My Take | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

My Take

I still don't believe that there were only barely 24k people there. Seemed like ~27 to me

Yeah, Jeff Ruland. That guy was a beast at Iona and then in the NBA before injuries cut short his career. Pretty sure at least one of those Iona teams were ranked. Jim Valvano coached Ruland there.
It was the big center matchup...Ruland against Bouie.
Close game in Manley.
Then Danny Schayes and Hal Cohen came off the bench...hit some bombs and the Orange pulled away.

Close game in Manley.
Then Danny Schayes and Hal Cohen came off the bench...hit some bombs and the Orange pulled away.
Yes, just looked it up. SU won 89-76, in the Carrier Classic final on 12/2/78. It was the only time Syracuse played Iona in Ruland's three seasons there. SU was ranked 9th at the time and Iona was unranked. Dale Shackleford led SU with 30 points that night.

Close game in Manley.
Yes, just looked it up. SU won 89-76, in the Carrier Classic final on 12/2/78. It was the only time Syracuse played Iona in Ruland's three seasons there. SU was ranked 9th at the time and Iona was unranked. Dale Shackleford led SU with 30 points that night.
But in the days before that CC matchup, Sports Illustrated had published their Top 20 and had Iona ranked higher than Syracuse (SI used to throw in a surprise team just to create buzz). Manley resounded with chants of "SI sucks! SU sucks!".

Iona's coach at the time? Jim Valvano (RIP).

Except for the fact that there is only one escalator going to the third floor, and it gets severely jammed up there trying to leave the game.

Well, for me anyway, going up is the hard part.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom