My Take | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

My Take

Spring break for many schools in the area next week. Lot of families used the weekend to get outta Dodge.
Good point. I expect to see some Cuse shirts and hats around St Pete and the Beaches this week. Those Allegiant and Frontier flights make it easy.

I thought there were more fans this year than last year . O line held there own while under not nearly at full strength. Splash plays and nice grabs from wrs didn’t see a lot of wow catches last year and saw a few yesterday. Pleasantly surprised by Courteny Jackson and cherry I was like who ? When I asked TD about him he raved in many ways . Jordan is special fast I would love to see him stretch the D in the pass game once in a while . We were vanilla and still flashed in all areas. TD was very accurate the pocket got pushed back he didn’t see trill it happens . Rex was very accurate as well I’m surprised nobody commenting or seemed to notice and displayed some real arm strength on the deep outs , Clayton my favorite person on the team not named TD , threw a beautiful deep ball All in all I was very happy with our performance
Don’t forget we also have the best kickers in the country and the O line and Abdul Adams will be back for August!! Throw away your orange tinted glasses , crack a beer and enjoy the show !

i have been every year for the past 10-12 years with the exception of last year and I don't ever remember more than a couple thousand people.

I would have guessed the crowd was over 4K, but knowing it was 3700 is a better turnout than I can remember.

I can go back to 2 years ago and check what I wrote as far as attendance.

EDIT: I stand corrected 2016 Twitter announced attendance was 4037. But that was Dino's first year. I am thinking that he is more concerned about getting fans in seats for games.

I think head coaches are in general annoyed by having to do Spring Games in general.

Last edited:
Tom, thanks for the report. For those of us that are distant, it's great to get the kind of perspective you offer. It seemed as though Welch performed well. Is that the way it seemed in person?
I thought Clayton looked very solid throwing in the pregame drills and running the offense, usually with 2nd team personnel. He is big, strong, throws well and while he didn’t show it yesterday, he can run too. Check out his JUCO stats on that front.

That it was. Right in the basket. Welch isn't just a practice stiff ... he's got great size and can play. Also, I agree with your comments about JJ and Queely. JJ's speed sticks out, but they did give him some backfield protection assignments that he did ok with (given his size). Downfield blocking isn't there yet. Queely is going to fit in nicely .. there's obvious chemistry between him and TD. His routes looked crisp after spring practice - and he wasn't the only one. Riley, Harris, (N.) Johnson ... there are so many options with this offense ... ball goes to every part of the field like a gatling gun. As far as the OL, no way to judge with jumbled personnel in a scrimmage ... so Alton and Co. did anything they wanted. It was nice to see Shy out there ... I gave him the thumbs up and reminded him we're all rooting for him. Good sign he was in attendance. Having him, Wallace, Richards and Williams available will reduce what little uncertainty there is about the defense going into the fall.
Shy was grateful for all the fan support. Walking into the dome in the dome after the game in the mall... everywhere we went people came up and asked him if he would be back and told him they are rooting for him. It was very over whelming at times. It was killing him to not be out there. He was coaching some of the younger kids as they came off the field. I think the coaches appreciated that. The freshman linebackers both came over and told shy they hope he comes back. Hopefully it all works out soon.

This summer will be filled with articles about losing Dungey and questions about our offense.

They will be proven wrong pretty quickly. This O is about to be what we all envisioned when Dino got the job. (And yeah, the OL is a slight concern - but I think we have enough everywhere else that a mediocre line can be overcome vs near everyone).

It’s going to be a very fun year.

Shy was grateful for all the fan support. Walking into the dome in the dome after the game in the mall... everywhere we went people came up and asked him if he would be back and told him they are rooting for him. It was very over whelming at times. It was killing him to not be out there. He was coaching some of the younger kids as they came off the field. I think the coaches appreciated that. The freshman linebackers both came over and told shy they hope he comes back. Hopefully it all works out soon.

Quick question; when Shy comes back, is his eligibility extended to compensate for the time he wasn't on the roster?

I was impressed with everything but the crowd. 3,700 people showing up is kind of embarrassing. It’s less than the past two years. With everything going on and with the excitement with the program, I was hoping for 8-10,000 showing up. Well, I guess people were raking their lawns.
that dead grass isn't going to rake itself.

i have been every year for the past 10-12 years with the exception of last year and I don't ever remember more than a couple thousand people.

I would have guessed the crowd was over 4K, but knowing it was 3700 is a better turnout than I can remember.

I can go back to 2 years ago and check what I wrote as far as attendance.

EDIT: I stand corrected 2016 Twitter announced attendance was 4037. But that was Dino's first year. I am thinking that he is more concerned about getting fans in seats for games.

I think head coaches are in general annoyed by having to do Spring Games in general.

with construction next year i wouldn't be surprsied if we dont do a game

I thought Clayton looked very solid throwing in the pregame drills and running the offense, usually with 2nd team personnel. He is big, strong, throws well and while he didn’t show it yesterday, he can run too. Check out his JUCO stats on that front.
We think a lot about depth at most positions other than QB. There'll be a time this year that we'll need a backup QB to keep things rolling. I have to say that I'm pretty excited for next season and think we're getting stronger in many facets of the game. I hope we find a way to get the ball to Jordan. His speed will make for some highlight reels...

Not much to add. Typical vanilla scrimmage and spring time sloppiness but the upgrade in athleticism top to bottom was impossible to miss. Pre-scrimmage I had to go to the roster as there were some players that were A+ in the looks department that I didn't recognize. Many were walk-ons that I knew nothing about (LB Terell Bennett). Now looks don't always translate to the field, of course, but they will certainly enhance the quality of practices.

Size at WR and overall speed were obvious areas of improvement.

I know it's been mentioned but hard to complain about anything in terms of the event itself. VERY well organized, great pre-event atmosphere on the quad and well worth the 3-hour round trip. Props to ADJW and staff for going above and beyond what we've come to expect. And was a bit surprised that the crowd in the Dome wasn't bigger particularly after seeing the great turnout on the quad and tailgate lots. We got there a few minutes after 11 and looked at the line for autographs and decided to pass after being told that they would never get through the entire line by noon. Have to think there were many that came out for the Fan Zone events and decided to enjoy the beautiful spring day rather than venture inside.

I thought all the quarterbacks threw well. Was really impressed with the speed of the defense from sideline to sideline. That bunch seems primed for a big season. Trill in particular looked fast, strong and confident.

JJ and Courtney look special - and fast. Anthony Queeley made a fine catch in the corner if the end zone. The WR room seems stacked.

Loved the Q&A with Floyd, Tom, and Larry.
I had never seen him speak before, and I was really impressed with Larry Csonka's humility.

Finally, the TD pass from Clayton to Nykeim was a thing of beauty. Aside from Tommy D, I'm not sure any of the recent back up QB's could have made that throw.

I am really looking forward to the upcoming season-even more than I was on Friday.

Larry Csonka - Greatest NFL fullback of all time.

I was impressed with everything but the crowd. 3,700 people showing up is kind of embarrassing. It’s less than the past two years. With everything going on and with the excitement with the program, I was hoping for 8-10,000 showing up. Well, I guess people were raking their lawns.

The day I worry about attendance in at the Spring Game, in a Dome, when the locals have just finished their weather forced hibernation, is the day I pack it up and stop following SU football.

Quick question; when Shy comes back, is his eligibility extended to compensate for the time he wasn't on the roster?
No he only gets the 5th season. He only has 1 internship to finish his degree so he will have to take some extra classes to meet eligibility. Then graduate in December and return in May to walk with the class... giving him time to workout and prep for proday or (dare to dream combine) just have to get the next 6 weeks and finals (

I’m more disappointed that it wasn’t on tv or at least streamed and that we still don’t play a real spring game like most of the big boys.

Not worried about it. The season ticket sales are a much bigger deal. That's a commitment made with dollars.

Yeah and people get s—t for taking lawns but running kids around to sports stuff all week and working, etc, you don’t have time to constantly carve out hours for these games unless there is good reason to do so. Improving the quality and nature of these events from a fan perspective is important. People and complain about it but it’s a reality. Sounds like they made some real steps forward here and I’m happy about that.

Yeah and people get s—t for taking lawns but running kids around to sports stuff all week and working, etc, you don’t have time to constantly carve out hours for these games unless there is good reason to do so. Improving the quality and nature of these events from a fan perspective is important. People and complain about it but it’s a reality. Sounds like they made some real steps forward here and I’m happy about that.
The other thing is, if ticket sales have improved so much, that's going to free the AD up to put time, energy and budget towards making these kinds of events better and promoting them, instead of expending those efforts on driving ticket sales.

I'd imagine they have a pretty decent idea from a revenue perspective of what they can expect depending on ticket sales and expected game attendance. The more that all becomes predictable, the better everything else can get.

Larry Csonka - Greatest NFL fullback of all time.
Jim Brown was a fullback so Csonka isn’t even the greatest fullback in SU history.

In fact, you could even argue that Daryl Johnston is a better fullback.

Earl Campbell and Franco Harris were also fullbacks.

What cannot be argued, however, is SU has produced 3 of the top fullbacks in NFL history.

No he only gets the 5th season. He only has 1 internship to finish his degree so he will have to take some extra classes to meet eligibility. Then graduate in December and return in May to walk with the class... giving him time to workout and prep for proday or (dare to dream combine) just have to get the next 6 weeks and finals (
Be great to see him come back to flip that Orange-hued tassel.

And, oh yeah, would not mind seeing him lined up at LB on September 14th...

Jim Brown was a fullback so Csonka isn’t even the greatest fullback in SU history.

In fact, you could even argue that Daryl Johnston is a better fullback.

Earl Campbell and Franco Harris were also fullbacks.

What cannot be argued, however, is SU has produced 3 of the top fullbacks in NFL history.

Jim Brown was a tailback - a breakaway runner.

He was a powerful tailback who may have been designated a fullback from time to time but he was a very fast tailback or halfback.

Earl Campbell was also more of a tailback.

Csonka was the quintessential fullback; one who was far better than Franco Harris and Moose.

You’re kidding about Daryl, right?

Jim Brown was a tailback - a breakaway runner.

He was a powerful tailback who may have been designated a fullback from time to time but he was a very fast tailback or halfback.

Earl Campbell was also more of a tailback.

Csonka was the quintessential fullback; one who was far better than Franco Harris and Moose.

You’re kidding about Daryl, right?
Look it up. You are wrong. Brown was a fullback. So was Campbell.

Fullback was a lot more than just a blocker.

John Riggins was a fullback.

No, I’m not kidding about Johnston.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors