My respect for Gerry McNamara just went up another notch | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

My respect for Gerry McNamara just went up another notch

No disrespect to Gerry but don't forget Red Autry. He has more coaching experience and had more all round ability as a guard. I'm sure he has had a great impact on the team as well.
Gerry's biggest contribution besides working on TC's form is apparently the strong relationship he has developed with him.
I think Red will be the first to go to a head coaching job.
Red works with the forwards, I'm sure he is there to impart his knowledge from time to time but GMAC is full-time with the guards.

I always thought that players with less natural ability, that had to study the game to be good or great, would make the best coaches. Never thought the superstars in sports had to think about the little things to be great. Example: Do you think Tom Brady has ever thought about his arm angle to throw the crossing route or the wheel route out of the backfield? My guess is he just does it. Terrel Hunt on the other hand, is going to have to figure it out and practice it to get it down. My guess is that Hunt would make the better coach down the road because he had thought or been taught things that came naturally to the more talented guys. Gerry is one of those guys that had to figure out the fine points to great college player and later a good coach in my opinion. In fact all the guys on our staff including JAB fit that mould. Just my two cents.

I don't know, Mcnamara seemed to do alright for himself in college. Sure, he didn't make it to the NBA, but I would classify him as closer to a SU superstar, than an also-ran.

I always thought that players with less natural ability, that had to study the game to be good or great, would make the best coaches. Never thought the superstars in sports had to think about the little things to be great. Example: Do you think Tom Brady has ever thought about his arm angle to throw the crossing route or the wheel route out of the backfield? My guess is he just does it. Terrel Hunt on the other hand, is going to have to figure it out and practice it to get it down. My guess is that Hunt would make the better coach down the road because he had thought or been taught things that came naturally to the more talented guys. Gerry is one of those guys that had to figure out the fine points to great college player and later a good coach in my opinion. In fact all the guys on our staff including JAB fit that mold. Just my two cents.
I agree with your general point, but Brady may not be the best example. He wasn't a natural superstar coming out of college (have you seen his pic from the combine). He may have had to work on the very things you mentioned to elevate himself to superstar status.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom