My Questions for Tonight's Jim Boeheim Show | Syracusefan.com

My Questions for Tonight's Jim Boeheim Show

SWC75

Bored Historian
First hour:

"Coach, congratulations on finally getting a victory over a ranked team after several near misses. It seems to me that Rakeem Christmas and Michael Gbinije might be the two most improved players in the country. I am concerned about Rakeem’s struggles against Jahlil Okafor. Okafor is quite a player but he has the size and mobility of an NBA center, the sort Rakeem would go up against every night on the next level. Can Rakeem play center in the NBA? Does he have the shooting ability to be an NBA forward? "

Second hour:

"Coach, I tend to assume that it’s a good sign when an outside shooter hits his first shot. You’d think that would give him confidence and he’d be on his way to a good shooting night. Against Virginia Tech, Trevor Cooney hit a three ten seconds into the game, then missed 10 of 11 the rest of the game. Against Pittsburgh Trevor his a three a minute and 7 seconds in, then missed 6 in a row. Against Boston College he made a three pointer seven seconds in and was 2 for 7 after that. Against Duke he hit his first three shots, two of them 3 pointers, then missed 10 shots in a row. Last night he made a three 32 seconds in and was 0 for 9 in the last 39 minutes and 28 seconds. Have you ever seen a pattern like this? Why does hitting the first shot mean so little in Trevor’s case?"

Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from Delmonico’s Italian Steakhouse on Erie Boulevard in Syracuse. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
http://cuse.com/sb_output.aspx?form=4
Or on Twitter at mattpark1.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: http://tunein.com/radio/WGVA-1240-s29191/

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

how about "coach, it has now been well established by team fans that Trevor Cooney is a negative factor on the team. He's a 4th year junior, don't you think you should 'encourage' him to take his degree and move on, for the good of all concerned?"

SWC, I think I'd add that Trevor seems to be fatigued playing so many minutes and why not play Joseph and Patterson for a few minutes to give Trevor a break?

how about "coach, it has now been well established by team fans that Trevor Cooney is a negative factor on the team. He's a 4th year junior, don't you think you should 'encourage' him to take his degree and move on, for the good of all concerned?"

SWC, I think I'd add that Trevor seems to be fatigued playing so many minutes and why not play Joseph and Patterson for a few minutes to give Trevor a break?

I'll let you guys ask those questions.

Gee coach in your latest press conferences you seem remarkedly different. I know you take one game at a time but does the fact that you know the eventual out come of this team allows you to be a coach and savor the games without the pressure of having to win to get to a tournament or better seed. PS coach, thats not my question but I said I would ask it for the little boy in the wheelchair who has difficulty speaking.

How about "Coach, I didn't get a chance to see the newspaper today, but was just wondering if there were any articles written about your winning streak against Pitino, now that it has reached...what? one game."

How about "Coach, I didn't get a chance to see the newspaper today, but was just wondering if there were any articles written about your winning streak against Pitino, now that it has reached...what? one game."

4 out of 6!

First hour:

"Coach, congratulations on finally getting a victory over a ranked team after several near misses. It seems to me that Rakeem Christmas and Michael Gbinije might be the two most improved players in the country. I am concerned about Rakeem’s struggles against Jahlil Okafor. Okafor is quite a player but he has the size and mobility of an NBA center, the sort Rakeem would go up against every night on the next level. Can Rakeem play center in the NBA? Does he have the shooting ability to be an NBA forward? "

Second hour:

"Coach, I tend to assume that it’s a good sign when an outside shooter hits his first shot. You’d think that would give him confidence and he’d be on his way to a good shooting night. Against Virginia Tech, Trevor Cooney hit a three ten seconds into the game, then missed 10 of 11 the rest of the game. Against Pittsburgh Trevor his a three a minute and 7 seconds in, then missed 6 in a row. Against Boston College he made a three pointer seven seconds in and was 2 for 7 after that. Against Duke he hit his first three shots, two of them 3 pointers, then missed 10 shots in a row. Last night he made a three 32 seconds in and was 0 for 9 in the last 39 minutes and 28 seconds. Have you ever seen a pattern like this? Why does hitting the first shot mean so little in Trevor’s case?"

Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from Delmonico’s Italian Steakhouse on Erie Boulevard in Syracuse. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
http://cuse.com/sb_output.aspx?form=4
Or on Twitter at mattpark1.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: http://tunein.com/radio/WGVA-1240-s29191/

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.
I actually get physically nervous for you when I read at least one of your questions before seeing the rough transcript of the radio program. The Cooney question is the one this week. You are one brave man.

I actually get physically nervous for you when I read at least one of your questions before seeing the rough transcript of the radio program. The Cooney question is the one this week. You are one brave man.

JB likes me. Early on I suggested something and he said "This guy is probably a guy who works at a gas station and thinks he knows more about basketball than a guy whose profession is coaching. I told him that was wrong. I was a cubicle dweller who thinks because I can throw a waded up piece of paper into a waste basket that means I know all about basketball. he laughed and has grown over the years to trust that my questions were well-intended.

Steve, just out of curiosity, how long have you been calling into the show? I'm only 30 and have remembered you leading off the questions for a number of years.

Steve, just out of curiosity, how long have you been calling into the show? I'm only 30 and have remembered you leading off the questions for a number of years.

I was trying to think of that myself. I remember at the beginning you couldn't call in. You had to type your question onto a screen and they would choose which questions to answer. It was more like a webchat. You could just put in comments or have exchanges with other other people about the team on this screen while listening to the show. I don't recall when that was but it was before Matt Park and obviously after I got my first computer, (Christmas '98).

My reporting about the program on this board began with my bringing up what was said on the show in various threads. Somebody, (Bees, I think), remarked about how dull that show was and that's why he didn't listen to it. Somehow that morphed into my posting regular summaries, probably about the middle of the last decade. If they would podcast the shows the next day, I'd just link it with maybe a 1-2 paragraph summary but for years they've been tardy, (sometimes by weeks) with that and now they've stopped altogether. So i scribble down 7-8 pages of notes for Boeheim's two hour show, (one hour, like Scott Shafer's show would be enough) and then try to edit it down into these posts. I'm looking forward to getting my Thursday nights back after these next two shows.

I was trying to think of that myself. I remember at the beginning you couldn't call in. You had to type your question onto a screen and they would choose which questions to answer. It was more like a webchat. You could just put in comments or have exchanges with other other people about the team on this screen while listening to the show. I don't recall when that was but it was before Matt Park and obviously after I got my first computer, (Christmas '98).

My reporting about the program on this board began with my bringing up what was said on the show in various threads. Somebody, (Bees, I think), remarked about how dull that show was and that's why he didn't listen to it. Somehow that morphed into my posting regular summaries, probably about the middle of the last decade. If they would podcast the shows the next day, I'd just link it with maybe a 1-2 paragraph summary but for years they've been tardy, (sometimes by weeks) with that and now they've stopped altogether. So i scribble down 7-8 pages of notes for Boeheim's two hour show, (one hour, like Scott Shafer's show would be enough) and then try to edit it down into these posts. I'm looking forward to getting my Thursday nights back after these next two shows.

I like the show, he gives good insight on how he thinks, but some of the callers they take are painful to listen to. You would think with the amount of experts we have on this board they would call into coach and give their concerns, but maybe they are scared he will treat them like he treats his players in his pressers! Anyway this is why I enjoy your synopsis, I don't have to listen to some of the callers who clearly have no idea what they are talking about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom