My questions for tomorrow night's Jim Boeheim Show | Syracusefan.com

My questions for tomorrow night's Jim Boeheim Show

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from Carrabba's Italian Grill in Fayetteville. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

This year’s schedule: Tuesday, November 12, 7:00 pm, Tuesday, November 19, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 5, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 12, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 19, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 26, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 2, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 9, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 16, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 23, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 30, 7:00 pm, Thursday, February 6, 7:00 pm, Thursday, February 13, 7:00 pm, Thursday, February 20, 7:00 pm, Thursday, February 27, 7:00 pm,
Thursday, March 5, 7:00 pm.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: TuneIn | Free Internet Radio | NFL, Sports, Podcasts, Music & News

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

First Hour:

“Coach, one encouraging thing about the NC State game was that 49 of our 74 points came from freshmen. When you combine that with good recruiting news and the fact that we have no seniors, the future looks bright. The key is to keep players here while they develop their skills. We’ve lost a lot of players after a year or two in recent years. It’s often said that the NBA drafts player based on potential. You’ve pointed out that there are very few spots open on an NBA roster and each year there’s a whole new wave of talent becoming available. I would think that NBA teams would draft to get fully developed players who could help them immediately. Why do they draft on potential?”

Second Hour:

“Coach, Marek’s confrontation with the refs in the Wake Forest game reminded me of a baseball story from years ago. A player named Bob Dillinger, who wore glasses, was disgusted with two strike calls an umpire had given him. He handed his glasses to the Umpire, who then put them on and called for the next pitch. “STRIKE THREE!” He then handed the glasses back to Dillinger. My question is: isn’t there a league or Dome rule against showing replays of controversial calls? Should there be such a rule?”

Coach why dont you use all of your TOs.

Personally I’m glad we see replays. The people at home on couches see them on their tv yet paying fans in their seats can’t see them or shouldn’t see them? No reason to give people more reasons to stay home. For too long, people at the games (both basketball & football) would have to go home and hope there was a video replay to find out why a call was or wasn’t made or should or shouldn’t have been made - that those at home already knew.

Personally I’m glad we see replays. The people at home on couches see them on their tv yet paying fans in their seats can’t see them or shouldn’t see them? No reason to give people more reasons to stay home. For too long, people at the games (both basketball & football) would have to go home and hope there was a video replay to find out why a call was or wasn’t made or should or shouldn’t have been made - that those at home already knew.

They are afraid of a riot if a bad call decided a game.

But if you don't show it because it's a bad call, what does that tell the crowd?

Reminds me of another baseball story: After a called strike, the batter goes ballistic, really showing up the ump. He ends his rant with "That's the worst call I've ever seen". The ump answers "Wait until you see the next one!"

They are afraid of a riot if a bad call decided a game.

But if you don't show it because it's a bad call, what does that tell the crowd?

Who is afraid? The refs? The players? The coaches? Sorry, I may not have been clear, my point is why attend games if you can have a better view and knowledge about what is happening on the floor by staying at home than those who pay to attend - not anything regarding not attending because of a bad call.

Plays at the other end of the court, when you are blocked from seeing a crucial play or call etc are really frustrating when attending a game - regardless if it’s a great play, poor play , good call or bad call. I know people who say why attend, pay for tickets, parking etc when you can get a better view and idea of what’s happening on the court or field when watching on tv. There are also plays that you may think were bad calls initially but when replayed you understand what really happened and why the call was made. I know that’s happened for me.

Players some still teenagers, coaches etc are under scrutiny during games constantly but refs needs to be protected? Was there concern that a riot was going to occur? Are the replays to blame for crowds being upset or the call or play itself and the view one has of the play? MLB, NFL, NBA all have replays but college basketball shouldn’t? It’s one thing when you don’t like being showed up after a bad play or call, it’s another issue if you feel you will be physically attacked. If games need to have plays censored worried about violence, then the problem is much bigger than replays.

i'm going to guess GMs draft "potential" when they think they've seen the 'ceiling' of a more experienced player, and don't think it's high enough to make an impact in the NBA. "Potential" picks represent boom or bust lotto thinking.

Reminds me of another baseball story: After a called strike, the batter goes ballistic, really showing up the ump. He ends his rant with "That's the worst call I've ever seen". The ump answers "Wait until you see the next one!"

A Foster Brooks story: he took up golf. he was told he had to have a caddy. "What's a caddy?" he was told it was a guy who helps you look for your ball. Brooks lost so many balls that he ran out of them and had to quit.

Brooks: "You must be the worst caddy in the world."

Caddy: that would be too much of a coincidence."

A Foster Brooks story: he took up golf. he was told he had to have a caddy. "What's a caddy?" he was told it was a guy who helps you look for your ball. Brooks lost so many balls that he ran out of them and had to quit.

Brooks: "You must be the worst caddy in the world."

Caddy: that would be too much of a coincidence."
Is there a text slang thing for "guffaw out load"?

The answer to question one is easy. Everybody is afraid they'll miss out on the next superstar if they pass on a guy that oozes potential but is not yet developed. With the rookie salary cap, there is little risk if a guy is a bust, so you just keep on trying until you get that one guy that can lead you to the promised land.

Players some still teenagers, coaches etc are under scrutiny during games constantly but refs needs to be protected?
This is the crux of why it’s so frustrating for me. I just want a fair game decided by the teams. This year has been horrible. There have been so many bad calls effecting the outcome and quality of the game.

I‘ll go further and say that I would like some justice when there is a blown call. I don’t expect the refs to call a perfect game but they must be held to a standard. Just like everyone else, refs should have to answer to the press after games. If not, then let the coaches and players say whatever they want without penalty. And give them recourse for the game-deciding bad calls.

The refs need more in game support. How about a fourth official? How about a fifth at a monitor that has the power to overturn and can make replay faster?

They need a simpler rule book. There are too many changes and new emphases each year. There’s too much discretion on what constitutes a foul/violation and whether to call it. It should be simpler. Rules regarding when they can use replay and when they can overturn a call are inconsistent and do not reflect any principle of equity.

And - to assist the refs on out of bounds calls, there should be cameras (like for tennis and baseball) on the lines specifically-
You likely wouldn’t even need to refer to them in every game, but for times when a crucial oob call is missed, they would be invaluable.

Often times the TV cameras don’t have a good angle, or no angle at all.
Why rely on whether the cameraman happened to get the shot?

It’s 2020 - digital video is readily available and dirt cheap.
Zero excuses for not implementing this.

And - to assist the refs on out of bounds calls, there should be cameras (like for tennis and baseball) on the lines specifically-
You likely wouldn’t even need to refer to them in every game, but for times when a crucial oob call is missed, they would be invaluable.

Often times the TV cameras don’t have a good angle, or no angle at all.
Why rely on whether the cameraman happened to get the shot?

It’s 2020 - digital video is readily available and dirt cheap.
Zero excuses for not implementing this.
Like a pylon camera in football. Good suggestion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom