My Take | Syracusefan.com

My Take

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
A guy on the track team from Desoto, Texas sang the NA. Did a wonderful job.

Crowd was far bigger than the exhibition games. The students in particular had a good turnout for an early game. But the actual attendance was far, far less than the announced number of 23k. They were quiet too, but hey, it is hard to get really excited watching a brutal gang-land style execution.

The Colgate players said they thought they could win this game and perhaps they really believed it. Watching them warm up before the game, a surprising number of Red Raiders dunked from the layup line. But they did so with difficulty. It reminded me of watching a middle aged person struggle to get out of a comfortable chair. Not good.

Mr Excitement got the new season off to a good start, introducing Tyler Lydon as Tyler Roberson. He then introduced TRob also as Tyler Roberson. Still using 'a deuce for the Cuse regularly. Solid.

Colgate tried to play man to man. Early in the game, #14 was assigned to Tyler Roberson and played some of the most spectacularly bad defense these eyes have seen. Credit to TRob for getting open in good places near the basket. And credit to our point guards for finding him consistently when he was open. Colgate didn't face guard or show any ability to pressure the ball but still, we are seeing some impressive passing, both in the half court game and in transition.

Not sold on the starting lineup just yet. Looks like there are some chemistry issues there. The defense has been bad and the offense ugly. This might change but right now it looks like these guys aren't used to playing with each other and don't know their roles. I would guess the plus/minus for this lineup is not good at all. That should get better over time...

Frankie Howard was terrific. Really efficient on offense. Made great decisions, passed it great again, no evidence of the forced passes to tight quarters or unforced ball handling turnovers that have plagued him early in his career. Was good getting in the lane and when Colgate chose to leave him unguarded on the perimeter, he made them pay by hitting 3s. Was really unselfish, passed up a lot of shots to get the ball to a teammate instead. I think he is a classic 'pass first' PG. And his defense was very good. Thought this was his best game as an Orangeman by far.

I like the contrast between our PGs. While FH is a pass first guy, JG is instant offense when he comes in. It is weird because he isn't going to take a ton of 3s at this level. Not with his slow release, short stature and set shot release. But give him the slightest crack to drive into and the next thing you know, he is under a side of the basket, throwing up a crazy shot at a wild angle that will somehow go in. He is very quick, explosive and really adept at using his body to get off a shot. He is going to draw his share of fouls too, which is nice since he is a great FT shooter. Anyway, I see JG as a natural scorer but also a fine passer who appears to be really good at feeding the low post.
For the first time, JB used the two PGs in the lineup together.eemed to work pretty well.

TL again struggled on offense. Against these scrub teams he has someone in his face when he is on the perimeter and he gets doubled when he goes into the paint. He is doing a pretty good job feeling the double team and psssing out of it; that is how he is getting most of his assists. But I wish he would post up aggressively when he has a small guy on him. He has tried this a few times but not enough. Had one spectacular sequence where he was out of position behind a Colgate player but still blocked two shots and altered a third in a span of 5 seconds or so...

DC3 had foul trouble again. He is getting called for an alarming number of fouls away from the ball, mostly I think for setting illegal picks. This needs to improve. On the positive side, he looks more comfortable with the ball in his hands and is showing a new ability to hit mid range jump shots. And he rebounded the balll well, as usual.

PC got a chance to play when SU was not pressing (though they did press most of the time he was in and even for a bit when he was out). He had a couple of nice blocks and was better protecting the basket. Rebounded well, looks like he had a pretty good set of hands there. Really do not like hoe he looks when he gets the ball down low. Looks afraid to stand up, look at the basket and make a move. On the positive side, he was able to finish a couple of times. Unfortunately, he does not look like a good FT shooter at all.

AW3 had a solid game. Shot it well again but showed more of his game last night. Got a steal and drove aggressively for a score. Drove a couple of times to the basket in half court settings when he was tightly guarded. And for the first time, rebounded the ball pretty well. Didn't run numbers but I am sure he again played a little more at forward than at guard.

TB didn't shoot it well, didn't penetrate well and generally looked like a frosh for the first time. Still played good defense and had a sick steal utilizing his great speed. He is going to draw a lot of fouls and good news, he looks like a good FT shooter!

TT had another impressive game. I like what happens when he gets the ball down low. He may or may not show it this season but he can shoot the mid range jumper too. Is an excellent rebounder and has been surprisingly good playing on the baseline in the 2-3. And does a really nice job pressuring the inbounder when we press. He is one cool cat.

My favorite player on Colgate was a guy named Dana. He was small and weak and small and couldn't jump much, but was physical and tried hard. Anyway, he had long hair combed backwards, held down by one of those u shaped things women slide over their heads. Don't know what they are called. Anyway, his hair was a little psst his shoulders, long enough so it curled up and away from his body, which made him look like a blonde version of Marlo Thomas when she was staring in That Girl. Well done Dana, and very fitting given your androgynous first name.

Syracuse has played Colgate more than any other opponent. Recent trends have not been positive for Colgate; this was the 51st loss in a row to Syracuse. Only once has a team beaten another team in college basketball more times consecutively; UCLA beat Cal 52 times in a row during the Wooden era. So sometime around 365 days from now, the Red Raiders will make history, as their march to become the Washington Generals of college basketball nears completion.

This should be a highlight of JB's final season. Huge.

Last edited:
"The Colgate players said they thought they could win this game and perhaps they really believed it..."

s-l300.jpg

53 in a row. but's there's always next year !!!!

"which made him look like a blonde version of Marlo Thomas when she was staring in That Girl..."

you mean that guy...

Colgate+v+Syracuse+39oK_Jc7oTnx.jpg

somewhere the lovely marlo is pissed about the comparison!

"The Colgate players said they thought they could win this game and perhaps they really believed it..."

s-l300.jpg

53 in a row. but's there's always next year !!!!
Actually, 53 won't come until the 2018-19 season. Last night was 51 in a row. Still awesome.

After 53 we should throw in the towel.

Marlo was a big crush when I hit puberty:

marlo-thomas-that-girl-anne-marie.jpg
You have excellent taste, because That Girl is one of the most underrated TV shows of all time, IMNSHO. I do believe Ms Thomas portrayed the first single girl on TV to live alone, with a steady beau, and though it was strongly implied that Ann Marie aud Don did little more than kiss, they also DID NOT GET MARRIED in the series finale, nor did Ann Marie wed anyone else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom