My rocky relationship with Triche | Syracusefan.com

My rocky relationship with Triche

wadegarrett

Walk On
I'd be the first to admit that I've always been very critical of Triche. With all the hype about him every year, I just didn't get it. With that being said, I've never pulled for him so much as I am right now. I feel terrible for the kid. All players hit slumps. Triche has hit his slump at the worst possible time.

I really hope he can pull out of it and get us back on track because, like its been said on this board many times, we go as far as Brandon goes. History has told us that whenever he has a bad few games, he bounces back right before you've given up on him.

He reminds me of a bat- crazy girlfriend I once had. I grew to dislike her to the point I was ready to break it off and then she does something that totally redeems herself. This process would repeat, and repeat, and repeat...

He dropped 29 on Seton Hall and then...I'll leave it there. That inconsistency is maddening.

I said this in an earlier thread. He is not the carry a team type of player. He just isnt. That image has tried to be created on this site by some people but what gave anyone that idea in the first place? He never was in the past 3 seasons. He isnt this year. He also isnt the leader that people want him to be yet they continue to rag on his lack of leadership skills. He just isnt wired that way and that is a fact. He isnt Scoop, he isnt Kris or AO or Andy.

He's an average talent who gets the most out of his abilities. He's not overly athletic, so what's the surprise? He's an ordinary college two guard.

I said this in an earlier thread. He is not the carry a team type of player. He just isnt. That image has tried to be created on this site by some people but what gave anyone that idea in the first place? He never was in the past 3 seasons. He isnt this year. He also isnt the leader that people want him to be yet they continue to rag on his lack of leadership skills. He just isnt wired that way and that is a fact. He isnt Scoop, he isnt Kris or AO or Andy.

People really seized on the Bilas "best player" line in 2011 and wanted to believe it so badly that they haven't let it go for almost three seasons.

Based on nearly a full career, we've got an inconsistent guy who's prone to freshman turnovers and who doesn't shoot very well.

I'll tell you one thing, though - the original poster's right. Triche looked miserable after fouling out tonight. Can't say he doesn't get it. I feel bad for him.

People really seized on the Bilas "best player" line in 2011 and wanted to believe it so badly that they haven't let it go for almost three seasons.

Based on nearly a full career, we've got an inconsistent guy who's prone to freshman turnovers and who doesn't shoot very well.

I'll tell you one thing, though - the original poster's right. Triche looked miserable after fouling out tonight. Can't say he doesn't get it. I feel bad for him.
Bilas has cooled on that in recent games. Bilas doesn't want to look foolish.

The Enigma - Brandon has the physical tools to hang with any player (yes lightning quick ones give him trouble). But for the most part he is never overmatched physically. He will turn a basic shot into a degree of difficulty challenge. He anticipates and overreacts to defenses that are not always there but where they should be. This is a strength but hinders him from just attacking with his physical gifts. Long way of saying he thinks too much out there. Needs to go for it.

Because he's the player Syracusefan.com posters deserve, but not the one that's coming through right now. So, we'll criticize him, because he can take it. Because he's not our go-to player. He's a silent role-player. A stoic average shooter. A Brandon Triche.

The Enigma - Brandon has the physical tools to hang with any player (yes lightning quick ones give him trouble). But for the most part he is never overmatched physically. He will turn a basic shot into a degree of difficulty challenge. He anticipates and overreacts to defenses that are not always there but where they should be. This is a strength but hinders him from just attacking with his physical gifts. Long way of saying he thinks too much out there. Needs to go for it.
Great post.

Bilas has cooled on that in recent games. Bilas doesn't want to look foolish.

Sean tried to get into that tonight. I was really hoping that conversation would develop, but we went to the under-8:00 timeout and they didn't return to the topic.

but theres been times this year where hes played that way. when the arkansas game got close in the 2nd half triche scored 10 points in like 90 seconds to put it away. louisville he was amazing. he took over the nova game in the 2nd half before mcw gave it away. cincy he made huge plays down the stretch to get us back in it. he scored 20+ points in 4 of the first 7 big east games. i really thought he was turning into that carry a team type of player, or at least a consistent player. what the hell has happened the last month? other than seton hall its been nothing but 4-14, 2-9, 3-15, 4-13, 4-10 type of games. if he can get back to being the player he was in dec/jan we can still do some damage.

Agree with everything here.

His biggest weakness is, we all know, his mental toughness (or lack thereof) When he missed that bunny put-back early in the game, i said to myself "thats it for Triche tonight".

Because he's the player Syracusefan.com posters deserve, but not the one that's coming through right now. So, we'll criticize him, because he can take it. Because he's not our go-to player. He's a silent role-player. A stoic average shooter. A Brandon Triche.

He is deep in the line of players that we should be criticizing

Yeah, I hated that ppl pumped him up so much - it's sort of resulted in him getting torn down now that he can't fill the role of team leader/star.

Great kid, great player here, but at the end of the day always was destined, or at least ideally suited, to be a third guard - nice backup for both the PG and SG positions who could, on any given night, go off for 20+.

He reminds me of Tony Romo. He can go off in games like he did against Seton Hall and you know that the scoring is there, but then he can lay an egg like tonight and you get so upset. But then you remember the game he had against Seton Hall and you always have faith in him.

Sean tried to get into that tonight. I was really hoping that conversation would develop, but we went to the under-8:00 timeout and they didn't return to the topic.
Sean was critical and fair in his assessment.

but theres been times this year where hes played that way. when the arkansas game got close in the 2nd half triche scored 10 points in like 90 seconds to put it away. louisville he was amazing. he took over the nova game in the 2nd half before mcw gave it away. cincy he made huge plays down the stretch to get us back in it. he scored 20+ points in 4 of the first 7 big east games. i really thought he was turning into that carry a team type of player, or at least a consistent player. what the hell has happened the last month? other than seton hall its been nothing but 4-14, 2-9, 3-15, 4-13, 4-10 type of games. if he can get back to being the player he was in dec/jan we can still do some damage.

Like I said, there is a pattern to his quality of play. Hopefully the pattern gets in the upswing soon and we can see some performances like you've described.

Yeah, people really went overboard with that comment. That whole season the entire board went bonkers. lol

boeheim has heaped very high praise of him in public also,not just this board and i believed he used the word" great" in it.

Sean was critical and fair in his assessment.

Yeah, but if I remember correctly, that was that. Sean sort of posed the question carefully, Bilas didn't respond, and they went to commercial.

boeheim has heaped very high praise of him in public also,not just this board and i believed he used the word" great" in it.

Yeah, but he's the same guy who said that Paul Harris would be the best freshman in the country in 2007.

He's given to hyperbole.

Yeah, but if I remember correctly, that was that. Sean sort of posed the question carefully, Bilas didn't respond, and they went to commercial.
His question was very telling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom