My take on next year's squad | Syracusefan.com

My take on next year's squad

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
First, let's start with the assumptions that Fab and Dion won't be back, which I think is pretty reasonable and most people probably agree.

Then, let's just assume that we don't get Noel. We don't have him yet - maybe we get him, but let's not base our plans for next year on getting a last minute recruit to put us over the top. I mean, when was the last time we signed a guy in the spring signing period ? I can't remember when.

So going by what we have, this is what we're looking at -

CENTER - Baye Keita and Christmas both played pretty well in the tournament and would make a pretty decent center tandem. But with Dujuan Coleman coming in, he's just too big to play the forward spot, so Christmas is likely to move back outside, or at least shift between the 2 positions, like Rick Jackson used to do. Coleman may give us more offense than Fab. He's got soft hands and pretty good footwork. Keita hopefully can put on 20 pounds of muscle by October. Keita is long and intimidating inside. He gave Sullinger a few problems. And he passes fairly well from the high post.

FORWARDS - Our offense is going to come from C.J. Fair and James Southerland. That's a nice pair of bookend forwards. One with a great outside shot, one with a great mid-range game. Both have become more physical players and better rebounders this year. Still, I think that with 3 guys at center, Christmas is likely to get some run here, in part to provide us a legit "POWER forward". Christmas is built like Terrance Roberts. If he can figure out the slides, it will be interesting to see if James comes off the bench as the 6th man next year, with Christmas starting - James providing the instant offense that we got from Dion this year. Having that jolt off the bench demoralizes other teams. Then you have Jerami Grant, who is a smooth and lanky guy. I think he's going to take a year to really get up to the physical level of play, but he's got range on his jumper that C.J. lacks. He blocks shots well and can run the floor. Not physical enough a build to expect him to rebound against Big East level players right away. That will probably take until year 2.

GUARDS - People are ready to say that Carter-Williams will be our leader next year, but I just don't see it. He's a fine player, with a great eye for the pass thru traffic. He dribbles a little high for my taste, though, and I think he's going to be susceptible to turnovers next year. Think about how much we cut down our turnovers this year. That was a huge, invisible key to our success. We used to routinely have games with15-20 turnovers (and still win) because of our running game. This year, with Scoop, we got that down to 10 a game, and had a number of games with only single digit turnovers. We're not likely to see that level of efficiency with the ball next year.

Brandon keeps getting better, but is still not a "leader". He's not vocal enough, and he still gets a bit nervous at times, and still drifts in and out of games. That said, he's kind of like a Derek Jeter kind of player for us - intangibles, makes the right play, good fundamentals, a quiet guy who projects outward calm. He'll have a very solid year for us, but I don't see him as an NBA type of player.

Trevor Cooney I think will be the real deal next year - possibly having a year on par with Andy as a junior as his upside. He got to practice against a tremendous backcourt this year. If he can keep people from getting past him on the drive, I think that he will be next year's surprise player. Yes, I know that everyone knows about him, but I think he will overachieve compared to expectations if he can play good enough defense to stay on the floor.

We have to be concerned about a possible injury at guard next year, since we only have 3 scholarship guards on the team. Will Mookie be back on the team for his senior year as the fourth guard ? Will Boeheim play him if he does come back ? None of our forwards looks like we could count on them to handle the ball and help break a press next season, which is a rarity, when you look back at most SU teams. They usually have that one forward who can bring the ball upcourt against pressure. I don't see either Fair or Southerland as that guy.

All in all, it looks like another Big East contender, with the potential to reach the Sweet 16, which is always kind of our benchmark. If we get Noel, then I think we could go farther. Triche and Southerland will be our only 2 seniors, so 2014 might be even better.

Matt - Why don't you just wait till the big dance next year to comment. It is the only the real thing to look at per you. The Card's are still in the dance go comment on their site. Only one team get to end the dance not crying that is the way it is...

This years team was the best ride in years, I am very proud of them and what they did. I think next years team will be better then this group and really thought at the beginning of the season that this years team and next could go back to back like FL did. But that will not be.

Time to go clean the garage and wait till next year...

i believe last guy we got in the spring signing period was mookie watkins

Matt - Why don't you just wait till the big dance next year to comment. It is the only the real thing to look at per you. The Card's are still in the dance go comment on their site. Only one team get to end the dance not crying that is the way it is...

This years team was the best ride in years, I am very proud of them and what they did. I think next years team will be better then this group and really thought at the beginning of the season that this years team and next could go back to back like FL did. But that will not be.

That was IthacaBarrel's post, not mine.

I think you are off a little on MCW and your projections that turnovers will be higher because of him next year.

MCW: 3.5 ast/to ratio; 267.8 min played; 16 turnovers; 16.7 minutes played between turnovers; 55 assists; 4.9 minutes played between assists
Scoop: 2.1 ast/to ratio; 932.4 min played; 85 turnovers; 10.9 minutes played between turnovers; 181 assists; 5.2 minutes played between assists
Dion: 1.9 ast/to ration; 891.7 min played; 48 turnovers; 18.5 minutes played between turnovers; 93 assists; 9.3 minutes played between assists

Yes, MCW obviously didn't play in the more difficult situations that Scoop and Dion played in, but he didn't exactly give you any indication that he is a turnover machine. He might dribble a little high, but what do you expect out of a 6-5 point guard?

MCW definitely looks to get his teammates involved more than Dion did, and slightly more than Scoop did (at least slightly more successful).

Based on this year, I see no indication that MCW will be a liability at PG next year.

I think you are off a little on MCW and your projections that turnovers will be higher because of him next year.

MCW: 3.5 ast/to ratio; 267.8 min played; 16 turnovers; 16.7 minutes played between turnovers; 55 assists; 4.9 minutes played between assists
Scoop: 2.1 ast/to ratio; 932.4 min played; 85 turnovers; 10.9 minutes played between turnovers; 181 assists; 5.2 minutes played between assists
Dion: 1.9 ast/to ration; 891.7 min played; 48 turnovers; 18.5 minutes played between turnovers; 93 assists; 9.3 minutes played between assists

Yes, MCW obviously didn't play in the more difficult situations that Scoop and Dion played in, but he didn't exactly give you any indication that he is a turnover machine. He might dribble a little high, but what do you expect out of a 6-5 point guard?

MCW definitely looks to get his teammates involved more than Dion did, and slightly more than Scoop did (at least slightly more successful).

Based on this year, I see no indication that MCW will be a liability at PG next year.

To piggyback on this a little bit, Scoop didn't really cut down on his turnovers. His TO% this year was higher than in both 2010 or 2011. In MCW's limited minutes, his assist rate was a shade below scoop (35.7% for Scoop to 34.3%) and his TO rate was considerably lower (24.8 vs 19.3). Now granted, MCW wasn't playing against the toughest competition, and he didn't play a lot of minutes anyway, so the sample size is small, but also throw in the fact that most freshmen struggle with TO and improve in year 2, and i think MCW will have a better TO% than Scoop next year. But 2 of the guys we are losing, Kris and Dion, were very careful with the ball, with TO% around 13%. It's probably hard to project that we'll be 6th in the country in lowest TO% again next year, but CJ, Brandon, and James all took good care of the ball, as did MCW when he played.

Good stuff, Matt. The question is: if Carter-Williams isn't the leader next year, who is?

Great post! I think we have the potential to be even better on defense next year well at least at the guard and forward spots. I think MCW will be great at the top of the zone he very long and has great feet and is a smart kid. Kris Jo was a weaker zone defender than either James or CJ this year. Hopefully both Rak a Keita put on muscle of course Keita needs far more help in this department but 5-10 lbs of muscle would be good for rak too. I really like what I see out of Grant and coming from a basketball family should really help is basketball development both physically and mentally. I hope he forces Rak to stay at the 5. As for DC2 I need to see how he plays when he is in elite physical condition JB is not going to start walking the ball up and I don't see my running with the rest of the guys at this point. But if DC can pound the boards he will get mins. Imagine this team with an elite rebounder!

Brandon keeps getting better, but is still not a "leader". He's not vocal enough, and he still gets a bit nervous at times, and still drifts in and out of games. That said, he's kind of like a Derek Jeter kind of player for us - intangibles, makes the right play, good fundamentals, a quiet guy who projects outward calm. He'll have a very solid year for us, but I don't see him as an NBA type of player.

If Triche can be our Jeter, sign me up.

As far as leadership potential is concerned, I don't believe being vocal is an absolute necessity. I think Triche will surprise us both on and off the court next season. Should be a fun team to watch develop.

If Triche can be our Jeter, sign me up.

As far as leadership potential is concerned, I don't believe being vocal is an absolute necessity. I think Triche will surprise us both on and off the court next season. Should be a fun team to watch develop.

I agree Triche will be a great leader hopefully in an Eli Manning type mold.

Without the orange-colored glasses . . . .
It will take major off-season development for the returning guys to match what we lose: a first team all-league forward (Kris); second team all-league guard who was first team in the BET and likely a first round pick (Dion); a third team guard who was our senior captain and veteran leader (Scoop); and the defensive POY (Fab).
BT had a very good set of games in the regionals -- and presumably gets better as he gets more minutes. How much better? If he played all season as he did in Saturday's second half, no problem -- but he wasn't there every time out.
Neither James nor CJ is strong enough to finish inside -- neither will match what Kris did this past season.
MCW and Cooney are frosh in terms of Big East game experience. MCW is a passer -- is he a scorer? Cooney as third guard compared to BT this year as third guard?
Keita outplayed Rak in Boston -- neither one has shown much offense at this stage. Sure, Rak might move to power forward but he hasn't shown he can put it on the floor or make a short jump shot. Might be real good as a junior --
Maybe the frosh can contribute, but are DC2 and Jerami Grant more ready than MCW and Rak?

Just saying -- we had a very special group this year.

Without the orange-colored glasses . . . .
It will take major off-season development for the returning guys to match what we lose: a first team all-league forward (Kris); second team all-league guard who was first team in the BET and likely a first round pick (Dion); a third team guard who was our senior captain and veteran leader (Scoop); and the defensive POY (Fab).
BT had a very good set of games in the regionals -- and presumably gets better as he gets more minutes. How much better? If he played all season as he did in Saturday's second half, no problem -- but he wasn't there every time out.
Neither James nor CJ is strong enough to finish inside -- neither will match what Kris did this past season.
MCW and Cooney are frosh in terms of Big East game experience. MCW is a passer -- is he a scorer? Cooney as third guard compared to BT this year as third guard?
Keita outplayed Rak in Boston -- neither one has shown much offense at this stage. Sure, Rak might move to power forward but he hasn't shown he can put it on the floor or make a short jump shot. Might be real good as a junior --
Maybe the frosh can contribute, but are DC2 and Jerami Grant more ready than MCW and Rak?

Just saying -- we had a very special group this year.

I agree! I think next years team will play more like the 2010 team than this years team. I don't think they will be 30-5 like that team was but that team had a lot of catch a shoot players as will next years team. Kris Scoop and Dion were all better off the bounce than catch and shoot. Cooney, James and Triche and better catch and shoot player than off the bounce. MCW will be the key to how good next years team will be if he has a great sophomore year than we will he great if not we will be damn good!

Great time to be a SU fan!

Going further, I believe MCW will be a stud next year, one of the elite guards in the BE. He and Brandon will compliment each other very well. Trevor will be a nice alternative. They can all shoot 3's- we'll be a much better team from deep next year (plus James should have the confidence all season). I won't say that MCW will make us forget Dion and Scoop but he's going to be right there.

I think there are some questions to be answered. On offense, there will be several changes that need to be incorporated. It will need to change from driving driven to setting up open jumpers. Less iso's but better shooting and maybe the return of the post game. I am not sure if it will be back yet with a frosh DC2.

On defense there will be changes needed as well. Obviously without Fab the middle will be less intimidating. How will DC2 be able to do, the performance of the last few frosh make big expectations hard to do. I think MCW will be an excellent defender (I think Luke Winn's analysis was flawed in MCWs case because he penalized for fouls and MCW was purposefully fouling on occasion) and I like BT. As for the forwards I think there will be an improvement there as well (although KJo came out well according to Luke but I think it must have tapered off - because my eyes were telling me KJo didn't excel at the zone). But that presence in the middle will be missed.

The D this year was at a different level with Fab. It was a little weird having SU be an elite defensive team this year. That is why I have a hard time thinking if NN comes he wouldn't go right in that vacant middle - and DC2 and Rak would fight for the right to be PF and/or backup center.

It's hard to project leadership. Remember the concerns over leadership before Andy and Arinze's senior year? Once some other, um, varieties of leaders were no longer on the team, those guys did pretty well.

I think next years leaders will be MCW and Triche and Southerland as seniors, MCW will be vocal like andy and Triche and Southerland will be like Wes and AO just go out and work and play hard.

Good stuff, Matt. The question is: if Carter-Williams isn't the leader next year, who is?

You know, Otto, as I look back at the line-up, you might be right.

Well according to our HofF coach it's all that matters as well

I agree! I think next years team will play more like the 2010 team than this years team. I don't think they will be 30-5 like that team was but that team had a lot of catch a shoot players as will next years team. Kris Scoop and Dion were all better off the bounce than catch and shoot. Cooney, James and Triche and better catch and shoot player than off the bounce. MCW will be the key to how good next years team will be if he has a great sophomore year than we will he great if not we will be damn good!

Great time to be a SU fan!

I think Kris faded badly over the last month or so of the season, not just in the tournaments. I think his 1st team selection was based more on the success of the team and history/past success. He was a shadow of himself at the end of this year. I don't think we'll miss him that much, although I really liked his attitude and demeanor. I agree that the ability to get to the rim will be a challenge for next year's guards. Triche tends to charge, MCW is a bit thin, but he was a pretty good scorer in HS and on the AAU circuit. I think he's going to be better than people expect.

You know, Otto, as I look back at the line-up, you might be right.

I sure hope he is; the leader doesn't necessarily need to be a vocal guy, but Carter-Williams seems to best fit the bill.

I think Kris faded badly over the last month or so of the season, not just in the tournaments. I think his 1st team selection was based more on the success of the team and history/past success. He was a shadow of himself at the end of this year. I don't think we'll miss him that much, although I really liked his attitude and demeanor. I agree that the ability to get to the rim will be a challenge for next year's guards. Triche tends to charge, MCW is a bit thin, but he was a pretty good scorer in HS and on the AAU circuit. I think he's going to be better than people expect.
While I agree Kris' selection as first team all-league was based in part on team success, the fact is he led a 17-1 team in scoring and he will be missed. James is primarily a shooter -- can't put the ball on the floor and slash, although you have to give him credit for improving each year. CJ is at his best when he is 8-10 ft away from the basket -- maybe he develops a better 3 pt shot, but he can't match Kris at this stage.
The real point about our forwards is that even our 3rd best forward this year (James) was an experienced reserve. Who will that sub be next year? Rak hasn't shown much on offense except near the basket; Jerami Grant may not be ready.
Young guards like MCW and Cooney will be fine eventually, but rookie guards struggle against Big East veterans. We had the pleasure of watching Scoop & Dion close out games this year, not letting a single one get away when SU had a lead with 8 minutes to go. We'll see -- there is a lot of talent in these two, and what I am saying is that we had 3 physically mature, experienced guards this year -- next year we have one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom