My run-in with Patrick Ewing | Syracusefan.com

My run-in with Patrick Ewing

OttosBestFriend

2nd String
Just boarded a flight in Atlanta and Patrick Ewing was sitting in first class.

Wearing my brand new Cuse hat, I chanted, "Lets Go Orange" and pointed to the big orange block "S" as I got closer.

He looked up at me and said, "No way man... Your boys lost yesterday and my boys they won... You saw that, right?"

I then told him "I loved you as a pro, but Cuse over the Hoyas any day of the week."

He responded, "Not this year my man... Your orange boys, they going down."

At this point I was just about past him and went back into my "Lets Go Orange" chant as I proceeded to my seat.

Patrick smiled and I got a hi five from a passenger I do not know.

Yes, I heckled a pro athlete on a plane, but it was the Darth Vader of the evil Hoya Empire... It had to be done!

And I swear on everything I love that this entire story is true... No embellishment whatsoever.

I think you're going to get a lot of like for this post - you should have maximized it's potential by posting during peek hours! Right now 80% of the board is at church praying for bad things to happen to the Hoyas.

I'm surprised he was able to arrange so many words together and create a coherent sentence

The chant probably helped him figure out why you were ragging him - if you just pointed to your hat he couldn't have read what team you supported.

he was probably on his way here:

PS_0241_CENTER_KIDS.jpg

I think you're going to get a lot of like for this post - you should have maximized it's potential by posting during peek hours! Right now 80% of the board is at church praying for bad things to happen to the Hoyas.
There are many devoutly spiritual people on this board.

Shoulda asked him what time it was.

Wearing my brand new Cuse hat, I chanted, "Lets Go Orange" and pointed to the big orange block "S" as I got closer.

He looked up at me and said, "No way man... Your boys lost yesterday and my boys they won... You saw that, right?"

I then told him "I loved you as a pro, but Cuse over the Hoyas any day of the week."

At this point I was just about past him and went back into my "Lets Go Orange" chant as I proceeded to my seat.

Yes, I heckled a pro athlete on a plane, but it was the Darth Vader of the evil Hoya Empire... It had to be done!

And I swear on everything I love that this entire story is true... No embellishment whatsoever.

Good thing he didn't stand up.

Wonder what he does to pass time on long flights. We know it isn't reading.

:eek:

Pretty awesome, my JV version this week was running into Charles Oakley at breakfast on Friday.

Sounds like he was a good sport about it - pretty cool.

But I do have to say I'm surprised when you showed him the "S" that he didn't make a comment about you being a Xavier fan.

Pretty awesome, my JV version this week was running into Charles Oakley at breakfast on Friday.
Talking trash about Virginia Union isn't nearly as fun.

In Philly after the game Saturday, VA Orange and I alighted from our cab at 30th Street Station and Clyde Frazier, resplendant in his finest houndstooth suit, was jumping in a cab headed to the WFC to call the Knicks game.

Good thing you didn't have a sign for him to read or he wouldn't have had any idea what you were talking about.

At the big east tourny in Hartford (1982), ewing & jtII were going down an escalator as I was passing them going up.
I said what a pair of fat and ugly- ewing just shook his head, jtII didnt even look, so I said yeah you!

I met Spike Lee at the BET at MSG once...