My Take | Syracusefan.com

My Take

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
In past years, I have made the MetLife football games a combo vacation and included a visit to Bethpage as part of the road trip (the Black course remains my favorite course ever, and the course I hate the most too but that is a topic for another day).

Anyway, now that I am married man (first year anniversary is tomorrow), things are different and this year, I went with them wife and we are spending some time in NYC exploring various cultural and economic landmarks in the area. Don't want to digress but Blue Man Group was a very good time. Though it would have been better if it were Orange Man Group.

I found that an interesting eatery was located not far from where I am staying, so I found myself sitting down in a very interesting place called Rutt's on Friday afternoon to try a ripper with the special relish. I love to check out old school mom and pop places like this when I travel to get some insight into what makes the area I am visiting special. This place has been around a long time, looks like no one has thought about a renovation in 50 years and appeared to be filled with working class locals, though I saw a couple of businessmen in suits in there as well. Waitresses with attitude, deep fried hot dogs, food is packaged in plain brown paper bags. The decor inside looks like it was put together over the course of 60 years of business. What is not to like about that? The dog wasn't a Hoffman but it was surprisingly good and my party enjoyed them.

Also enjoyed a small tailgate at MetLife before the game with the old school folks from the Syracuse fan.com board. We talked a lot about the future of the football program, what is going on with SU hoops, the renovation project with the Dome, etc. And we speculated at length over what we might see later in the day at MetLife. Good times, special props to Nell, Jeremy and Mike and everyone else involved whose names I missed. Great food and great people = great times.

Headed inside the stadium about an hour before the kickoff. Engaged in some trash talk with some Irish fans seated near us in the 210 Syracuse section. This went on before and during the game. Good times. I like good natured trash talk and props to the Irish fans we were with for doing it well and not getting crazy. This is one of the great benefits of scheduling good, long established programs.

One of my biggest takeaways was how small the crowd was. It is hard to make good estimates at a place I rarely go to events at but I would say at best it was half full. My guess is that ND fans outnumbered SU fans by around a 2 to 1 ratio. Though we were louder and drunk more and were definitely more obnoxious. My bad (in some ways).

They would have been able to fill the place had they priced their tickets more in line with the market. Hard to justify spending $130 for a pretty bad seat on the second level between the 10 and 20 yard line. Especially when you couple it with a $30 parking fee and crazy prices for the food and drink sold (thanks to the Syracuse fan.com tailgate, this was not a problem). Anyway, I am really glad we are not going to do this again anytime soon. I am not against neutral site games though and would support playing here again, just as long as the game doesn't count as a home game for us. All of the Gross ones did. We have to schedule more intelligently now that we are financially solid. Getting to bowl games consistently is really important if we want to crack the top 25 again anytime soon.

I thought ND was bigger, stronger and faster than we were. Not just on the OL and DL. Everywhere. Their DBs looked bigger and stronger than our WRs. Their RBs looked bigger and stronger than our LBs, etc. This is the 3rd time I have thought this in 5 games this year. Not cool.

That makes it tough to beat them. Kizer has a strong and accurate arm on deep throws, and was well suited to make the type of tough throws needed to beat the Tampa 2 defense. We would have been much better suited to stopping Malik Zaire. Oh well. Anyway, props to Kizer for making a bunch of great throws. Watch...you will often see a linebacker in line for a pick, but Kizer put the ball in just the right spot in the seam of the zone a lot. He misses some throws too but I suspect he is headed for play on Sundays down the road. They have some big WRs who can really run too. Kelly is no slouch on the offensive end and when he got man coverage, he went deep and was successful a lot on it.

Very tough to see this defense beaten for long TDs so often. DBs run into each other, blow assignments, but more than anything, they are small and can't run as fast as the guys ND has out there. Even Winfield was beaten badly deep.

A lot of this changes with a consistent pass rush but we don't have that either. I think the DBs and LBs actually played fairly well today in pass coverage but the DL just couldn't get much pressure on Kizer and given 10 seconds or more to throw, even the best pass coverage is going to spring leaks and give up big plays. We have people like Marquez Hodge or true frosh out there trying to beat huge, really agile OTs for ND. It shouldn't be a surprise this was going to happen and it will definitely happen more this season, at least against teams with good talent at QB, OL and WR. The good news is that I think the young kids who are playing now, while not ready to be good players today, have the raw talent to become good players at this level in a year or two.

This applies across the board. This OL is incredibly young. The WR corp is really young. Our QBs are really young. The secondary and even the linebackers are young. As they gain experience and get their bodies filled out and ready to play at this level, I think they will improve. This is a huge key for this program. Some players don't have high ceilings and never improve. They just get older. To my eye, these kids have high upsides and will get better. Heck, I can see progress already this year for a bunch of the youngsters.

Offense

It has been a strange year. At times, this unit looks terrific and almost unstoppable. It is capable of playing dominant ball for a quarter. But it is also capable of shutting down and being miserable for 15 or 30 minutes. Part of it is adjustments defenses make and our struggles to make adjustments to their changes. Coach Babers talks about the offense needing to be like a reed and bend as needed to be successful. When he talks about it talking 1. 5 seasons or so to get the offense really going, perhaps this is a big part of what he is referring to.

Barring an injury, Amba is going to break very single season receiving record in the books for SU. I don't think anyone saw this coming; even the coaching staff. Amazing how well he is playing week in and week out. I have seen Monk, Harrison, Johnson, Williams, etc. play for the Orange and to be sure, if the offenses those guys played on were like this one, they would have had crazy numbers too. But still, this is an amazing step up for Amba and I am enjoying watching him play greatly. Philips, Ishmael and Estime are also having fine years and will surely break all their personal records. It is fun to watch a scheme that gets players open fairly consistently, even against good defenses.

I feel like I am too hard on Dungey each week, saying I think he is only playing okay when he continues to pile up amazing numbers and rank as one of the best QBs in college football. So yes, he might have gotten happy feet and ran out of the pocket early a few times. Yes, he missed a few throws. And he might have been a bad read on a few RPO plays. But he made some great throws too, throws the long ball well and his athletic ability really helps this offense keep the chains moving when plays break down. Overall, he is doing a great job.

This offense could really use at least one more WR to step up and make a contribution. AC II has made his usual strong start and then disappeared. Don't think he is strong enough or fast enough to get separation at this level. Riley is getting some snaps and having some success inside but I think he is too small right now to be a workhorse, though he will help some. Custis continues to stand on the sideline, without pads and I fear this will be a lost year for him.

If someone is going to emerge, it is Devin Butler. The kid has size and speed; all the tools needed to be successful. And he is getting a lot of snaps now. Don't be surprised if he gets 5 catches for 100 yards in a game or two down the road. I like what I see from him.

Conway and Emerich sat out the game again. Lasker and McGloster are okay but when we have breakdowns in pass blocking, they seem to be the culprits most often. We still can't run the ball inside. The OL isn't opening holes and the RB isn't making good reads or breaking tackles. I suspect this will be a problem for the rest of the season.

Defense

Franklin and Bennett are playing much better now, as is our DL and that is a big reason why the run defense is significantly better these days. Still needs to improve but it is good to see the DL getting some penetration and the LBs chasing down RBs like they need to. Ellison has been a help in run support at safety. That kid has good instincts and hits like a truck. Williams is also impressing me. Probably our best athlete at safety. I think he was the guy who was covering some big WR for ND, who blatantly pushed off on him and made the catch. No call. Sigh.

Winfield continues to quietly have a strong season. Fast, good instincts, if we stop a play going wide, it was probably Corey that made the play. Yes, he got burned deep in man but the body of work is really good. Hudson got burned deep a couple of times but at least once he saw it happening and interfered to save a TD. Not sure he has the speed to play CB at this level but he is the best we have and I will credit him for making some good plays in run support. He is getting better.

I thought Slayton had a decent game but he isn't getting a rush at DE. We really need that from him. I thought Clark had a fine game, made some nice plays in the backfield. The DTs played well overall. We are getting killed at the DE position playing three true frosh a lot but it will play off in the long run.

Special Teams

Everyone is going to go after Cole Murphy but watching him today, it was clear he is playing hurt and I think you have to take that into account when judging his play. It is unfortunate but I can't rip a kid for playing hurt and struggling. I hope he gets well soon, it would be a shame if he has to play hurt the rest of the year.

Sterling has been struggling mightily all season. The staff tried something new this week with a side wards snap and Sterling punting off a running start. And with one exception, it would out really well. Props to the staff and to Sterling...I am sure they worked really hard to make the change and get the problems fixed.

Brisly is awesome returning punts. Never let anyone else touch one until he graduates. Would like to see him returning KOs too. Riley is struggling big time at this.

The SUMB was down to 4 tubas but still put on a fine performance. They have more bass drums than tubas. Unusual. But they are making it work. Very courageous.

574356_1.jpg

Meghan Sinisi

One of the highlights of the day was the performance of Orange Girl. Meghan Sinisi has been doing this for 4 years now and is the best I can remember. She can do it all...she can throw it, catch it, juggle batons, spin them on her shoulders and even make a catch while doing a spilt. If I had a vote, she would be an All-American.

Gotta win against Wake. Let's find a way to keep this season interesting, shall we? It would be a great achievement to get to a bowl during a year like this one.

War Damn Otto!

Thanks for the rational thoughts tomcat.

We are a developmental program playing many freshman and sophomores on our 2 deep. They aren't bad players. They just should not be asked to contribute until they are redshirt sophomores or juinors.

I think it was bcubs who mentioned we would have lost by 20 more pts today if this game was played 2 weeks ago and I agree. I see improvement in the defense. It's a huge uphill climb this year to get to 6 wins but the team has a system, is improving, and does not quit. We would be wise to do the same as fans.

Reactions:
  • Special Teams - Far too lenient on Murphy. He's playing. He stunk. Coverage teams stunk. "Pride of the Orange" used to be special teams and other than Brisly Estime, it was an F.
  • Defense - You thought the LBs were good? Didn't see that at all. And Winfield did little. The back four are like keystone cops.
  • Offense. Maddening play calling, especially in second half. Trying to pass over the middle hear the line of scrimmage was beyond fruitless but they kept trying. And we flat-out cannot run the ball. It's not a secret.
If this game was played two weeks ago, it would have been no difference. Notre Dame is clueless and undisciplined; they dropped balls galore and didn't make a ton of plays on D versus Syracuse drops, mental error, etc. But they were the superior talented team and had better uniforms (gratuitous Under Armour plug.) but the program needs to vest in Babers' approach and that will take time. I just hope the time will be invested from DC Ward and the Special Teams as well as those units were terrible.

I thought Hofrichter was performing well until they ahd him doing the rugby thing today.

Who is AC II?

I thought Hofrichter was performing well until they ahd him doing the rugby thing today.

Who is AC II?

Alvin Cornelius. I'm still a big fan.:(

In past years, I have made the MetLife football games a combo vacation and included a visit to Bethpage as part of the road trip (the Black course remains my favorite course ever, and the course I hate the most too but that is a topic for another day).

Anyway, now that I am married man (first year anniversary is tomorrow), things are different and this year, I went with them wife and we are spending some time in NYC exploring various cultural and economic landmarks in the area. Don't want to digress but Blue Man Group was a very good time. Though it would have been better if it were Orange Man Group.

I found that an interesting eatery was located not far from where I am staying, so I found myself sitting down in a very interesting place called Rutt's on Friday afternoon to try a ripper with the special relish. I love to check out old school mom and pop places like this when I travel to get some insight into what makes the area I am visiting special. This place has been around a long time, looks like no one has thought about a renovation in 50 years and appeared to be filled with working class locals, though I saw a couple of businessmen in suits in there as well. Waitresses with attitude, deep fried hot dogs, food is packaged in plain brown paper bags. The decor inside looks like it was put together over the course of 60 years of business. What is not to like about that? The dog wasn't a Hoffman but it was surprisingly good and my party enjoyed them.

Also enjoyed a small tailgate at MetLife before the game with the old school folks from the Syracuse fan.com board. We talked a lot about the future of the football program, what is going on with SU hoops, the renovation project with the Dome, etc. And we speculated at length over what we might see later in the day at MetLife. Good times, special props to Nell, Jeremy and Mike and everyone else involved whose names I missed. Great food and great people = great times.

Headed inside the stadium about an hour before the kickoff. Engaged in some trash talk with some Irish fans seated near us in the 210 Syracuse section. This went on before and during the game. Good times. I like good natured trash talk and props to the Irish fans we were with for doing it well and not getting crazy. This is one of the great benefits of scheduling good, long established programs.

One of my biggest takeaways was how small the crowd was. It is hard to make good estimates at a place I rarely go to events at but I would say at best it was half full. My guess is that ND fans outnumbered SU fans by around a 2 to 1 ratio. Though we were louder and drunk more and were definitely more obnoxious. My bad (in some ways).

They would have been able to fill the place had they priced their tickets more in line with the market. Hard to justify spending $130 for a pretty bad seat on the second level between the 10 and 20 yard line. Especially when you couple it with a $30 parking fee and crazy prices for the food and drink sold (thanks to the Syracuse fan.com tailgate, this was not a problem). Anyway, I am really glad we are not going to do this again anytime soon. I am not against neutral site games though and would support playing here again, just as long as the game doesn't count as a home game for us. All of the Gross ones did. We have to schedule more intelligently now that we are financially solid. Getting to bowl games consistently is really important if we want to crack the top 25 again anytime soon.

I thought ND was bigger, stronger and faster than we were. Not just on the OL and DL. Everywhere. Their DBs looked bigger and stronger than our WRs. Their RBs looked bigger and stronger than our LBs, etc. This is the 3rd time I have thought this in 5 games this year. Not cool.

That makes it tough to beat them. Kizer has a strong and accurate arm on deep throws, and was well suited to make the type of tough throws needed to beat the Tampa 2 defense. We would have been much better suited to stopping Malik Zaire. Oh well. Anyway, props to Kizer for making a bunch of great throws. Watch...you will often see a linebacker in line for a pick, but Kizer put the ball in just the right spot in the seam of the zone a lot. He misses some throws too but I suspect he is headed for play on Sundays down the road. They have some big WRs who can really run too. Kelly is no slouch on the offensive end and when he got man coverage, he went deep and was successful a lot on it.

Very tough to see this defense beaten for long TDs so often. DBs run into each other, blow assignments, but more than anything, they are small and can't run as fast as the guys ND has out there. Even Winfield was beaten badly deep.

A lot of this changes with a consistent pass rush but we don't have that either. I think the DBs and LBs actually played fairly well today in pass coverage but the DL just couldn't get much pressure on Kizer and given 10 seconds or more to throw, even the best pass coverage is going to spring leaks and give up big plays. We have people like Marquez Hodge or true frosh out there trying to beat huge, really agile OTs for ND. It shouldn't be a surprise this was going to happen and it will definitely happen more this season, at least against teams with good talent at QB, OL and WR. The good news is that I think the young kids who are playing now, while not ready to be good players today, have the raw talent to become good players at this level in a year or two.

This applies across the board. This OL is incredibly young. The WR corp is really young. Our QBs are really young. The secondary and even the linebackers are young. As they gain experience and get their bodies filled out and ready to play at this level, I think they will improve. This is a huge key for this program. Some players don't have high ceilings and never improve. They just get older. To my eye, these kids have high upsides and will get better. Heck, I can see progress already this year for a bunch of the youngsters.

Offense

It has been a strange year. At times, this unit looks terrific and almost unstoppable. It is capable of playing dominant ball for a quarter. But it is also capable of shutting down and being miserable for 15 or 30 minutes. Part of it is adjustments defenses make and our struggles to make adjustments to their changes. Coach Babers talks about the offense needing to be like a reed and bend as needed to be successful. When he talks about it talking 1. 5 seasons or so to get the offense really going, perhaps this is a big part of what he is referring to.

Barring an injury, Amba is going to break very single season receiving record in the books for SU. I don't think anyone saw this coming; even the coaching staff. Amazing how well he is playing week in and week out. I have seen Monk, Harrison, Johnson, Williams, etc. play for the Orange and to be sure, if the offenses those guys played on were like this one, they would have had crazy numbers too. But still, this is an amazing step up for Amba and I am enjoying watching him play greatly. Philips, Ishmael and Estime are also having fine years and will surely break all their personal records. It is fun to watch a scheme that gets players open fairly consistently, even against good defenses.

I feel like I am too hard on Dungey each week, saying I think he is only playing okay when he continues to pile up amazing numbers and rank as one of the best QBs in college football. So yes, he might have gotten happy feet and ran out of the pocket early a few times. Yes, he missed a few throws. And he might have been a bad read on a few RPO plays. But he made some great throws too, throws the long ball well and his athletic ability really helps this offense keep the chains moving when plays break down. Overall, he is doing a great job.

This offense could really use at least one more WR to step up and make a contribution. AC II has made his usual strong start and then disappeared. Don't think he is strong enough or fast enough to get separation at this level. Riley is getting some snaps and having some success inside but I think he is too small right now to be a workhorse, though he will help some. Custis continues to stand on the sideline, without pads and I fear this will be a lost year for him.

If someone is going to emerge, it is Devin Butler. The kid has size and speed; all the tools needed to be successful. And he is getting a lot of snaps now. Don't be surprised if he gets 5 catches for 100 yards in a game or two down the road. I like what I see from him.

Conway and Emerich sat out the game again. Lasker and McGloster are okay but when we have breakdowns in pass blocking, they seem to be the culprits most often. We still can't run the ball inside. The OL isn't opening holes and the RB isn't making good reads or breaking tackles. I suspect this will be a problem for the rest of the season.

Defense

Franklin and Bennett are playing much better now, as is our DL and that is a big reason why the run defense is significantly better these days. Still needs to improve but it is good to see the DL getting some penetration and the LBs chasing down RBs like they need to. Ellison has been a help in run support at safety. That kid has good instincts and hits like a truck. Williams is also impressing me. Probably our best athlete at safety. I think he was the guy who was covering some big WR for ND, who blatantly pushed off on him and made the catch. No call. Sigh.

Winfield continues to quietly have a strong season. Fast, good instincts, if we stop a play going wide, it was probably Corey that made the play. Yes, he got burned deep in man but the body of work is really good. Hudson got burned deep a couple of times but at least once he saw it happening and interfered to save a TD. Not sure he has the speed to play CB at this level but he is the best we have and I will credit him for making some good plays in run support. He is getting better.

I thought Slayton had a decent game but he isn't getting a rush at DE. We really need that from him. I thought Clark had a fine game, made some nice plays in the backfield. The DTs played well overall. We are getting killed at the DE position playing three true frosh a lot but it will play off in the long run.

Special Teams

Everyone is going to go after Cole Murphy but watching him today, it was clear he is playing hurt and I think you have to take that into account when judging his play. It is unfortunate but I can't rip a kid for playing hurt and struggling. I hope he gets well soon, it would be a shame if he has to play hurt the rest of the year.

Sterling has been struggling mightily all season. The staff tried something new this week with a side wards snap and Sterling punting off a running start. And with one exception, it would out really well. Props to the staff and to Sterling...I am sure they worked really hard to make the change and get the problems fixed.

Brisly is awesome returning punts. Never let anyone else touch one until he graduates. Would like to see him returning KOs too. Riley is struggling big time at this.

The SUMB was down to 4 tubas but still put on a fine performance. They have more bass drums than tubas. Unusual. But they are making it work. Very courageous.

574356_1.jpg

Meghan Sinisi

One of the highlights of the day was the performance of Orange Girl. Meghan Sinisi has been doing this for 4 years now and is the best I can remember. She can do it all...she can throw it, catch it, juggle batons, spin them on her shoulders and even make a catch while doing a spilt. If I had a vote, she would be an All-American.

Gotta win against Wake. Let's find a way to keep this season interesting, shall we? It would be a great achievement to get to a bowl during a year like this one.

War Damn Otto!

cole is hurt? where did this come from?

would make a murky picture much clearer for me.

i hate to admit it - but i was thinking after his shank, the last time we saw someone just fall off the face of the earth like this was Rob Long... and Mr. Long had a very valid reason for his sudden out of nowhere athletic fall. --- does that make me a bad person to even think that? i hope not.

Alvin Cornelius. I'm still a big fan.:(

You mean Alvin Cornelius III? (per the Media Guide).

Also, he has no catches this year- how did he "have his usual strong start"?

I think he meant his usual strong spring and/or strong start in preseason camp.

Then poof, he's gone.

Agree with Tom that Butler is one to watch. He stood out in preseason practice videos.

One thing Tom has incorrect. Not all the NYC games were home game transplants. Penn State was neutral.

I think he meant his usual strong spring and/or strong start in preseason camp.

Then poof, he's gone.

Agree with Tom that Butler is one to watch. He stood out in preseason practice videos.

One thing Tom has incorrect. Not all the NYC games were home game transplants. Penn State was neutral.

Thanks for the response, Chip. No dis to you swc.

There's a key analysis missing here. We're 0-5 on the coin toss this year.

How do we address this? Free up a scholarship and have someone train at Faegan's on Wednesday nights? Regular team outing to Turning Stone? This must be addressed.

odds of getting five consecutive coin tosses wrong 3.1%

odds of getting six consecutive coin tosses wrong 1.5%

If you bother to read the summaries of what happens in spring ball and preseason camp, you would know what I am talking about. He is in the rotation and gets a lot of touches. Except once the season starts...

If you bother to read the summaries of what happens in spring ball and preseason camp, you would know what I am talking about. He is in the rotation and gets a lot of touches. Except once the season starts...

I'll have to read them better. (I thought Dino closed those practices anyway?) To me a strong start means he played well in the early games. I don't see practices as the 'start'. They are preparations for the games.

Thanks again for you excellent summaries. I definitely read them.

Regarding Dungey, I only saw one throw that was a really bad miss and I counted about six drops. Kid playing really well.

Agree with most of the rest of your fine post.

Special teams killed us in the first half, a missed chippie FG and a 3 point turn-around on the PAT. We could have been ahead at the half. Who knows what then might have happened ??

Bottom line, our O should get us a few W's. On the D side of the ball, we either lack speed or size or both pretty much across the board position by position. However, after the horrid first quarter, I though the D really put in the effort and played as well as the personnel mis-matches permitted.

IMHO, we are at least two recruiting classes away, and that is making the huge assumption that we can recruit well enough to close the talent gap, which is a BIG IF.

blue man group was very good saw them in nyc few years ago. very different and creative

Random ND thought, and I'll park it here instead of starting a new thread.

Has anyone noticed that the teams that beat ND immediately fell apart?

Texas, loses to Cal and Oklahoma State. AD is saying he'll look at all aspects of the program.

Michigan State, loses badly at home to a good Wisconsin team, and then loses at Indiana.

Duke, loses at home by 2 TDs to a team that couldn't beat UConn on the road.

Maybe LOSING to ND will be a new secret formula. Or ND is really bad and life is just going to get a lot worse in South Bend before it gets better. @NC State this week should be telling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom