My Take | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

My Take

That's nothing new. Games at the dome have always been about the "party atmosphere" for a large portion of our student body. What about Otto's Army? That was just getting started when I was on the Hill. Now they run multiple road-trip events for football and basketball for students to attend road games.

It's pretty convenient to pick and choose when to criticize the students for not showing up at the Dome, but fail to give them props for other ways they "support their University."
I think Ottos Army is great. They're creative, active and informative. So obviously, some students are supportive. The problem is ... one of the most important metrics of supporting the team (and your school) is showing up at games. And the SU student attendance record is embarrassing. Let's not make excuses for it.

I also have to disagree with you on student participation. Having access to a cell phone doesn't mean you shouldn't bother supporting your university or fellow students playing sports at SU. Yes, this week students are on break. But I have ST's (that's "season tickets") for FB and student attendance is at historic lows. This wouldn't be so upsetting if they were busy studying. Instead, there have been photos posted here and elsewhere (many) of large numbers of undergraduate (and underage) students binge partying during games. For many of these students, it seems the goal is the easiest and quickest way to get drunk instead of supporting their University. Disappointing, to say the least. So if Tom makes occasional reference to poor student attendance, he has every right.

FB?!?! Damnit!! You explained what ST means but not FB!! ;)

I think Ottos Army is great. They're creative, active and informative. So obviously, some students are supportive. The problem is ... one of the most important metrics of supporting the team (and your school) is showing up at games. And the SU student attendance record is embarrassing. Let's not make excuses for it.

I'd be curious to see if it's tracked in terms of student season ticket purchases. I would imagine SU Athletics knows the numbers on this. They got smart and combined the football and basketball STS (student season ticket) into one package. It used to be separate. Now, you maximize the possibility for students to attend football as well when you do that.

As you pointed out, whether or not they show up despite having bought a STS is a whole other story.

There are many, many people who have been here a long time. There are many others who've been to hundreds of games. Tom is the best of the best and the most humble by far. As for referring to players by their initials, is it that hard to put names to initials when reading Tom's posts? It's not like everyone on the roster is named Jones or Smith.

I love Tom's posts, I'm at nearly every game, I'm often baffled by the abbreviations, and I was very surprised by and didn't much care for Tom's "skip my posts" line.

Lotta different possibilities out there...

I love Tom's posts, I'm at nearly every game, I'm often baffled by the abbreviations, and I was very surprised by and didn't much care for Tom's "skip my posts" line.

Lotta different possibilities out there...

Nice measured response. You must be a Mets fan!

I remain amazed at the improvement of Paschal this season. He was much better than last year from day one but appears to be getting better with each game. It will get harder for him when he goes against centers stronger than he is but it is great to see him playing with confidence and aggressiveness on both sides of the court.
that is definitely something to watch, but:
the texas southern center was 7-2, 240 and was originally recruited to play in the sec (auburn). he hung 12 and 8 on us, but our own centers matched him with a combined 17 and 7 with 3 blocks, so that is a very good early sign, imho

Well then consider the olive branch extended. I'd love to attend a game with you two once we get our boys on the field at NBT. Hear that sutomcat?
That would be great. I would definitely be in.

Didn't mean anything personal in my response. If I came off as a jerk, I am sorry about that.

If we can figure out short nicknames for some of the players, I would use those. But I can't type out Dolezai, Brissett, Thorpe, etc. I am pretty sure the players call Sidibe Deeb or Deebs. That could be a start.

But aside from the student issue, I also thought Chukwu arrived in this game. During the exhibitions, he seemed a little awkward like he was at beginning of last season. But there were steady improvements. More rebounds, better positioning, a couple of drop step moves, a basket or two here and there ... but consistently bad FT shooting (oh well). Last night's numbers can't be ignored - 12 and 8 with 8 blocks. That's a game-altering performance. Oakland's a smaller team, but they're the first team with a winning record, and I could see why with their guards and Brock down low. They had little chance against our zone. We have serious length up top, long athletic forwards that hustle and bigs that can protect the rim. Our rebounding numbers are better than I expected -- although we'll learn more in the next 3 games. Even so, I had to stop myself from saying, "omg ... we're actually a balanced team?!" Been a while, for sure.

Brakes need to be applied until we play UM and KU. While I would LOVE to see Paschal perform like this every night, I think he'll struggle against more experienced (and beefier) bigs that are his size. That's part of the process. And Sidibe gives us quality depth. We may not beat either of those two teams, but the competition will prepare us for the ACC.

A couple concerns ... we're not where we need to be from an offensive production (or efficiency) standpoint. And having 3 guys play 30+ minutes is going to hurt us down the stretch. MD has become the de facto starter at PF (fine with me). He brings energy and hustle ... and if his offense starts improving with his confidence (even a little), that would be a huge help.

Last edited:
FB?!?! Damnit!! You explained what ST means but not FB!! ;)
Frank Bauer, best guess. Probably not related to FH, but might be related to this guy.
latest

Frank Bauer, best guess. Probably not related to FH, but might be related to this guy.
latest
This is the nightmare dude who shows up for a date with your daughter ... (causing an immediate scramble for a shot gun and plenty of ammo).

that is definitely something to watch, but:
the texas southern center was 7-2, 240 and was originally recruited to play in the sec (auburn). he hung 12 and 8 on us, but our own centers matched him with a combined 17 and 7 with 3 blocks, so that is a very good early sign, imho
I watched some of the Maryland-Bucknell game last weekend. UMd has a frosh center named Bruno Fernando from Angola that really hurt Bucknell inside 6'10 245 pounds. Very physical. Tries to back his man down using his strength.

He will be a great test. Hoping Sidibe and Chukwu try to draw charges on him because he is a bull in a china shop right now.

Didn't mean anything personal in my response. If I came off as a jerk, I am sorry about that.

If we can figure out short nicknames for some of the players, I would use those. But I can't type out Dolezai, Brissett, Thorpe, etc. I am pretty sure the players call Sidibe Deeb or Deebs. That could be a start.

Gotta chime in and add that the post-game days we don't get to read a 'My Take' are a little less enjoyable than the ones when we can. So though I'm no initial-defender and was surprised by your reply back there, your posts are seriously appreciated!

I watched some of the Maryland-Bucknell game last weekend. UMd has a frosh center named Bruno Fernando from Angola that really hurt Bucknell inside 6'10 245 pounds. Very physical. Tries to back his man down using his strength.

He will be a great test. Hoping Sidibe and Chukwu try to draw charges on him because he is a bull in a china shop right now.
I wish Chukwu would develop a shot to pull his man outside. That way, it would open up the middle for drives and make rebounding easier for the forwards. They're giving him the foul line jumper ... take it, big guy!

It's all good. I talked to a few others who told me that you probably didn't mean anything by it. I'm sorry too.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom