My questions for tomorrow night's Jim Boeheim Show | Syracusefan.com

My questions for tomorrow night's Jim Boeheim Show

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from the Cavalier Room at the Marriott in Downtown Syracuse. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Submit a Question!
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: WGVA

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

1st Hour: “Coach, SU fans were so sad to hear about the passing of Fab Melo at the age of 26. Every person deserves more of a chance at life than that. I’ll always remember Fab as the happy warrior that gave us our best ever regular season. Some brought up his academic troubles and blamed him for the NCAA sanction against the program. To what extent was Fab personally responsible for what happened? “

2nd Hour: “Coach, We’ve had two centers die while still in their 20’s of heart problems, Conrad McRae and no Fab Melo. Sometimes these things are due to the accelerated growth rate of tall athletes. Are there ways of telling that a young player might have such a problem such that he might be able to treated for it?”

Coach why do you publicly shame Tyler Roberson so much? The kid may have his flaws but he is on course to graduate and you seem to constantly call him out after games. This team only has 9 scholarship players that isn't Roberson's fault. Why the public shaming.

^
What everyone else said. Your questions are usually probing but fair and thoughtful. I'm not sure either question displays tact, especially the first one. Do we really want to go down that road...again?

^
What everyone else said. Your questions are usually probing but fair and thoughtful. I'm not sure either question displays tact, especially the first one. Do we really want to go down that road...again?

My thoughts exactly about #1. I think we've discussed ad nauseum on here that there is no need to go there so soon after he died - or probably even ever at this point. On #2, JB isn't a doctor.

Last edited:
#1 is good question...but perhaps not the time to ask it.
It's also too easy for him to avoid it by saying just that.

Both questions are relevant now. I see no point in waiting. They are certainly not "ambush" questions.

Both questions are relevant now. I see no point in waiting. They are certainly not "ambush" questions.

Wow you can do whatever you want obviously, but almost everything in the thread thinks they aren't good questions and you still dig your heels in. As much value as you bring to the board, one thing I've noticed over the years is it's pointless to debate you because you never reconsider your opinion on anything. The kid just died. If you didn't want to ask the question last week, why ask it now when he's not here to defend himself.

Why not ask JB what positive memories or stories he has of Fab that people may not know about???

Last edited:
You just saw what happened to CTO for expressing her opinion on the extent of Fab's personal responsibility for what happened with the NCAA. Why would you wish the same thing that happened to CTO on someone else?
Let Fab RIP. Why would you even ask question 1 now?

The kid just died. Do you really think JB is going to answer that question? Really? Waste of air time, IMO. You're not going to get an answer. For either question.

You just saw what happened to CTO for expressing her opinion on the extent of Fab's personal responsibility for what happened with the NCAA. Why would you wish the same thing that happened to CTO on someone else?
Let Fab RIP. Why would you even ask question 1 now?

My idea is to defend him. I've read articles and seen posts where people seems to be blaming him for what happened and I don't think he should be blamed. That's the answer I'm hoping for. he's already been asked a bland question about his memories of melo and that subjected will probably be discussed before they even take questions. I've incorporated my own favorable memories of Fab into the question, which will probably echo what the coach will have just said.That should get the conversation off to a good start.

As to the second question, heart problems seem to be more frequent with tall athletes and this sport is all about tall athletes and even within the sport, Syracuse is noted for looking for rather skinny, "long" big men. They take physicals and maintaining physical well-being is part of the program. I thought I'd see if the SU program is looking for possible problems. If not, perhaps they should be. There are specific things to look for, with Marfan Syndrome as an example: Marfan syndrome - Wikipedia

I believe asking what his favorite Fab Melo story (on or off the court) is a more appropriate question rather than asking his involvement in the case. That way he can give a statement on Fab, tell a story, and maybe if he gets on a roll he may hint at how much involvement there actually was.

My idea is to defend him. I've read articles and seen posts where people seems to be blaming him for what happened and I don't think he should be blamed. That's the answer I'm hoping for. he's already been asked a bland question about his memories of melo and that subjected will probably be discussed before they even take questions. I've incorporated my own favorable memories of Fab into the question, which will probably echo what the coach will have just said.That should get the conversation off to a good start.

As to the second question, heart problems seem to be more frequent with tall athletes and this sport is all about tall athletes and even within the sport, Syracuse is noted for looking for rather skinny, "long" big men. They take physicals and maintaining physical well-being is part of the program. I thought I'd see if the SU program is looking for possible problems. If not, perhaps they should be. There are specific things to look for, with Marfan Syndrome as an example: Marfan syndrome - Wikipedia

For question 1...if that is what you are going for, then it appears to be worded wrong...As far as question 1, maybe ask it from a coach's perspective is that something they, as a coach, are concerned about and ask their medical professionals to keep an eye on...

Coach why do you publicly shame Tyler Roberson so much? The kid may have his flaws but he is on course to graduate and you seem to constantly call him out after games. This team only has 9 scholarship players that isn't Roberson's fault. Why the public shaming.

This question is far more incendiary than anything I have proposed.

For question 1...if that is what you are going for, then it appears to be worded wrong...As far as question 1, maybe ask it from a coach's perspective is that something they, as a coach, are concerned about and ask their medical professionals to keep an eye on...

I'll review and try to soften the wording as much as I can. Your suggested approach on #2 sounds good.

I'll review and try to soften the wording as much as I can. Your suggested approach on #2 sounds good.

Thank you...I am sure you will word it just fine...I think the last part of question 1 "To what extent was Fab personally responsible for what happened?" has the perception of attacking Fab, which is not your intent...JB has mentioned that sadly Fab would be remembered for a term paper and not his personality and character...maybe ask him to expound on that comment he made?

Thank you...I am sure you will word it just fine...I think the last part of question 1 "To what extent was Fab personally responsible for what happened?" has the perception of attacking Fab, which is not your intent...JB has mentioned that sadly Fab would be remembered for a term paper and not his personality and character...maybe ask him to expound on that comment he made?

Does this sound a bit better?

1st Hour: “Coach, SU fans were so sad to hear about the passing of Fab Melo at the age of 26. Every person deserves more of a chance at life than that. I’ll always remember Fab as the happy warrior that gave us our best ever regular season. Unfortunately, some have taken the occasion to bring up his academic troubles and even blamed him for the NCAA sanction against the program. To what extent was Fab personally responsible for what happened and to what extent was it the actions of others that created the problem? “

2nd Hour: “Coach, We’ve had two centers die while still in their 20’s of heart problems, Conrad McRae and no Fab Melo. Sometimes these things are due to the accelerated growth rate of tall athletes. Are there ways of telling that a young player might have such a problem such that he might be able to treated for it? Is there anything that a coach can see that might cause him to ask the doctors to check a player out?”

Does this sound a bit better?

1st Hour: “Coach, SU fans were so sad to hear about the passing of Fab Melo at the age of 26. Every person deserves more of a chance at life than that. I’ll always remember Fab as the happy warrior that gave us our best ever regular season. Unfortunately, some have taken the occasion to bring up his academic troubles and even blamed him for the NCAA sanction against the program. To what extent was Fab personally responsible for what happened and to what extent was it the actions of others that created the problem? “

2nd Hour: “Coach, We’ve had two centers die while still in their 20’s of heart problems, Conrad McRae and no Fab Melo. Sometimes these things are due to the accelerated growth rate of tall athletes. Are there ways of telling that a young player might have such a problem such that he might be able to treated for it? Is there anything that a coach can see that might cause him to ask the doctors to check a player out?”

IMO...I think that is much better at getting your point across...

Look I love what you do here but no matter how you word no 1, JB is going to be dismissive of the question. And we already know the answer! Fab is not responsible for what happened...

Just looking out for you and don't want JB to think less because of the question. I'd rather see him answer whether he could ever actually get mad at Fab given his light heart.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom