My Questions for tonight's Dino Babers show | Syracusefan.com

My Questions for tonight's Dino Babers show

SWC75

Bored Historian

Coach Babers’s show this year show will be Thursday nights at 7PM except when the game is not on a Saturday. This year it will be 90 minutes, with the first hour being with Dino and the last half hour being with a ‘special guest’, who in the past just got a couple minutes at the end of the show.

The show originates from Heritage Hill Brewery in Jamesville:
3149 Sweet Rd · 3149 Sweet Rd, Jamesville, NY 13078

You can also listen to the show live each week on the Syracuse IMG Sports Network and Cuse.com. Wednesday's show will be on 99.1 FM and 97.7 FM, as well. The show will regularly air on 99.5FM (Syracuse) 99.1 FM (Utica) and 1200 AM.”
You can also get it on: Listen to Free Radio Online | Free Internet Radio | TuneIn

There hasn’t been any change in the phone numbers, which last year were 315-424-8599 (local) or 1-888-746-2873. You can call to ask questions or submit them via Twitter at: https://twitter.com/CuseIMG
#AskDino or through Cuse.com, (the SU Athletic website):
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics

You can (or could last year, anyway), listen to a podcast of the show, probably the next day, at: Search results for babers | Free Internet Radio | TuneIn

My Question(s) or Comments

First segment question:

“Coach a week ago it was felt that we needed to jump out on top of an 0-4 Florida State team to discourage them. We also are committed to a rushing attach, which works better when you are in the lead than when you fall behind. In the first 24 minutes of that game we gained 49 yards and scored no points. In the last 36 minutes, we gained 340 yards and scored 30 points. What adjustments were made to produce those results and why couldn’t we play that was from the beginning of the game?”

Second segment question:

“Coach, every team in the ACC Atlantic has been to at least 5 bowl games since we joined the conference in 2013, except us. We’ve been to two. Wake Forest is the one team we have a winning record against, 5-3, (thank you Trill Williams), but they’ve been to 5 bowl games in a row. How can we get to bowl games at least as often as Wake Forest does?”

Coach Babers’s show this year show will be Thursday nights at 7PM except when the game is not on a Saturday. This year it will be 90 minutes, with the first hour being with Dino and the last half hour being with a ‘special guest’, who in the past just got a couple minutes at the end of the show.

The show originates from Heritage Hill Brewery in Jamesville:
3149 Sweet Rd · 3149 Sweet Rd, Jamesville, NY 13078

You can also listen to the show live each week on the Syracuse IMG Sports Network and Cuse.com. Wednesday's show will be on 99.1 FM and 97.7 FM, as well. The show will regularly air on 99.5FM (Syracuse) 99.1 FM (Utica) and 1200 AM.”
You can also get it on: Listen to Free Radio Online | Free Internet Radio | TuneIn

There hasn’t been any change in the phone numbers, which last year were 315-424-8599 (local) or 1-888-746-2873. You can call to ask questions or submit them via Twitter at: https://twitter.com/CuseIMG
#AskDino or through Cuse.com, (the SU Athletic website):
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics

You can (or could last year, anyway), listen to a podcast of the show, probably the next day, at: Search results for babers | Free Internet Radio | TuneIn

My Question(s) or Comments

First segment question:

“Coach a week ago it was felt that we needed to jump out on top of an 0-4 Florida State team to discourage them. We also are committed to a rushing attach, which works better when you are in the lead than when you fall behind. In the first 24 minutes of that game we gained 49 yards and scored no points. In the last 36 minutes, we gained 340 yards and scored 30 points. What adjustments were made to produce those results and why couldn’t we play that was from the beginning of the game?”

Second segment question:

“Coach, every team in the ACC Atlantic has been to at least 5 bowl games since we joined the conference in 2013, except us. We’ve been to two. Wake Forest is the one team we have a winning record against, 5-3, (thank you Trill Williams), but they’ve been to 5 bowl games in a row. How can we get to bowl games at least as often as Wake Forest does?”
Love the first question. We waste drives at the beginning of games. It's almost like we're waiting to be down in the score before being aggressive. Feel free to add that we've scored 0 points in the 1st quarter in our 3 games against similarly talented teams (RU, Liberty, FSU). I was thinking of asking that, but now that you are addressing it, I got other questions to cover.

Last edited:
So we shouldn’t give it to our best player to start a series of downs...ok,got it.
Sean has done some good work with screen passes so far this season.

We ran Sean 14 times on 1st down and he averaged 4.71 yards per carry on those. Is 2nd and 5 or 6 a decent situation. I’ll take it.

we didnt call runs on every first down,, the QB went with the run on every first down. We are still running RPO aren't we?

So we shouldn’t give it to our best player to start a series of downs...ok,got it.

Remember when our best player had that game tying 24 yard touchdown run against Rutgers with 6 minutes left in the 3rd quarter and then you ran 7 straight pass plays on the next 3 drives for 2 punts and a fumble?

chris-farley.gif

I think we should take Shrader out. Put wr number jerseys on offensive lineman and go with Tucker at QB. Rhino at RB.
Put Red in the slot position. Froumey and Ellis as the WRs. Never punt and dare teams to stop us.

Remember when our best player had that game tying 24 yard touchdown run against Rutgers with 6 minutes left in the 3rd quarter and then you ran 7 straight pass plays on the next 3 drives for 2 punts and a fumble?

chris-farley.gif
Yes. Are you affirming my positions?

Yes. Are you affirming my positions?

I am indeed.

I don't think we run him every first down, but this offense is evolving. I think we're going to see a lot more first down play action, rollouts, etc.

I am indeed.

I don't think we run him every first down, but this offense is evolving. I think we're going to see a lot more first down play action, rollouts, etc.
Agreed. Although tomorrow I would bet we are hell bent to run a ton,keep clock rolling and do our best to keep the possessions at a minimum for that Wake offense.

chris-farley.gif
They lost the sheet with all the run plays on it. It’s the only explanation that makes sense.

We're a running team now. Start with Tucker runs, then mix in Shrader runs, then Shrader passes and RPOs, some of the passes going to Tucker and an occasional shot downfield. Get the first 2-3 in on the first drive. get it all in by the second quarter.

Here’s the thing with running Tucker on first down. If you don’t do it enough to creep safeties in the box, then you haven’t done it enough. You have to create that specific look to then exploit.

If you are a running team, and the opposition is stopping you without sending any of the safeties, you are pretty much messed.

the problem we had with FSU is that they didn’t stack the box pre- snap. Shrader read 5-6 in the box so he went with the correct read. FSU’s safeties crashed on the snap.

it took us a few possessions to trust that would continue. Sometimes you have to remember the other team is trying to win too.

Shrader will see that more quickly with more reps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom