My Take | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

My Take

It looked questionable at Best and in that case I feel like you let it go.

Don't misunderstand me, i understand that there were plenty of negative aspects of yesterday's game. But I also think there were some positives that are getting a bit ignored. That was a great comeback
agree
i think the two biggest takeaways from yesterday's game were
1. the resilience to shake off that 1st half performance and come out with a winning attitude after half time
2. the ability to make multiple big shots the last 3 minutes

Nice summary, but too much criticism of Frank, who is not 100% yet.

There may have been another ranked upstate team when the Bonnies had Bob Lanier or when Iona had that big guy who became coach later on (if you consider Iona upstate).
Yeah, Jeff Ruland. That guy was a beast at Iona and then in the NBA before injuries cut short his career. Pretty sure at least one of those Iona teams were ranked. Jim Valvano coached Ruland there.

Props to the crowd. They made a lot of noise. Looked like it bothered the Hoyas, who are not used to having people in the stands or noise. Even the students contributed.
:rolling::rolling:

As a Cuse fan since the 60's, I yearn for the transition game that made this team so much fun to watch for decades. We are so much better in transition than in a half court offense. If we play like we did the 1st 10 minutes of the 2nd half, we are as good as anyone.

I completely agree with this. I am not sure why they revert to passing the ball side to side around the arc ending up with a forced deep shot or a one-on-one prayer.

I think we have seen to best of this team in limited portions of the past couple games. For zone - flash to the foul line and either go from there or kick for a good shot when the defense collapses. For aggressive man-to-man run and push on every missed shot and turnover.

Why did we stop pushing the ball when we got back into the game? The defense switch? I found myself screaming at the TV (not unusual - I've been an SU fan a long time) "drive, push, aggressive!"

If we play like that I am not sure there are many teams in the country that can hang with the number of potential mismatches we can have on the court - Howard (when healthy), Battle, Brissett, and Hughes are all tough to stop when running. Carey is too but I think he isn't yet in control enough to be reliable.

We have the bodies that we should be able to get out and force the action much more.

I hope they will take that away from this game going forward but I am not holding my breath. Like I said, I've been a fan for a long time.

Still a great win and Battle is an absolute killer when he is on. Fun to watch!

Got there early. Much to my surprise, there was a band playing in a corner of the football field back court area. They played cover songs, mostly from the 1990s. Thought they were good. Some people stood around to listen. Good idea.

There were a fair number of people that were wearing Georgetown gear. Not as much as when we play Cornell, but I bet they had at least 100 fans in the house.

Only 24K for this one but walking to our seats 5 minutes before tipoff was tough. The concourses and staircases are woefully narrow. If you are wondering if this is another thinly veiled attempt to lobby for wider concourses and staircases (escalators would be nice too) as part of phase 2 of the Dome renovation, the answer is yes.

I noticed the students have brought back the chants after each of the starters are introduced for the opposition. Watching the student section get smaller, quieter and more lame and boring each season has been profoundly disappointing but nothing has been sadder to see than the decision to do away with that tradition. Not sure whose decision it was to do away with it but I am glad to see it is back. Even if the signs to that the students what to say have decreased in size just as much as the number of students attending the games.

It was great to see the football team get some love at halftime. Dino did a ‘Whose house? Our house!’ that was embraced enthusiastically by the fans. Why doesn’t the ‘cheer team’ embrace the chant as well? Their attempts to engage the crowd in chants have been a complete failure for 30 years. Why not embrace a chant people want to do? Perplexing.

The grande male cheerleader had the C flag last night. He kept up with the A flag but all the smaller letters got destroyed by type A holder of the giant S flag. Impressive. C flag did feign fainting afterwards, lining down in the middle of the open area south of the movable section section, but a couple of carts needed to be wheeled through and C flag had to be dragged out of the way.

On to the game...

That might have been the most substitutions I have ever seen JB make in the first half. He shuttled players in and out like a maniac, trying desperately to find a lineup that could play effectively. I think he probably pulled a Q and subbed too much. There is something to continuity. But everyone was playing poorly. It was a remarkably ugly half of basketball. Meanwhile, that hotdog McClung was putting on a show, hitting bombs from outside, penetrating and shredding the zone inside and even making a behind the back pass for an assist. Impressive half for him.

In the second half, JB probably wouldn’t have subbed at all if it wasn’t for foul trouble. He rode that nag til she dropped. And it worked.

Why did we play so bad in the first half? What is going on with this team? With so many scorers, how can we struggle to score so often?

Part of the problem is Frank. When he is just sitting around the perimeter, passing it around to someone else on the perimeter, and launching and missing 3s, he doesn’t need to be covered and becomes a big liability on offense.

The same applies to Paschal. Teams aren’t bothering to cover him at all. He does pick and rolls, gets open and is routinely ignored. Or, until the second half last night, he gets the ball and something really bad happens.

Frank actually had a breakthrough yesterday and got into the lane a few times, where good things happened. Great sign. He has gotten in foul trouble a coup,e of times since his return and is not playing smart when he does. He did better at this last year. Hope that is just rust.

Speaking if breakthroughs, thought Paschal’s second half was really good. His rebounding could be better and I thought his defense was okay, but wow, it was great to see him finish some plays consistently. I think he has to contribute if we are going to be a good team on offense. Another senior, another foul out. Disappointing. Not many rebounds. Disappointing.

I don’t think we even tried pressure once. Thry had a true frosh PG out there most of the time. Kind of surprised about that. Given the foul trouble we had, it probably was a good decision.

Was Frank’s foul trouble a good break? In some ways, yes. I think Frank is easily the best guy we have forcing turnovers. He gets a ton of steals. Does a good job covering ground an limiting good looks from the3 point circle too, though by the time his career here is over, I suspect he will have fouled a 3 point shooter in the act more than any SU player ever. When he is out, our defense is worse.

Our first looks at Carey, he was shooting a lot. Too much for a point guard. JB had to have talked to him about it because he is not looking for his shot nearly as much any longer. Why is our plus/minus so much better when Jalen is in? Part of it is tempo I think.

When Jalen is in, the team plays faster. Carey was born to run, Frank is a deliberate, walk in up the court guy. With Jalen out there, we get more transition opportunities, and it happens that Battle, Brissett and Howard all thrive in unsettled, transition settings. Tyus absolutely went off in the second half; real AA stuff again, he took the game over. But I bet o0% of his points were in unsettled situations. I think this is a big deal with this team. We don’t have great half court scorers on this team. We don’t have a traditional low post player.

When we get in half court situations, we need someone to penetrate and dish off. Battle can penetrate but he is not good finding the open guy when he gets doubled. F Howard is just now getting comfortable getting to the paint again. Carey can do it but he is used to finishing himself from the paint and is getting embarrassed trying to finish against big guys at this level. He could help the team more by looking to dish when he gets inside. He is certainly capable of do8ng this and did it a few times. If we can get Frank and Jalen to slash inside and either dish or make floaters, it will help s lot.

Marek is part of the problem too. He is playing as timidly as he did at the start of last year. He needs to play with more confidence. Don’t just immediately pass it to the closest guy on the perimeter. Marek can drive and finish, drive and dish or shoot it. Make the other team have to account for you MD. And get some rebounds. Remember that you are 6’10.

Thought Brissett did okay. He get some tough rebounds and some big baskets. Played good defense. Missed a dunk and another bunny or two. But drew fouls and was tough.

Thought Gtown played good defense except for that stretch early in the second half when the lead was erased in short order. How good as they? I think the second half was a better indicator than the first, when our poor execution on offense made things easy for them.

Props to the crowd. They made a lot of noise. Looked like it bothered the Hoyas, who are not used to having people in the stands or noise. Even the students contributed.

Should we play them again? It would help if they ever get good again. I don’t think they are making the NCAA.tournament. Attendance for this game was only slightly more than it would have if we played had we played someone like Rhode Island. If we get no bump to our SOS, if the fans don’t care, should we bother to play the Hoyas and chase shadows from the past? Maybe. The away game gives our fan base in the DC metro area a chance to watch the team play. And we still recruit that area regularly.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out next season.

This was a nice win. It will be nice to be ranked again Monday and it sets up a huge game against the Mighty Bulls. Who would had ever thought there would be a game between two ranked teams from upstate NY? I wonder when the last time was that happened? Has it ever happened?
McClung: Reminds me of Matt Brust St Johns,another you'll love to hate

Don't misunderstand me, i understand that there were plenty of negative aspects of yesterday's game. But I also think there were some positives that are getting a bit ignored. That was a great comeback
No doubt Frank is not 100%. His struggles are clearly related to the injury, and the rust of not playing. Some big questions to be answered are

1) how much are the problems are being caused by the injury?
2) how much is being caused by the rust?
And
3) will Frank ever get to 100% this season?

I haven’t seen much in the way of physical improvement so far. Maybe a little but he still looks limited in terms of mobility/agility now. I know he is back to 100% when the other team inbounds from our baseline, throws a high lob near mid court and Frank tries to outjump the recipient for it. When he is right, he tries it about once a game and succeeds in getting the steal about half the time.

I agree that our best team offensively might well feature Carey at PG, Frank at SG and Tyus at SF. It isn’t our best lineup but I think it is our best when we need to get points. I think Frank, if physically and mentally right, is our best outside shooter. He needs to get right and have someone set him up with good looks. I am hoping that person will be Jalen.

We have the athletes to be an excellent transition team. Maybe Frank can make adjustment and push the pace more. He certainly has the raw tools to do it. If not, he might need to play some SG sometimes to help jumpstart the offense. It is going to be interesting to see how JB gets these excellent pieces to fit together.

I don't think we should play UConn or Gtown. Game clearly means more to them than SU regardless of what long time fans think. It's really a nothing to gain situation for Cuse.

The Brissett missed dunk was a foul. He was pushed from behind. That is why the ball went off the back of the rim.

Came to post this. He got shoved in the back big time. Missed call by the ref.

Why is it that so often one player on our team determines our identity whereas other teams have the same identity regardless of personnel. You know UNC is gonna try to push the pace regardless of who their point guard is. Michigan State will always be a physical rebounding team. The Calhoun UConn teams always looked to push the ball after other teams scored. Somehow our point guard determines whether we push the ball up the floor or walk it up and we consistently rely on one or two guys creating off the dribble if we are going to have any half court offense.

I watched that one a couple times. I'm still not sure. I'm almost thinking OB thought he was going to get hit and just fumbled it.

He got nudged in the back. It doesn't take much force at all to affect a player who is already in the air and moving the same direction they get pushed.

I love the escalators and food court on the second floor at the Excellus Center in Buffalo. That is a great setup. My favorite arena Upstate.

Except for the fact that there is only one escalator going to the third floor, and it gets severely jammed up there trying to leave the game.

I don't think we should play UConn or Gtown. Game clearly means more to them than SU regardless of what long time fans think. It's really a nothing to gain situation for Cuse.

Such a lame post. If you play high-level D1 basketball and are supposed to be a top-25 team, then play like it. None of these BS excuses that UConn & Georgetown get hyped up for us and that's why we struggle.

He got nudged in the back. It doesn't take much force at all to affect a player who is already in the air and moving the same direction they get pushed.

Just telling you what I saw watching the replay 3 or 4 times. You absolutely could be correct, but no way does a ref think an advantage was gained by what looked to be incidental contact.

Nudged is far closer to what I saw than others on here saying he was shoved.

Why is it that so often one player on our team determines our identity whereas other teams have the same identity regardless of personnel. You know UNC is gonna try to push the pace regardless of who their point guard is. Michigan State will always be a physical rebounding team. The Calhoun UConn teams always looked to push the ball after other teams scored. Somehow our point guard determines whether we push the ball up the floor or walk it up and we consistently rely on one or two guys creating off the dribble if we are going to have any half court offense.
Here's a theory: Just about every SU star ever quoted about JB says he "let's you play your game". I assume they were referring to offense game. That would have the effect of letting player's tendencies control what happens.

will buffalo be favored? serious question.

Here's a theory: Just about every SU star ever quoted about JB says he "let's you play your game". I assume they were referring to offense game. That would have the effect of letting player's tendencies control what happens.
So why do we complain when a player walks the ball up the court? If JB thought that was a poor strategy could he not change it?

Got there early. Much to my surprise, there was a band playing in a corner of the football field back court area. They played cover songs, mostly from the 1990s. Thought they were good. Some people stood around to listen. Good idea.

There were a fair number of people that were wearing Georgetown gear. Not as much as when we play Cornell, but I bet they had at least 100 fans in the house.

Only 24K for this one but walking to our seats 5 minutes before tipoff was tough. The concourses and staircases are woefully narrow. If you are wondering if this is another thinly veiled attempt to lobby for wider concourses and staircases (escalators would be nice too) as part of phase 2 of the Dome renovation, the answer is yes.

I noticed the students have brought back the chants after each of the starters are introduced for the opposition. Watching the student section get smaller, quieter and more lame and boring each season has been profoundly disappointing but nothing has been sadder to see than the decision to do away with that tradition. Not sure whose decision it was to do away with it but I am glad to see it is back. Even if the signs to that the students what to say have decreased in size just as much as the number of students attending the games.

It was great to see the football team get some love at halftime. Dino did a ‘Whose house? Our house!’ that was embraced enthusiastically by the fans. Why doesn’t the ‘cheer team’ embrace the chant as well? Their attempts to engage the crowd in chants have been a complete failure for 30 years. Why not embrace a chant people want to do? Perplexing.

The grande male cheerleader had the C flag last night. He kept up with the A flag but all the smaller letters got destroyed by type A holder of the giant S flag. Impressive. C flag did feign fainting afterwards, lining down in the middle of the open area south of the movable section section, but a couple of carts needed to be wheeled through and C flag had to be dragged out of the way.

On to the game...

That might have been the most substitutions I have ever seen JB make in the first half. He shuttled players in and out like a maniac, trying desperately to find a lineup that could play effectively. I think he probably pulled a Q and subbed too much. There is something to continuity. But everyone was playing poorly. It was a remarkably ugly half of basketball. Meanwhile, that hotdog McClung was putting on a show, hitting bombs from outside, penetrating and shredding the zone inside and even making a behind the back pass for an assist. Impressive half for him.

In the second half, JB probably wouldn’t have subbed at all if it wasn’t for foul trouble. He rode that nag til she dropped. And it worked.

Why did we play so bad in the first half? What is going on with this team? With so many scorers, how can we struggle to score so often?

Part of the problem is Frank. When he is just sitting around the perimeter, passing it around to someone else on the perimeter, and launching and missing 3s, he doesn’t need to be covered and becomes a big liability on offense.

The same applies to Paschal. Teams aren’t bothering to cover him at all. He does pick and rolls, gets open and is routinely ignored. Or, until the second half last night, he gets the ball and something really bad happens.

Frank actually had a breakthrough yesterday and got into the lane a few times, where good things happened. Great sign. He has gotten in foul trouble a coup,e of times since his return and is not playing smart when he does. He did better at this last year. Hope that is just rust.

Speaking if breakthroughs, thought Paschal’s second half was really good. His rebounding could be better and I thought his defense was okay, but wow, it was great to see him finish some plays consistently. I think he has to contribute if we are going to be a good team on offense. Another senior, another foul out. Disappointing. Not many rebounds. Disappointing.

I don’t think we even tried pressure once. Thry had a true frosh PG out there most of the time. Kind of surprised about that. Given the foul trouble we had, it probably was a good decision.

Was Frank’s foul trouble a good break? In some ways, yes. I think Frank is easily the best guy we have forcing turnovers. He gets a ton of steals. Does a good job covering ground an limiting good looks from the3 point circle too, though by the time his career here is over, I suspect he will have fouled a 3 point shooter in the act more than any SU player ever. When he is out, our defense is worse.

Our first looks at Carey, he was shooting a lot. Too much for a point guard. JB had to have talked to him about it because he is not looking for his shot nearly as much any longer. Why is our plus/minus so much better when Jalen is in? Part of it is tempo I think.

When Jalen is in, the team plays faster. Carey was born to run, Frank is a deliberate, walk in up the court guy. With Jalen out there, we get more transition opportunities, and it happens that Battle, Brissett and Howard all thrive in unsettled, transition settings. Tyus absolutely went off in the second half; real AA stuff again, he took the game over. But I bet o0% of his points were in unsettled situations. I think this is a big deal with this team. We don’t have great half court scorers on this team. We don’t have a traditional low post player.

When we get in half court situations, we need someone to penetrate and dish off. Battle can penetrate but he is not good finding the open guy when he gets doubled. F Howard is just now getting comfortable getting to the paint again. Carey can do it but he is used to finishing himself from the paint and is getting embarrassed trying to finish against big guys at this level. He could help the team more by looking to dish when he gets inside. He is certainly capable of do8ng this and did it a few times. If we can get Frank and Jalen to slash inside and either dish or make floaters, it will help s lot.

Marek is part of the problem too. He is playing as timidly as he did at the start of last year. He needs to play with more confidence. Don’t just immediately pass it to the closest guy on the perimeter. Marek can drive and finish, drive and dish or shoot it. Make the other team have to account for you MD. And get some rebounds. Remember that you are 6’10.

Thought Brissett did okay. He get some tough rebounds and some big baskets. Played good defense. Missed a dunk and another bunny or two. But drew fouls and was tough.

Thought Gtown played good defense except for that stretch early in the second half when the lead was erased in short order. How good as they? I think the second half was a better indicator than the first, when our poor execution on offense made things easy for them.

Should we play them again? It would help if they ever get good again. I don’t think they are making the NCAA.tournament. Attendance for this game was only slightly more than it would have if we played had we played someone like Rhode Island. If we get no bump to our SOS, if the fans don’t care, should we bother to play the Hoyas and chase shadows from the past? Maybe. The away game gives our fan base in the DC metro area a chance to watch the team play. And we still recruit that area regularly.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out next season.

This was a nice win. It will be nice to be ranked again Monday and it sets up a huge game against the Mighty Bulls. Who would had ever thought there would be a game between two ranked teams from upstate NY? I wonder when the last time was that happened? Has it ever happened?

I just got my copy of this year's media Guide at the Dome on Saturday so let's use it, (pages 130-149). There was no poll until the 1948-49 season. I'll define "upstate" as anything in state that is north of the greater NYC metropolitan area.

- We didn't play as a ranked team against anyone who was also ranked until 1/12/52, when a 14th ranked SU team lost here to a 16th ranked Duquesne team, 67-78.

- We didn't play a ranked upstate team until 2/7/51 when we beat #14 Cornell at their place, 67-55. We weren't ranked.

- On 2/10/53 we beat #17 Niagara here, 86-78. We weren't ranked.

- We lost at 18th ranked Niagara 12/16/53, 62-90 (Ugh). We were not ranked.

- We lost to 10th ranked Niagara 12/16/54, 74-99 (Deja Vu?). We were not ranked.

- We lost to the same team, still ranked #10 In the Holiday Festival in MSG on 12/29/54, 70-91. We were not ranked. (We'd just lost to Tom Gola's LaSalle team in the first round 54-103!)

- Third time the charm: we beat that same Niagara team, now ranked #16 here on 2/8/55, 87-83. We were not ranked.

Believe it or not, that's the last time we played a ranked Upstate team, at least according to the Media Guide. Points of order: I believe the Media Guide listings are from the AP Poll and during most of the 60's the AP only did a Top Ten. Syracuse never played St. Bonaventure in the Bob Lanier Era or when the Stith brothers were there before that. There was no game between 1951 and 1975. Army was never ranked by AP in the Bobby Knight or Coach K eras, (UPI ranked them for a while in 1968 but not the week we played them). The Media Guide for some reason, doesn't list any rankings for SU or it's opponents for 1975-76, 1976-77 and 1977-78. I checked our opponents against the ESPN College Basketball Encyclopedia, which has all the weekly polls and i didn't see any ranking for an upstate opponent, which surprised me because the Bonnies were still pretty good during that period and we played them several times. Iona was not ranked even when Jess Ruland and Steve Burtt played there.

I just got my copy of this year's media Guide at the Dome on Saturday so let's use it, (pages 130-149). There was no poll until the 1948-49 season. I'll define "upstate" as anything in state that is north of the greater NYC metropolitan area.

- We didn't play as a ranked team against anyone who was also ranked until 1/12/52, when a 14th ranked SU team lost here to a 16th ranked Duquesne team, 67-78.

- We didn't play a ranked upstate team until 2/7/51 when we beat #14 Cornell at their place, 67-55. We weren't ranked.

- We lost to 10th ranked Niagara 12/16/54, 74-99 (Deja Vu?). We were not ranked.

- We lost to the same team, still ranked #10 In the Holiday Festival in MSG on 12/29/54, 70-91. We were not ranked. (We'd just lost to Tom Gola's LaSalle team in the first round 54-103!)

- Third time the charm: we beat that same Niagara team, now ranked #16 here on 2/8/55, 87-83. We were not ranked.

Believe it or not, that's the last time we played a ranked Upstate team, at least according to the Media Guide. Points of order: I believe the Media Guide listings are from the AP Poll and during most of the 60's the AP only did a Top Ten. Syracuse never played St. Bonaventure in the Bob Lanier Era or when the Stith brothers were there before that. There was no game between 1951 and 1975. Army was never ranked by AP in the Bobby Knight or Coach K eras, (UPI ranked them for a while in 1968 but not the week we played them). The Media Guide for some reason, doesn't list any rankings for SU or it's opponents for 1975-76, 1976-77 and 1977-78. I checked our opponents against the ESPN College Basketball Encyclopedia, which has all the weekly polls and i didn't see any ranking for an upstate opponent, which surprised me because the Bonnies were still pretty good during that period and we played them several times. Iona was not ranked even when Jess Ruland and Steve Burtt played there.

I was actually going to say that it was probably Niagara, but I wasn't sure if the Top 25 poll existed then. Appreciate the research.

Thanks for researching this.

It doesn't say much for the quality of basketball in upstate NY, does it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom