My starting team this fall | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

My starting team this fall

I can see Broyld being a slot guy and hopefully Hackett will be creative/effective in ways of getting the ball to the playmakers. I'd like to see Stevens be like a Decker was for Minnesota as well. I firmly believe that if this oline can give Nassib time we will have a very very good year.

I can see Broyld being a slot guy and hopefully Hackett will be creative/effective in ways of getting the ball to the playmakers. I'd like to see Stevens be like a Decker was for Minnesota as well. I firmly believe that if this oline can give Nassib time we will have a very very good year.

I really like David Stevens, but it is hard to use his name and Eric Decker's name in the same sentence.

Decker might be, with Fitzgerald of the AZ Cardinals and Johnson of the Detroit Lions, one of the three best WRs I have ever seen play against the Orange.

I really like David Stevens, but it is hard to use his name and Eric Decker's name in the same sentence.

Decker might be, with Fitzgerald of the AZ Cardinals and Johnson of the Detroit Lions, one of the three best WRs I have ever seen play against the Orange.
David Stevens is no Decker flash on the other hand has that look

I'd love to see this Morris kid be like a Collier, only a student as well. I'm thinking the specials defensively will be the best we've had since the good P days and getting better each year as long as SU keeps getting good speed.

I really hope Morris is better than Collier or we are going to have major issues at the RB position moving forward.

And that NC State guy, Torrian Smith? Zoiks.

I'd like to see the fullback be the more situational position. And a 3rd WR be the official starter (and much more of our base).

Who would you rather see on the field, someone of the group of West/Kobena/Hale/Foster/Flemming?

Or someone of the group of Cutler/Burke/Davis.

If Rob Konrad was available, I'd think differently.

I'd like to see the fullback be the more situational position. And a 3rd WR be the official starter (and much more of our base).

Who would you rather see on the field, someone of the group of West/Kobena/Hale/Foster/Flemming?

Or someone of the group of Cutler/Burke/Davis.

If Rob Konrad was available, I'd think differently.
I'd like to see the fullback out of the playbook, at least as our offense has used the position. Our fullbacks haven't been a threat to run and haven't been a threat in the passing game. With an already limited offense we can't use formations and personnel that have us playing 10 on 11.

I'd like to see the fullback out of the playbook, at least as our offense has used the position. Our fullbacks haven't been a threat to run and haven't been a threat in the passing game. With an already limited offense we can't use formations and personnel that have us playing 10 on 11.
AGREED total waste of a position

I agree with you. I do depth charts a couple of times a year, and have been doing this since around 1974. It has been a major struggle to fill out the third team with scholarship players for around 10 years now and has sometimes been hard to fill out the second team as well.

Assuming all or almost the players who are recovering from surgery are ready for the 2012 preseason, we will be back to almost full strength in terms of roster size for the first time in close to a decade. That is encouraging.

Now all we have to do is hope that the quality is good too.

Wanted also to point out that in my depth chart, I do not list Ashton Broyld. This isn't because I think he will be relegated to the end of the bench. I think he will get some playing time. I just don't know where to list him. In the end, I think given our need for big receivers who can get yards after the catch, he is going to mostly play at WR, maybe even line up as a TE at times (that would present some matchup problems for the defense).

He is, I think, a unique player for us. Hopefully he gets unique results as well.

I figured you left out AB because right now he has no assigned position. I too hope he is used out in space, and I like him at TE. Yeah, I hope the injury situation is much improved when August rolls around. I think this team has a chance to have similar success to the 2010 team even though the schedule is very challenging. The defense will be much closer to 2010 production than 2011, and if Nassib stays healthy I expect the offense to be a lot more productive than 2010 when DC3 carried the load.

Kid had a heck of a game against us, didn't he? I'd just like to see Stevens continue his progress and be a nice out for Nassib along the sideline or middle for a first down.

As for the Collier/Morris comment I want a guy that can break it and race into the end zone from 40+ and I thought of Collier as more than capable of doing so.

First, I believe the better the o-line plays the less you'll see of a fullback and second I think the staff is comfortable having that guy block for runs and passes as he can be there to pick up blitzes/good pass rushers or guys that break through.

I think the staff is comfortable having that guy block for runs and passes as he can be there to pick up blitzes/good pass rushers or guys that break through.
Well, I do realize the staff is comfortable having that guy on the field. I just think they're too comfortable with it and wish they were more uncomfortable with the idea. A lot more uncomfortable.

Think about it. Last season our fullbacks accounted for 41 yards of rushing and receiving offense, which averages out to just more than 3 yards a game than a dead man gave us. Think about that in comparison to how much we had them on the field. The fullbacks, not the dead men. If I'm a defense, and I see the Syracuse offense trot out a package with a fullback I'm licking my chops because I don't have to account for that player at all.

Call me crazy, but that's a disadvantage that we couldn't, and didn't, overcome.

Well, I do realize the staff is comfortable having that guy on the field. I just think they're too comfortable with it and wish they were more uncomfortable with the idea. A lot more uncomfortable.

Think about it. Last season our fullbacks accounted for 41 yards of rushing and receiving offense, which averages out to just more than 3 yards a game than a dead man gave us. Think about that in comparison to how much we had them on the field. The fullbacks, not the dead men. If I'm a defense, and I see the Syracuse offense trot out a package with a fullback I'm licking my chops because I don't have to account for that player at all.

Call me crazy, but that's a disadvantage that we couldn't, and didn't, overcome.
One of the reasons that Doug said he needed to get the qb running more was the 11 on 10 issue. I hope that we can get rid of the FB and go with more of a slot situation. During the spring game Flash lined up just off the qb's side maybe this is the look to come

this is like saying Dallas should never have played DJ with Emmit, because he didn't produce stats. if the oline cant block you need a fb or better TE that can.

this is like saying Dallas should never have played DJ with Emmit, because he didn't produce stats. if the oline cant block you need a fb or better TE that can.
Uh, no. What you just said is like comparing Moose to our current fullbacks.

Adam Harris wasn't Moose. Tomba Kose wasn't Rob Konrad. You really don't see the difference here?

Also, those Cowboy olines were awesome. Those teams had a filthy amount of talent on offense.

I just think of it as the FB is used for blocking and the TE is always used for receiving in passing situations. It may be just me but this is a big reason why Marrone/staff recruited so well at the TE position. Again let me repeat this, the better the o-line does in its assignments the more freedom it gives the staff to have that extra receiver.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom