My take (apologies to Tomcat, who I guess was not in Philly)... | Syracusefan.com

My take (apologies to Tomcat, who I guess was not in Philly)...

cto

Administrator
Any out-of-towner who did not arrive in Philly last evening during the blizzard does not deserve to comment on the game. Got there by train at 5:15, then stood in line 90 minutes (NINETY MINUTES!) in a frigging, freezing blizzard waiting for a cab. Standing in two inches of slush, in driving snow and sub-freezing temps, more worried about protecting my iPad than keeping myself dry. It was an ugly start to the weekend.

In retrospect, it seems a perfect prologue to what unveiled today, but hope springs eternal, so I did not realize it at the time. Even though my boots were still soaking wet when I put them on this morning.

But I digress.

I’ve attended a lot of SU road games, probably more than most, but this one ranks right up there with those I would like to forget. Although you can’t spot an opponent 10 points at the start and hope to win, I was optimistic when we finally took the lead at 33-32. But then things started downhill again fast. The officiating was simply horrid. HORRID. We were in the double bonus with like 10 minutes to go in the 2H. They were not in the double bonus until the OT. Some of those calls on Baye and Jerami defied belief. As did some others.

Just as in the Temple game, free throw shooting eventually did us in. Make any one of those near the end of regulation, and we win. ANY ONE OF THEM. If the team shot FTs as well as I did in 7th grade, we’d be undefeated. For the life of me, I cannot understand why we frequently cannot make free throws when it counts. But I am not the one out there trying to make them in pressure situations. And maybe we should just not play teams from Philadelphia.

Bright spots of the weekend: Had a great dinner last night with Orange Buddha and Mrs. Orange Buddha, whom I wish I saw more. And sat in front of Scoop at the game and enjoyed his commentary on it (he was kind regarding the players).

Another bright spot…. The train ride home defied expectations, given that I had to change trains in Stamford. Got off one train, walked 10 feet and got on the next one in two minutes. I had expected to wait an hour.

I would have traded an hour wait for a win… but you can’t have everything, I guess.

Joyce, the refs looked just as bad on TV as they did in person. The 4th foul Burr gave to Grant was clearly CJ. That was a biggie.

If Grant finishes the game or, as you said, we hit just ONE free throw, we are sitting pretty tonight. A golden opportunity lost, IMHO.

Glad to hear (well, not really) that the officiating was as bad as it appeared to me upstairs in section 209. Thought we had this one wrapped up with three minutes left. Frustrating.

Joyce, the refs looked just as bad on TV as they did in person. The 4th foul Burr gave to Grant was clearly CJ. That was a biggie.

If Grant finishes the game or, as you said, we hit just ONE free throw, we are sitting pretty tonight. A golden opportunity lost, IMHO.
Great write up. Very Tomcat like. Except he might have described more about the food and ginger ale from last night. But that's ok.

Pete: I was listening to the game on the radio during that stretch in the 2nd half and the radio guys (Matt Park and his partner) talked about the Grant foul. They couldn't tell if it was on he or CJ but they questioned why CJ didn't raise his hand to try and get the refs to call the foul on him. In retrospect, it was almost like some of the Cuse guys didn't have their heads in the game. How else would you explain all the three point shots down the stretch, the missed free throws, the five quick fouls on BMK. Just not a smart game for our guys.

I still think they should play these games at the Palestra...maybe the best basketball arena ever built. Anyway, good to hear that Scoop was at the game. If he was running PG for SU today we win easily. I love MCW and I'm not down on him just recognize that he is just a soph who didn't play much as a freshman and he has a lot of immaturity and a learning curve to get through. Just as Scoop did. It was fun watching Scoop develop and mature into a leader who made a LOT of big winning plays his last 2 years. Unfortunately, I doubt we get the opportunity to reap the benefits of a maturing MCW as he will undoubtedly leave after this year, even though he's a work in progress.

the weird part on the FTs was after missing the first two we then went on to hit 18 of the next 21, at which point we had a 78% of our FTs.

We then missed our last 3 FTs in regulation. Like you said, hit any one of those and we win.

But it wasn't just those FTs, we missed an awful lot of bunnies around the basket. We basically slept through the first half and we have no one to blame for the loss but ourselves.

Cheers,
Neil

What is Scoop up to, Joyce? I know he did a stint on SNY, and is rehabbing. But is he living in NYC? He seems to have lots of things going on.
I hope we got our Philly losses out of our system, since I guess we will be there in March no matter where we are seeded, as it is the first round local.
You are so correct about the officials. Our guys were getting mauled under the basket and then going to the other end of the floor and getting ticky tacky touch call fouls.
Highlight of the game??? When Burr went down. Too bad he got up!! Not that the other officials were any better.

What is Scoop up to, Joyce? I know he did a stint on SNY, and is rehabbing. But is he living in NYC? He seems to have lots of things going on.
Scoop is living in the NYC area, rehabbing, working part time in an office job, doing some stuff on SNY. He was supposed to play in Italy this winter, but his broken foot was worse than initially thought, so that didn't work out. He would still like to play somewhere, but his foot is still not right, so he is also taking steps to figure out something beyond playing basketball. There are a lot of people who like Scoop a lot who are working with him as he works to determine what is next. Stay tuned.

Scoop is living in the NYC area, rehabbing, working part time in an office job, doing some stuff on SNY. He was supposed to play in Italy this winter, but his broken foot was worse than initially thought, so that didn't work out. He would still like to play somewhere, but his foot is still not right, so he is also taking steps to figure out something beyond playing basketball. There are a lot of people who like Scoop a lot who are working with him as he works to determine what is next. Stay tuned.
Much thanks for the Scoop update!

I'll always root for Scoop. One of my all-time favorites.

No doubt those missed FTs at the end were critical but would also note that Nova did even worse from the line going 18-30. They mauled us on the boards though- 17 offensive rebounds.

Any out-of-towner who did not arrive in Philly last evening during the blizzard does not deserve to comment on the game.

I feel your pain. The Baltimore to Philly drive normally takes about an hour and 45 minutes, and it took my wife and I over 4 hours last night. The sacrifices I make to watch my beloved Orange.

Reactions: cto
I feel your pain. The Baltimore to Philly drive normally takes about an hour and 45 minutes, and it took my wife and I over 4 hours last night. The sacrifices I make to watch my beloved Orange.

That pic AND you live in Baltimore? Frigging perfect. Oh yeah, and a great birthday.

44cuse

If the team shot FTs as well as I did in 7th grade, we’d be undefeated.

That is one fine quote. Love it. And, oh so true. MCW and Triche have to step up their FT shooting.

Great post. I agree wholeheartedly about the officiating, especially on Baye and Grant. There were 2-3 calls where they were simply chasing after loose balls, had a little contact, and BOOM, got called for a hold. It defied belief.

I thought I saw Scoops Dad at the game a few rows behind the SU bench. Didnt see Scoop. Would have loved to have him and/or Dion in our backcourt yesterday. Oh well...time to focus on Pitt and not let this style of play turn into a habit.

No doubt those missed FTs at the end were critical but would also note that Nova did even worse from the line going 18-30. They mauled us on the boards though- 17 offensive rebounds.
Re: all those Nova offensive rebounds, it was definitely a case of them out-hustling the Orange.

I thought I saw Scoops Dad at the game a few rows behind the SU bench. Didnt see Scoop. Would have loved to have him and/or Dion in our backcourt yesterday. Oh well...time to focus on Pitt and not let this style of play turn into a habit.
Scoop was sitting in the 2nd row behind the SU bench. His Dad was sitting somewhere else during the first half, but there was an empty seat at the end of the first row... which he took in the second half. Ushers are usually Gestapo-like in checking tickets behind the team bench. Yesterday, they were oddly non-existant. Don't know whether that is the norm at that arena.

I still think they should play these games at the Palestra...maybe the best basketball arena ever built. Anyway, good to hear that Scoop was at the game. If he was running PG for SU today we win easily. I love MCW and I'm not down on him just recognize that he is just a soph who didn't play much as a freshman and he has a lot of immaturity and a learning curve to get through. Just as Scoop did. It was fun watching Scoop develop and mature into a leader who made a LOT of big winning plays his last 2 years. Unfortunately, I doubt we get the opportunity to reap the benefits of a maturing MCW as he will undoubtedly leave after this year, even though he's a work in progress.
Is there a top ten list of SU
players who were routinely trashed on this board,who we began to appreciate as their college playing days dwindled. I think Scoop is on it

I would have traded an hour wait for a win… but you can’t have everything, I guess.

No Joyce, you can't have everything...where would you put it?

Is there a top ten list of SU
players who were routinely trashed on this board,who we began to appreciate as their college playing days dwindled. I think Scoop is on it
He is number 1 on that list.

He is number 1 on that list.
Definitely. I never expected Scoop to play in the NBA but I definitely thought he'd be able to make money playing somewhere for awhile. Really a shame to hear about his foot and that he's working in an office job (not that there's anything wrong with that...). I hope he knows how many people are rooting for him.

The ACC refs can't be as bad as these Big East clowns. However, we lost because, we were out-hustled and we failed to finish off our drives with points. Also, MCW, misses from the free-through line really hurt at the end of the game.

Any out-of-towner who did not arrive in Philly last evening during the blizzard does not deserve to comment on the game. Got there by train at 5:15, then stood in line 90 minutes (NINETY MINUTES!) in a frigging, freezing blizzard waiting for a cab. Standing in two inches of slush, in driving snow and sub-freezing temps, more worried about protecting my iPad than keeping myself dry. It was an ugly start to the weekend.

In retrospect, it seems a perfect prologue to what unveiled today, but hope springs eternal, so I did not realize it at the time. Even though my boots were still soaking wet when I put them on this morning.

But I digress.

I’ve attended a lot of SU road games, probably more than most, but this one ranks right up there with those I would like to forget. Although you can’t spot an opponent 10 points at the start and hope to win, I was optimistic when we finally took the lead at 33-32. But then things started downhill again fast. The officiating was simply horrid. HORRID. We were in the double bonus with like 10 minutes to go in the 2H. They were not in the double bonus until the OT. Some of those calls on Baye and Jerami defied belief. As did some others.

Just as in the Temple game, free throw shooting eventually did us in. Make any one of those near the end of regulation, and we win. ANY ONE OF THEM. If the team shot FTs as well as I did in 7th grade, we’d be undefeated. For the life of me, I cannot understand why we frequently cannot make free throws when it counts. But I am not the one out there trying to make them in pressure situations. And maybe we should just not play teams from Philadelphia.

Bright spots of the weekend: Had a great dinner last night with Orange Buddha and Mrs. Orange Buddha, whom I wish I saw more. And sat in front of Scoop at the game and enjoyed his commentary on it (he was kind regarding the players).

Another bright spot…. The train ride home defied expectations, given that I had to change trains in Stamford. Got off one train, walked 10 feet and got on the next one in two minutes. I had expected to wait an hour.

Wow I'm surprised at you....a veteran of many upstate NY snowstorms referring to that 2 hour light snowfall as a blizzard, really?

Lots of difference makers in that game Rak's two missed bunnies around the rim; MCW and BT's missed FTs coming down the stretch; Jerami's own goal in the first half; CJ's pass to Arachnaphobia for the lay-in when Brandon fell down on the cut; ridiculous fouls called on our interior players.

I'm beginning to wonder if we shouldn't be hoping for a Philadelphia - Washington path in the NCAA tournament. In addition to having two losses to Philly teams we are 0 - 2 in NBA arenas this season. We'll get a couple of chances at the end of the season to break that hex, but something to think about.

Maybe this would be a good time to ask Scoop to come in and talk to the players about the value of staying and getting a degree, because you never know when you might break your foot (or sumpthin) and realize the basketball checks aren't going to be there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom