1. If you are getting script errors or redirects, please click here and switch to the "Alternate Style." You can dismiss this notice by clicking the little x at the top right of this box. If you still have a problem, email me at: tom@emery.net
    Dismiss Notice

My questions for tomorrow night's Jim Boeheim Show

Discussion in 'Syracuse Basketball Board' started by SWC75, Feb 15, 2017.

1. two3zone

two3zone Hall of Fame

And his answers were spot on. Great questions, you got a question answered that nobody has had the balls to ask or wanted to ask for years. People have wanted a scapegoat for sooooo long and they nailed the kid to the wall when he really wasn't the one to shoulder all the blame. Sad...

SWC75 likes this.
  2. br801

br801 All American

This isn't exactly a revelation. If one had considered the situation objectively, it wouldn't have been difficult to conclude that Fab was not the primary culprit.

two3zone, AZOrange and MSOrange like this.
  3. cuseinseattle

cuseinseattle Starter

I feel like Boeheim has been saying this from the beginning though. Maybe I'm wrong but when it happened he was saying I can't talk about it but it's not Fab's fault he has been working really hard. I feel like he said it on multiple occasions without discussing details.

capeorange, MSOrange and br801 like this.
  4. br801

br801 All American

I agree. But there obviously are many who never bought that (and still don't).

two3zone and MSOrange like this.
  5. two3zone

two3zone Hall of Fame

I've always held strong that I blamed the school for what happened with the Melo situation. The sanctions were tough on us but there weren't many people standing with me around here when I'd voice that.

Fab got crushed around here and the blame was placed on him big time, even CTOs comment "he cost us wins", it wasn't just her and she even said that in her second post, the kid got crushed by Syracuse fans since he left and pretty much took all of the blame for this.

I don't think I've ever heard anybody from the University say what JB did and I don't even think I've seen more than a handful of fans defend Fab since 2012.

6. SWC75

SWC75 Bored Historian

But it still needed to be said, especially when people were using the occasion of his death to blame him for the NCAA sanctions.

two3zone likes this.
  7. br801

br801 All American

Of course, and I'm glad JB expressed those sentiments about Fab, but I'm afraid Fab's legacy will be forever stigmatized by those who have been relentless in their criticism.

two3zone likes this.
  8. SWC75

SWC75 Bored Historian

And my purpose was to answer those criticisms.

My initial wording of the questions was poor and I'm glad that people pointed that out and made the suggestions they did. But they needed to be asked.

9. cuseinseattle

cuseinseattle Starter

I think there are two different things. Fab isn't to blame for the issue regarding the paper and e-mails that I can't imagine he was directly aware about. Which is what Boeheim has always said and said again on his show this week. The other issue is that Fab spent a good amount of time drinking at Chuck's and he was considered someone who wasn't focused on the school aspect of things in general. I feel like this was somewhat a general opinion that was accepted even before his academic problems reared their head and I think that is peoples issue. I personally don't pass judgment because I remember how much drinking I did in college and I feel like I could have studied a lot more. I believe the people that hold Fab responsible feel like something like this was bound to happen because of his level of importance to the team and he should have not put people in the position to have to do these things to keep him on the court. Obviously you hold the people accountable who broke the rules and that wasn't Fab. I personally think Fab gets a bad rap and I think many of things he did would have been fine (partying and not focusing as much on class) if he had been an American kid who spoke English as his first language. Unfortunately he didn't and he needed to be going above and beyond to learn the language and do good in school as well as play basketball. That is easy for me to say though as that is a very hard thing for a kid that age.

10. 721Comstock

721Comstock Starter

I didn't have a D1 hoops scholarship for SU, but when I was a Soph, I got a 1.4 GPA my first semester. :oops:
    Drinking, doing other stuff, homesick, hated my major, thought about transferring; classes and grades were the last thing on my mind then.

And that's as a native, English speaking kid who got really good grades in HS (I had a National Merit scholarship, which got torched after the above-mentioned 1.4) -
    can't imagine being a foreign-born, ESL kid trying to get thru college, while also playing D1 hoops at the highest level.