My take on Marrone | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

My take on Marrone

Fair enough. It's still a cash grab, though. He got out as quick as he could. Surely he understood that he would need to recruit when he took the job.
It's not a cash grab. I feel like you keep saying that to convince people it was.

What kind of ridiculous statement is that? Should we be satisfied with mediocrity then? Is that the standard?

Pasqualoni deserved to get fired when he did, as the program was heading south. But a good portion of the fan base wasn't satisfied when his worst years were still better than Marrone's best.

This was a great way to leave the Big East, but there's a ton of work left to be done. Marrone was going to have to step up his game to compete in the ACC and I think that's part of why he left.

First of all...no, Pasqualoni's worst years were not better than Marrone's best.

Second, you severely underestimate the difficulty of rebuilding a broken program at the collegiate level with relatively limited resources.

The first couple years we were working with inferior talent remnants of grob era and transfers ,the last 2 years not so much

If he was working with inferior talent, then that's partly on him. I look at a guy like Gary Pinkel and I see a great recruiter who is overmatched in games. I guess you're suggesting Marrone is the opposite.

Speaking of Pinkel, he's used other jobs as leverage for more pay at Mizzou. It sounds like Marrone didn't even give SU that chance.
Even if it was a cash grab, so what? You can't be bitter about that. That's life. Preety clear he wasn't happy at Syracuse and wanted more $$$. Now that our coaching situition is settled, let's keep our recruits and move on. King, we didn't lose Vince Lombardi. Who by the way, went on to coach the Redskins after he "retired" from the Packers.

Even if it was a cash grab, so what? You can't be bitter about that. That's life. Preety clear he wasn't happy at Syracuse and wanted more $$$. Now that our coaching situition is settled, let's keep our recruits and move on. King, we didn't lose Vince Lombardi. Who by the way, went on to coach the Redskins after he "retired" from the Packers.

Totally agree that we didn't lose Lombardi. Like I said, he was average IMO. My issue is more with the way he went about it.

He'll be fired in 3 years. I'll be shocked otherwise. He'll walk away with more bank than he would have after suffering the same fate at SU. Then he'll go back to being an assistant or try his hand as a college coach again.

You didn't address the ridiculous assertion I pointed out that he bailed to the NFL because moving to the ACC would be a harder job.

Fair enough. It's still a cash grab, though. He got out as quick as he could. Surely he understood that he would need to recruit when he took the job.

If it was all about cash he would've stayed in NO and would've gotten an NFL job a year or two ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marrone is an intelligent man. The success he had this year got him notoriety and recognition as a coach that restored a program to respectability. He has respect from his peers and the players obviously cared about him. There is no question that the ACC move might have started out less successfully than this season and he no doubt realized that possibility. It's called striking while the iron is hot...smart move, if the goal was the NFL.

You didn't address the ridiculous assertion I pointed out that he bailed to the NFL because moving to the ACC would be a harder job.

that isnt why he left likeit or not for marrone he wasnt going to get a better chance to leave with nassib,pugh ,sales and lemon leaving he knew it was this yr or he likely would not get the same offers

Yes I did, even though that's not what I said.

Marrone is an intelligent man. The success he had this year got him notoriety and recognition as a coach that restored a program to respectability. He has respect from his peers and the players obviously cared about him. There is no question that the ACC move might have started out less successfully than this season and he no doubt realized that possibility. It's called striking while the iron is hot...smart move, if the goal was the NFL.

That's a nicer way of phrasing my argument.

that isnt why he left likeit or not for marrone he wasnt going to get a better chance to leave with nassib,pugh ,sales and lemon leaving he knew it was this yr or he likely would not get the same offers

I'm fairly well informed on the reasons why he left.

If the Post Standard was any good, I'd expect a lengthy piece dissecting what actually happened that led Marrone to leave. Certain writers have nothing to lose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom