My Question for tonight's Dino Babers Show (before Connecticut) | Syracusefan.com

My Question for tonight's Dino Babers Show (before Connecticut)

SWC75

Bored Historian

Coach Babers’s show this year show will be Thursday nights at 7PM except when the game is not on a Saturday. This year it will be 90 minutes, with the first hour being with Dino and the last half hour being with a ‘special guest’, who in the past just got a couple minutes at the end of the show.

The show originates from Heritage Hill Brewery in Jamesville:
3149 Sweet Rd · 3149 Sweet Rd, Jamesville, NY 13078

You can also listen to the show live each week on the Syracuse IMG Sports Network and Cuse.com. Wednesday's show will be on 99.1 FM and 97.7 FM, as well. The show will regularly air on 99.5FM (Syracuse) 99.1 FM (Utica) and 1200 AM.”
You can also get it on: https://tunein.com/radio/home/

There hasn’t been any change in the phone numbers, which last year were 315-424-8599 (local) or 1-888-746-2873. You can call to ask questions or submit them via Twitter at: https://twitter.com/CuseIMG
#AskDino or through Cuse.com, (the SU Athletic website):
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics

You can (or could last year, anyway), listen to a podcast of the show, probably the next day, at: Search results for babers | Free Internet Radio | TuneIn

My Question(s) or Comments (or theories)

“Coach, you said in your Monday press conference something I’ve heard many times before: that teams tend to improve the most from the first game of the season to the second. In 2016, in the second game we lost to Louisville by 34 points. In 2017 we lost to Middle Tennessee State. In 2018 we blew out Wagner by 52. In 2019 it was the 43 point loss to Maryland. In 2020 we lost by 11 to Pittsburgh on the road. In 2021 came the 6 point loss to Rutgers. Even considering differences in level of competition from game 1 to 2, that doesn’t reveal a lot of improvement. Is the cliché still true?”

I mean… I might give him a bit more of a layup after last week’s performance. But that would be me and I can call in if that’s what I want.

Appreciate all your contributions SWC!

Some variables — do you start the season with a veteran OL, an all-American RB, a returning QB who can make plays? If so, you might be good in game 1.

I don’t know, seems like a gotcha question. Maybe ask what went wrong in game 2 of those years and what we are doing so it doesn’t happen again.

Coach Babers’s show this year show will be Thursday nights at 7PM except when the game is not on a Saturday. This year it will be 90 minutes, with the first hour being with Dino and the last half hour being with a ‘special guest’, who in the past just got a couple minutes at the end of the show.

The show originates from Heritage Hill Brewery in Jamesville:
3149 Sweet Rd · 3149 Sweet Rd, Jamesville, NY 13078

You can also listen to the show live each week on the Syracuse IMG Sports Network and Cuse.com. Wednesday's show will be on 99.1 FM and 97.7 FM, as well. The show will regularly air on 99.5FM (Syracuse) 99.1 FM (Utica) and 1200 AM.”
You can also get it on: https://tunein.com/radio/home/

There hasn’t been any change in the phone numbers, which last year were 315-424-8599 (local) or 1-888-746-2873. You can call to ask questions or submit them via Twitter at: https://twitter.com/CuseIMG
#AskDino or through Cuse.com, (the SU Athletic website):
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics

You can (or could last year, anyway), listen to a podcast of the show, probably the next day, at: Search results for babers | Free Internet Radio | TuneIn

My Question(s) or Comments (or theories)

“Coach, you said in your Monday press conference something I’ve heard many times before: that teams tend to improve the most from the first game of the season to the second. In 2016, in the second game we lost to Louisville by 34 points. In 2017 we lost to Middle Tennessee State. In 2018 we blew out Wagner by 52. In 2019 it was the 43 point loss to Maryland. In 2020 we lost by 11 to Pittsburgh on the road. In 2021 came the 6 point loss to Rutgers. Even considering differences in level of competition from game 1 to 2, that doesn’t reveal a lot of improvement. Is the cliché still true?”
Dino Baber's Real Answer (if coaches told the truth):
In reality teams improve at different rates throughout the season depending on alot of things. If fans really looked at that statement there is a logical fallacy in it, if teams improve the most from first game to the second, doesn't that apply to both teams or more accurately all teams at different rates, and truth be told some don't improve.
How can I sit here with a straight face and tell you that we will be a better team next week when we lost 2x quality and talented starters. I can't. In a vacuum we will not be a better team next week.
Thank god we are playing a weaker opponent in UCONN this week. We can't continue to lose 2 players a game and remain successful. We'll work hard to try to minimize their loss and hope we don't continue to have more. To answer your question more directly it has more to do with whom you're playing and UCONN I think improves our odds of winning. Also we are a better team now that the team that lost to MTS. I'm not hear to talk about the past but concentrate on the future. Our coaching staffs are so much better and our top line team has alot of talent. This season will come down if we can stay healthy and if we can stop the run when we rotate our DL. Thanks for the question.

In what week has the team not struggled?

Yeah, I don't think there are any magic weeks where every season we've kicked azz and taken names.

Well - other than Bye Week.
Bye Week U is our beyotches - we own them. :p

yeah, there really haven't been too many weeks under Dino where we have done well, so not too concerned about this. Louisville in 2016? really, Lamar against that first year Ward defense? please. MTSU in 2017? that was cigar boy day, the players got roped into the emotions of his return, and played like it. 2019 was a garbage team who thought they were all that. 2020 was crap every single week. 2021, if we had started GS, we win that game. basically, this team is way better than all of the teams that lost in game 2, and is playing one of the worst teams in the FBS. Hell even that 2019 team would have beaten U Conn if we played them in week 2. I think.

Some variables — do you start the season with a veteran OL, an all-American RB, a returning QB who can make plays? If so, you might be good in game 1.
and and OC and QB coach, neither of whom have the last name Gilbert

I mean… I might give him a bit more of a layup after last week’s performance. But that would be me and I can call in if that’s what I want.

Appreciate all your contributions SWC!

I don’t know, seems like a gotcha question. Maybe ask what went wrong in game 2 of those years and what we are doing so it doesn’t happen again.

I would phrase your question better and just reveal his record in Week 2 as SU head coach which is 1-5. What is he doing this year to clean that record up.

Don't worry, I'll butter him up a bit before that. ;)

I called into his show yesterday and gave him the second game stat.
I kinda figured that wasn’t just a coincidence.

Yeah, I don't think there are any magic weeks where every season we've kicked azz and taken names.

Well - other than Bye Week.
Bye Week U is our beyotches - we own them. :p
I dont know...I think technically we are even with BYE

SU's record in each game, (#1-#12, ignoring byes),
Game #1 6-1
Game #2 1-5
Game #3 4-2
Game #4 5-2
Game #5 1-5
Game #6 1-5
Game #7 3-3
Game #8 3-3