington get a few more minutes.

I understand Frank is supposedly on another level than Washington but Jim is convince him self to think that players never get tired. Other coaches will say if they're not getting tired they're not playing hard enough!
Jim is smart and not just subbing players because he assumes they will be tired!

However,I think sometimes Frank needs to chill and regroup his brain more than any other player I've seen recently.

Many coaches say they don't want to have to make these decisions and that's why they don't prefer a ton of depth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course the answer will be a deflection. That's how "Gotcha" questions are usually answered.

Of course the answer will be a deflection. That's how "Gotcha" questions are usually answered.

I was trying to find out if he planned to use Frank only in three guard line-ups. His statements on the show last week and in the post game presser seemed to contradict each other.

That's a "gotcha" question?

I was trying to find out if he planned to use Frank only in three guard line-ups. His statements on the show last week and in the post game presser seemed to contradict each other.

That's a "gotcha" question?
The "gotcha" portion was the very end, the "or could he be used to give Frank or Tyus a rest so they wouldn’t’ have to play 40 minutes a game?” piece. Not much of a question really, of course he could. When you end your question with that, you should not be surprised that JB gets defensive.

Jim Boeheim has been at his job long enough to work his way around pretty much any question he doesn't want to answer clearly.

I'd like someone to ask him:

1. "When was the last time you spoke with Louie Orr?"
2. "What do you think of Louie Orr coaching at Georgetown and under Patrick Ewing (pardon the use of two vile terms there)?"

Jim Boeheim has been at his job long enough to work his way around pretty much any question he doesn't want to answer clearly.

I'd like someone to ask him:

1. "When was the last time you spoke with Louie Orr?"
2. "What do you think of Louie Orr coaching at Georgetown and under Patrick Ewing (pardon the use of two vile terms there)?"

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Syracuse University Athletics
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The "gotcha" portion was the very end, the "or could he be used to give Frank or Tyus a rest so they wouldn’t’ have to play 40 minutes a game?” piece. Not much of a question really, of course he could. When you end your question with that, you should not be surprised that JB gets defensive.

Well, I wasn't trying to "get him". I just wanted to know if this was going to be the pattern for the season. It sounds like it is.

Well, I wasn't trying to "get him". I just wanted to know if this was going to be the pattern for the season. It sounds like it is.
To me, it's a little unfortunate to not see HW develop. But I think in the long term plan, HW was supposed to see his minutes increase in his Jr and Sr years. Giving him normal 3rd guard minutes now may have led to what might look like a demotion in his soph season and possibly even junior years.

When Geno left I had been hoping one of the reasons was because HW was threatening his position. That does not appear to be the case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom