My Take | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

My Take

Adams and Jarveon opting out hurts more each week. Love Tucker’s potential but jeez.

will Trill and Nunn need to move to safety if the injuries persist? Would be devastating, though Nunn’s seen time there already. We need Trill at corner or the middles going to detonate.

It’s pretty obvious to me Geoff’s missing tackles because he’s hurt. Need Steve and Lee to make bigger impacts during their opportunities.

Juan Wallace would have had a nice opportunity this year to put in work and get some time.

Have you ever played sports? D1 players and coaches don’t give up its not in their dna to keep pushing and that’s why they are where they are. If Dino has given up or thinks this season means nothing then he needs to be fired this second.
Played baseball in college, probably more than 90% on this board can say, he's given up in terms of having a winning season, he knows it'll be rough the rest of the way and that's why IMO he's admitting the injuries, he's aware theirs gonna be some upset people with a 2 win season and he's gotta be prepared for that, what we're doing isn't working

"I think Duke did the usual approach against the Babers offense. Play the corners on an island in man and load up the box to take away the run. They sat on the short routes to the flat or over the middle, and largely took them away from us. To do this, they left themselves really exposed to long passes. I think they decided they would take their changes getting beat long, relying on their great DEs to put pressure on Tommy and trying to take away Tommy’s primary target whenever possible. "

This ^^^^^ Opposing coaches understand that if you pressure the pocket even a bit our QB will take a sack or run out of bounds for a loss every time. What do we do with Rex ? I would look for quick outs and timing routes to take advantage of the agressive D. I pray he might be able to run a bit.

"I think Duke did the usual approach against the Babers offense. Play the corners on an island in man and load up the box to take away the run. They sat on the short routes to the flat or over the middle, and largely took them away from us. To do this, they left themselves really exposed to long passes. I think they decided they would take their changes getting beat long, relying on their great DEs to put pressure on Tommy and trying to take away Tommy’s primary target whenever possible. "

This ^^^^^ Opposing coaches understand that if you pressure the pocket even a bit our QB will take a sack or run out of bounds for a loss every time. What do we do with Rex ? I would look for quick outs and timing routes to take advantage of the agressive D. I pray he might be able to run a bit.

Thoughts and prayers may be needed.

Good takes Tom, I'm hoping as the O-line gets healthier we will run the ball better. We're gonna have to shorten games and play field position if we want to compete/win any of the remaining games.

If Servais never played another down, that would be a start.

I think DB has wrote off the season, especially with him giving the injury info out that cisco and jordan are done for awhile, he's essentially waving the white flag on the season. He probably senses this is spiraling out of control and if it's a 1-2 win campaign he better have some reasons and something to point to that next season will be better.

You can see it, he is flat, but someone needs to tell him the other coaches think differently.

‘You go to war with the army you have, not the army you may wish you had or the one you may have at some other time.’

Instead of going to war with the team we have, we have stubbornly clung to the offense we wish we had. The result has been disastrous. Series after series we stick with the four WR sets even as it produces the same 3-and-out results. Our talented young defense, whose coach is playing with the army he has, is eventually worn down and crumbles. Our quarterback is put in a position in which he is continually bludgeoned and, then, predictably, knocked out for the season. Two of our three best skill position players are relegated to blocking and have a total of four catches all season between them, three of them for first downs and one for a touchdown. We continually leave points on the field, even when the defense gives us the ball in prime position. A player who scored six touchdowns last season hasn’t been targeted once in the red zone all season.
Playing with the army we have, instead of the one we wish we had, would have meant going to a two TE set, using our slot for quick hitters, letting our quarterback use his extraordinary arm to throw into windows on shorter routes instead of having him take a constant beating in the quest for a home run throw down the sideline.
We came into yesterday’s game ranked dead last in total offense among the 75 college football teams playing this fall. We had a bye week to prepare, to adjust. But we continued to scheme for the offense we wished we had. Once again, four WR sets continually produced 3-and-outs, wore down our defense, and eventually cost us our quarterback for the rest of the season. We threw to our tight ends exactly three times ... every one generated a first down, including a PI penalty, a touchdown, and a tackle-breaking first down run.
I believe if we had played to our strengths we would have at least one more win, maybe two. Maybe you don’t buy that. But ask yourself, could it have been any worse than what we have seen?

Great points and at this point it's all about ego. The good coaches adapt. No new formations or wrinkles.

It’s all about this. Dungey’s athleticism and playmaking covered for so many deficiencies.

That's why last year I actually gave him a pass. Didn't expect better than.500. So many discounted what ED did and didn't want to believe in the previous staff's talent from wrs to OL. Instead, we waited for what we thought was a given, BETTER recruits in dinos first 2-3 years. Not the case, exposed. None of these wrs on this roster can hold a candle to Erv and ish and ED simply played beyond the scheme to get his team home.

if you cant catch 95% of the routine passes you are gonna have issues moving the ball. if you cant run also drop passes what do you do... But when we block 6 on 3 and still get beat over and over what is left..

Still as bad as it was it was a one score game in the 4th somehow.. we failed again on 3 and medium like we did most of the game .. Every key point in the game we made the mistake and that adds up.. We should have been up 2-3 scores at the half but we turned that into trailing. we dropped a couple simple INts , and still won the turnover game. do we really not have any WRs that can catch most of the passes they get 2 hands on..

We were in it bc of again, the thing we do best, ball hawk. 4 TOs and that's exciting but when you ball hawk it doesn't mean you are a sound D. You sacrifice angles on routes and tackling and that's a big part of our problems on D.

We were in it bc of again, the thing we do best, ball hawk. 4 TOs and that's exciting but when you ball hawk it doesn't mean you are a sound D. You sacrifice angles on routes and tackling and that's a big part of our problems on D.

And now the defense feels like it needs 3 or 4 turnovers just to stay in the damn game. So more tries to make the flashy sensational play, and a lack of attention to just wrapping up the ball carrier / receiver.

If Servais never played another down, that would be a start.

In fairness, he has been messed with. Someone in the staff, SE in particular allowed him to shed 30# 2 years ago and when we had a key injury on the oline, we opted to move around 4 guys instead of fixing one position. On the premise that all linemen need to know all positions. Never heard of such a thing at this level and then we finally fixed it after 7-8 games. The fact cav is still here is just a head scratcher. But, in the end I assume that's sanctioned by dino?

Adams and Jarveon opting out hurts more each week. Love Tucker’s potential but jeez.

will Trill and Nunn need to move to safety if the injuries persist? Would be devastating, though Nunn’s seen time there already. We need Trill at corner or the middles going to detonate.

It’s pretty obvious to me Geoff’s missing tackles because he’s hurt. Need Steve and Lee to make bigger impacts during their opportunities.

Juan Wallace would have had a nice opportunity this year to put in work and get some time.

Howard and Adams being here would help thats not debatable, however they also had under 350 yards combined last year. People (not saying you) need to stop acting like Walter Reyes and Jim Brown opted out

‘You go to war with the army you have, not the army you may wish you had or the one you may have at some other time.’

Series after series we stick with the four WR sets even as it produces the same 3-and-out results.

that’s not even close to true

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom