My Take | Syracusefan.com

My Take

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Has to be quick.

Smallish crowd, lots of people did not show. I would guess maybe 250 students were in place at the start of the game. It is sad how awful student attendance has become.

The fans that came were good and very supportive.

A big, awkward slow guy from BC got a steal near the top of the key and went in for a largely uncontested dunk. I think he stole it from Battle, who was in pursuit. Not sure what happened; I think he was distracted and overly concerned Battle was going to block his shot. As he approached the rim, he changed from a thunder dunk approach, to a soft dunk approach, before realizing he was about 5 feet short and 2 feet below where he needed to dunk, where upon he switched to an underhanded finger roll, upon which he realized need to really extend to get to the rim. When he finally got there, he could barely brush the front of the rim with the ball and he and the ball fell down.

The reaction of the crowd was a stunned silence, then an explosion of laughter and derisive jeers. It was a special moment and it reminded me how happy I am to have BC back in the same league with Syracuse.

At halftime, a 2 on 2 half court basketball game appeared in front of the student section between two unathletic people dressed as penguins and two others dressed as unicorns. I think the penguins scored once and got the win, which makes sense given they had the climatic advantage. But there were two cheerleaders playing in there too. I thought maybe they were playing a 2 on 2 on 2 as sometimes the cheerleaders took shots but sometimes they passed the ball to the unicorns. Anyway, it was very confusing and bizarre.

The NA was sung by an SU student who did a very soulful cover. It was well received.

BC got the ball inside a few times early in the game and even when out of position, PC got a couple blocks (Oshae might have gotten one too). That appeared to destroy their confidence and they rarely even looked at the basket after that. There was a chasm between the BC forward and centers and the SU forwards and centers in terms of athletic ability that contributed largely to the final outcome.

A BC walk on on the end of the bench must have said something unflattering to Oshae early in the game, probably about his ability to shoot from the outside. Oshae reminded him about it for much of the rest of the game.

Bowman got abused all game long by whoever he was trying to cover. Christian could not yell at him enough about it.

A female cheerleader carried the E flag during the traditional running of the flags near the 8 minute mark. She did fine. A jumbo sized male cheerleader just in front of her showed signs of distress but also was able to finish the run, though his form was less than perfect.

BC had players from Latvia, Slovenia and Bosnia, as they continue to try and corner the market on basketball players from countries that end in ia. They get partial credit for Avery Wilson, who is a Georgia native, and Sam Holtze, who is from California.

Jerome Robinson is really good. He should go pro after this season.

And the big guy traveled before his layup/dunk/miss/humiliation, picking the ball up early was the only way he could get separation from the defender. That was one of the clumsiest things I ever saw.

EDIT: Also, the big fat male cheerleader during the running of the letters...this has been a weird development and it's really not funny. That kid's in no shape to be participating in that and I can't believe the university lets the cheerleading coach expose them to this kind of liability. Every game he struggles and just drops down on the floor when they're through running and doesn't regain his breath for several minutes, if he has a heart attack, I don't think his friends would even notice, they're too busy covering him up with a flag and laughing about it.

And the big guy traveled before his layup/dunk/miss/humiliation, picking the ball up early was the only way he could get separation from the defender. That was one of the clumsiest things I ever saw.

EDIT: Also, the big fat male cheerleader during the running of the letters...this has been a weird development and it's really not funny. That kid's in no shape to be participating in that and I can't believe the university lets the cheerleading coach expose them to this kind of liability. Every game he struggles and just drops down on the floor when they're through running and doesn't regain his breath for several minutes, if he has a heart attack, I don't think his friends would even notice, they're too busy covering him up with a flag and laughing about it.
Atleast the male cheerleader hasn't tripped while running with the flag like we've seen in the past. But there's still games left before he gets out unscathed.

Yeah, I think a female cheerleader who is in shape should take over for that guy. He always flops afterwards and it has become quite the amusing distraction that perhaps isn’t that amusing.

I LOVE how they now spell out “SYRACUSE” with the flags! It looks very cool.

The crowd was sparse but were into it, particularly in the first half and the guys kept signaling they wanted us to cheer. There was a nice energy exchange between the players and crowd in the first half that Captain J would have approved of.

We had some excitement in 309. There is a very angry older man who sits in Row A about 10 people down from me. He enjoys screaming at the refs and sometimes the players. His wife usually sits beside him, mortified. He is more noticeable during the off season when fewer people attend the game. I haven’t noticed him much in the past few games, but last night a guy behind me asked if I had seen an usher talking to him, and then the man and his poor wife left. None of us in our corner noticed, but sure enough, he was gone! I cannot imagine what he could have said/done that crossed a line because he has been a real jerk for years. We now have a 309 mystery! Stay tuned . . . .

Yeah, I think a female cheerleader who is in shape should take over for that guy. He always flops afterwards and it has become quite the amusing distraction that perhaps isn’t that amusing.

I LOVE how they now spell out “SYRACUSE” with the flags! It looks very cool.

The crowd was sparse but were into it, particularly in the first half and the guys kept signaling they wanted us to cheer. There was a nice energy exchange between the players and crowd in the first half that Captain J would have approved of.

We had some excitement in 309. There is a very angry older man who sits in Row A about 10 people down from me. He enjoys screaming at the refs and sometimes the players. His wife usually sits beside him, mortified. He is more noticeable during the off season when fewer people attend the game. I haven’t noticed him much in the past few games, but last night a guy behind me asked if I had seen an usher talking to him, and then the man and his poor wife left. None of us in our corner noticed, but sure enough, he was gone! I cannot imagine what he could have said/done that crossed a line because he has been a real jerk for years. We now have a 309 mystery! Stay tuned . . . .

Of course that sparked a non-related story to me. The UVM-Albany game up here in Patrick Gymnasium had an unfortunate incident last night. I wasn't there, but the story was relayed by some folks I know who were. During the first half, play was stopped as emergency responders attended to an older gentleman who was having a heart issue. Chest compressions for 15 minutes type of attended. He was taken out on a stretcher, and was doing okay after the game. Both teams were sent back to the locker rooms during all of this.

I liked the BC that hacked everyone on every play and couldn’t believe any of the calls. He fouled out. I believe he fouled his own teammate twice.

I love the kids like that. One of the kids my son has played with for years honestly does not believe he's ever legitimately fouled someone. It's so comical. He complains about each and every call.

The missed dunk/not a dunk was one of the funniest things I've seen in a while. He stuttered stepped or something just before and that's when i said to myself he does not have enough momentum to make it.

Don't forget the nice introduction of Otto on top of the pyramid thing the cheerleaders do. Thought it was a very nice touch. Not sure if there is a video of it.
True, that was well done. And after about 1000 attempts pick and rolls, Paschal got a good pass in mid roll and flushed it! Huge!

The missed dunk/not a dunk was one of the funniest things I've seen in a while. He stuttered stepped or something just before and that's when i said to myself he does not have enough momentum to make it.

It looked like it may have been his first attempt at a dunk in a game. He definitely was a bit freaked that he was that much in the clear

Don't forget the nice introduction of Otto on top of the pyramid thing the cheerleaders do. Thought it was a very nice touch. Not sure if there is a video of it.

They also might have replaced the awful cheerleader microphone stunt with some deal where Otto borrows the SSS's bass drum and the cheerleaders try to get the crowd to do a Let's Go Orange chant.

Inorganic and weird with the microphone, but it's a huge improvement. Hope it sticks a little while and the other one is gone forever.

They also might have replaced the awful cheerleader microphone stunt with some deal where Otto borrows the SSS's bass drum and the cheerleaders try to get the crowd to do a Let's Go Orange chant.

Inorganic and weird with the microphone, but it's a huge improvement. Hope it sticks a little while and the other one is gone forever.
Yes. It was much better. I hated the other one. Anything with an interactive Otto is an upgrade.

Can someone send me video of that plump guy who runs around with the flag and collapses at the end? I'm stuck at work and could use some amusement.

Can someone send me video of that plump guy who runs around with the flag and collapses at the end? I'm stuck at work and could use some amusement.
That's wrong.

But if someone has it... I would watch.

Yeah. Funniest thing since DNic did it. :bat:

It looked like it may have been his first attempt at a dunk in a game. He definitely was a bit freaked that he was that much in the clear

I'm not sure he can palm the ball. It looked like he was trying to cuff it and then lost it immediately so he tried to switch to a finger roll.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom