My Take | Syracusefan.com

My Take

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
I will start off, as is my wont, with food.

I have criticized the powers that be for the lack of food choices many times in the past. Want to give them props for adding pulled pork, hamburgers and now pizza rolls as new options (for basketball, I think the pulled pork was around last year, the burgers started this year and the pizza rolls are really new) . I am told the burgers are quite good and the pizza rolls got a solid thumbs up from my 8 year old niece. They looked like 4 under sized deep fried egg rolls filled with pizza goodness. FYI, the burgers and pizza rolls are sold in the northeast corner of the Dome, lower level, where chicken tenders, fries and Saranac are also sold. It is where the old Burger King was back in the day. I believe the pulled pork sandwiches are only available at the stand in the south east corner of the Dome, lower level. For my money, the chicken tenders are the best meal available in the Done. They are actually quite good. Good to get all that documented just as the home season has (hopefully) ended.

The n/a was sung by a junior at SU. Very soulful version with some interesting flourishes. Good job. While on the topic of music, wanted to note that it was announced that Justin Murtz, longtime director of the SUMB (and friend of the board) is leaving his position. He will be missed.

Just before the game started, the crowd on the upper level of the north side of the Dome extended to close to the goal line. On the south side, there was virtually no one sitting in the upper level above the lower level student section and beyond to the east. Looked like the university reserved a huge number of seats for students that didn't want to go. But 10 minutes into the game, those sections had filled up and it was clear we might have a chance for 30K.

Props to all the people who paid to sit up there. Awful seats. Hope they discounted them greatly, as they should. The students were able to buy tickets for whatever the temperature was at 8 am yesterday. Think it was 12. Pretty fair.

Anyway, the crowd was lively and attentive from the start. People made noise and I think they affected the GTech players. The GTech fans did a much better job shouting air ball than the SU fans did, but on Saturday, that was about the only advantage the Yellow Jackets had on Syracuse.

What changed? I thought the SU defense was far better yesterday than in the first meeting. GTech doesn't have many weapons on offense. They scored mostly on transition baskets by Jackson and shots from the high post by Lammers then. SU tried to take away the high post entry pass to Lammers yesterday and was largely successful. They also got back on defense well, limiting transition baskets quite severely. And they overplayed on the second pass when GTech got the ball in the paint to get a lot of steals. Thought it was one of the best displays of team defense all season, with only TT serving as a weak link.

On offense, GTech tried that 1-3-1 zone they used so successfully in the first game. This time, SU was prepared for it, attacking it with 3 point shots from the corners, where this defense has major weak spots. TB and AW3 did major damage, helped by excellent passing from JG and TL. Good to see marked improvement in some areas from a team that has tended to make the same mistakes a lot.

TL dominated the boards and intimidated GTech when they got into the paint. He could be scoring another 5 or 10 points a game but this team is exceptionally incompetent at throwing a lob pass down low.

Looked like Pastner switched defenses a few times, but AW3 glowed white hot in the 2nd half, TB continued his strong development the second half of the season (he is finishing a lot better now), and JG ran the offense really well. When this team is playing well, they are really tough to defend and that certainly was the case on Saturday.

Given the choice of UVa, VTech or Miami beforehand, I would have chosen Miami. Not going to be easy, but we match up pretty well with them. I like our chances Wednesday.

Strange team. They can look horrible, exceptional or anything in between. Not much consistency, but they are dangerous as hell to play when they are in the groove. If they play defense like they did yesterday, watch out.

"TL dominated the boards and intimidated GTech when they got into the paint. He could be scoring another 5 or 10 points a game but this team is exceptionally incompetent at throwing a lob pass down low."

Tsquare took 4 shots in 15 minutes. Lydon took 4 shots in 37 minutes. it's not just the post passing.

"TL dominated the boards and intimidated GTech when they got into the paint. He could be scoring another 5 or 10 points a game but this team is exceptionally incompetent at throwing a lob pass down low."

Tsquare took 4 shots in 15 minutes. Lydon took 4 shots in 37 minutes. it's not just the post passing.

Yeah, and TT is just a model of great shot selection huh?

Tyler Lydon is like 10 times the player that Taureen Thompson is at this point. Some of you need to get off it already.

I wasn't impressed with Pastner's coaching on either end. You addressed it and I don't think anyone was going to stop AWIII or Battle yesterday but at the other end Pastner did a poor job offensively vs the zone. Our guys were very active, and reminded me of the post season run LY, but Pastner made no adjustments to take advantage of Lammer's ability. If yesterday was a foreshadowing of the rest of the year then we might not see much of TT.

Yeah, and TT is just a model of great shot selection huh?

Tyler Lydon is like 10 times the player that Taureen Thompson is at this point. Some of you need to get off it already.
TL was still hesitant to shoot yesterday. He finally drained that three and I know my section was very relieved he finally put one up. We didn't need his shooting but I thought that one might loosen him up.

TL was still hesitant to shoot yesterday. He finally drained that three and I know my section was very relieved he finally put one up. We didn't need his shooting but I thought that one might loosen him up.

Maybe, but we scored 90. He had 3 assists. Thompson, of course, had 0. In a game where White and Battle are on fire and we are burying 3's left and right, I'll take Lydon's shot selection over Thompson's any day. If White is blanketed and off, and Battle is struggling...that's when TT's scorers mentality(and ability) is needed and where Lydon needs to be more aggressive looking for his shot.

Lammers was the best player on the court. And they did not use that to their advantage nearly enough.

Maybe, but we scored 90. He had 3 assists. Thompson, of course, had 0. In a game where White and Battle are on fire and we are burying 3's left and right, I'll take Lydon's shot selection over Thompson's any day. If White is blanketed and off, and Battle is struggling...that's when TT's scorers mentality(and ability) is needed and where Lydon needs to be more aggressive looking for his shot.
As I thought when the season started, Lydon would start as our best player and Battle would finish the season that way. That's not taking anything from TL but Battle is really really good. Glad we got to see him for a brief time in Orange!

I will start off, as is my wont, with food.

I have criticized the powers that be for the lack of food choices many times in the past. Want to give them props for adding pulled pork, hamburgers and now pizza rolls as new options (for basketball, I think the pulled pork was around last year, the burgers started this year and the pizza rolls are really new) . I am told the burgers are quite good and the pizza rolls got a solid thumbs up from my 8 year old niece. They looked like 4 under sized deep fried egg rolls filled with pizza goodness. FYI, the burgers and pizza rolls are sold in the northeast corner of the Dome, lower level, where chicken tenders, fries and Saranac are also sold. It is where the old Burger King was back in the day. I believe the pulled pork sandwiches are only available at the stand in the south east corner of the Dome, lower level. For my money, the chicken tenders are the best meal available in the Done. They are actually quite good. Good to get all that documented just as the home season has (hopefully) ended.

The n/a was sung by a junior at SU. Very soulful version with some interesting flourishes. Good job. While on the topic of music, wanted to note that it was announced that Justin Murtz, longtime director of the SUMB (and friend of the board) is leaving his position. He will be missed.

Just before the game started, the crowd on the upper level of the north side of the Dome extended to close to the goal line. On the south side, there was virtually no one sitting in the upper level above the lower level student section and beyond to the east. Looked like the university reserved a huge number of seats for students that didn't want to go. But 10 minutes into the game, those sections had filled up and it was clear we might have a chance for 30K.

Props to all the people who paid to sit up there. Awful seats. Hope they discounted them greatly, as they should. The students were able to buy tickets for whatever the temperature was at 8 am yesterday. Think it was 12. Pretty fair.

Anyway, the crowd was lively and attentive from the start. People made noise and I think they affected the GTech players. The GTech fans did a much better job shouting air ball than the SU fans did, but on Saturday, that was about the only advantage the Yellow Jackets had on Syracuse.

What changed? I thought the SU defense was far better yesterday than in the first meeting. GTech doesn't have many weapons on offense. They scored mostly on transition baskets by Jackson and shots from the high post by Lammers then. SU tried to take away the high post entry pass to Lammers yesterday and was largely successful. They also got back on defense well, limiting transition baskets quite severely. And they overplayed on the second pass when GTech got the ball in the paint to get a lot of steals. Thought it was one of the best displays of team defense all season, with only TT serving as a weak link.

On offense, GTech tried that 1-3-1 zone they used so successfully in the first game. This time, SU was prepared for it, attacking it with 3 point shots from the corners, where this defense has major weak spots. TB and AW3 did major damage, helped by excellent passing from JG and TL. Good to see marked improvement in some areas from a team that has tended to make the same mistakes a lot.

TL dominated the boards and intimidated GTech when they got into the paint. He could be scoring another 5 or 10 points a game but this team is exceptionally incompetent at throwing a lob pass down low.

Looked like Pastner switched defenses a few times, but AW3 glowed white hot in the 2nd half, TB continued his strong development the second half of the season (he is finishing a lot better now), and JG ran the offense really well. When this team is playing well, they are really tough to defend and that certainly was the case on Saturday.

Given the choice of UVa, VTech or Miami beforehand, I would have chosen Miami. Not going to be easy, but we match up pretty well with them. I like our chances Wednesday.

Strange team. They can look horrible, exceptional or anything in between. Not much consistency, but they are dangerous as hell to play when they are in the groove. If they play defense like they did yesterday, watch out.

Always look forward to your takes. Keep them up. Great posts every single time.

Taurean Thompsons shot selection is on par with Terrence Roberts and Louie MCcrosky - he's just a better shooter - but it DOES NOT excuse his 20-30% of his shots that literally anyone else in syracuse history would be benched for. I dont understand how he isnt in the dog house - especially when adding that to his "i dont care at all" attitude defensively.

I wasn't impressed with Pastner's coaching on either end. You addressed it and I don't think anyone was going to stop AWIII or Battle yesterday but at the other end Pastner did a poor job offensively vs the zone. Our guys were very active, and reminded me of the post season run LY, but Pastner made no adjustments to take advantage of Lammer's ability. If yesterday was a foreshadowing of the rest of the year then we might not see much of TT.

I don't know. Pastner has a limited offensive team outside of Lammers and Okogie. For whatever reason they failed to get out on shooters especially in the 1H run. It was surprising to see since they are a good defensive team and play hard on that end. I'm sure he didn't tell them to sag off our shooters. They just didn't play hard much of that 1H on D, our zone was better that day, and our shooters were on fire. Ballgame.

Pastner is a buffoon.

Still sickening that we lost to them down there, which would have not only given us 11 conference wins but also positioned us a little better heading into the ACCT. Funny how we lost that game by a handful with a key call that took away our chance to get a game winning possession, but absent that bias we whip these guys by 29. Southern "hospitality" at its finest.

But as Tom points out, this might have been our top offensive performance of the year, and the kids really executed well the adjustments that the staff made to attack GT in game 2. Well done to all involved.

As pure basketball players and what they do for their team (not about pro potential)...

Lammers, Battle, White, Okogie, Lydon in that order, imo. I wouldn't object to switching Battle and White.

Pastner is a buffoon.

Still sickening that we lost to them down there, which would have not only given us 11 conference wins but also positioned us a little better heading into the ACCT. Funny how we lost that game by a handful with a key call that took away our chance to get a game winning possession, but absent that bias we whip these guys by 29. Southern "hospitality" at its finest.

But as Tom points out, this might have been our top offensive performance of the year, and the kids really executed well the adjustments that the staff made to attack GT in game 2. Well done to all involved.

Why is he a buffoon? Because he was out on the court too far that one time? He seems well respected by his peers and certainly by JB. He has brought a good attitude and culture to GTech which was on life support with Gregory. They have two good offensive players and that's it. To have some of the wins they have with their personnel speaks volumes about the coaching job Pastner has done, imo.

As pure basketball players and what they do for their team (not about pro potential)...

Lammers, Battle, White, Okogie, Lydon in that order, imo. I wouldn't object to switching Battle and White.

Interesting. Battle was our fourth best player in conference play overall. He was good the last 3 games, I agree with that. I think Gillon has to be up there for better or worse.

Interesting. Battle was our fourth best player in conference play overall. He was good the last 3 games, I agree with that. I think Gillon has to be up there for better or worse.

You could take out Lydon for Gillon, too. I'd be fine with that. We do have some very good players in the starting lineup. Many teams don't.

You could take out Lydon for Gillon, too. I'd be fine with that. We do have some very good players in the starting lineup. Many teams don't.

I think we have 4 really good to great college players. There's just no depth. That hurts us against the UNC, Notre Dame's and Louisvilles in the conference

I might be overvaluing Battle but in this offense, to be able to drive is huge.

I think we have 4 really good to great college players. There's just no depth. That hurts us against the UNC, Notre Dame's and Louisvilles in the conference

And not enough big and/or competent bodies to be able to bang inside. Really think Diagne could've helped there. A healthy Chukwu would not have mattered. He would've been eaten alive, IMO.

Why is he a buffoon? Because he was out on the court too far that one time? He seems well respected by his peers and certainly by JB. He has brought a good attitude and culture to GTech which was on life support with Gregory. They have two good offensive players and that's it. To have some of the wins they have with their personnel speaks volumes about the coaching job Pastner has done, imo.

Not a fan, never been a fan, don't think he is that good of a coach. He was identified as a wunderkind early on in his career, making his bones as a bulldog recruiter as an AC @ a semi-elite program, and hasn't come anywhere close to living up to the hype as a HC, IMO.

I won't argue your point about GT having a fine season relative to preseason expectations. I just view him as a highly mediocre coach, and I can't stand losing to those types.

So you're saying that a highly mediocre buffoon who hasn't lived up to his hype (didn't know he came with hype) is the ACC coach of the year with 24 of the 53 votes cast, three times that of the second-place coach, and who coached the defensive player of the year.

So you're saying that a highly mediocre buffoon who hasn't lived up to his hype (didn't know he came with hype) is the ACC coach of the year with 24 of the 53 votes cast, three times that of the second-place coach, and who coached the defensive player of the year.

Was there supposed to be a question in there?

So you're saying - followed by a question mark at the end - usually means a question has been asked. Obv I'm looking for confirmation of what you're saying. Are you calling the ACC coach of the year a buffoon? Does that mean in your opinion that the 24 who voted for him were hoodwinked by a buffoon? Seems simple enough to answer with a yes or no. I'm assuming you're claiming him to be a buffoon this year as well as in past years. As long as I'm asking, what's your evidence?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom