My Take | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

My Take

Hands to the face is all too obvious and the risk of a call is high. To me it looked like a very avoidable foul. If they had done that to us we would have gone nuts with a no call.

They did the series before and I was.

Jac Collinsworth worked at ESPN they then shifted him to ACCN.
His contract with ESPN expired December 31, 2019.
NBC signed him likely because of his dad. He works ND football.

He is the personification of a nepotism hire.

I am sure he will be a contender for the ND PBP job once Al Michaels retires and Tirico takes over SNF.

The broadcast wasn’t an issue. Tirico knew every detail about the SU roster and situation. He wasn’t bad.

The refs being bad I don’t expect him to say anything when they go ND’s way he is a ND announcer.
Dungey was just super positive all game long and never says anything critical or interesting.
Comparing Taj Harris to Marvin Harrison is just coo-coo for coco-coco puffs dumb.

Dungey didn’t compare the two in a like for like way. He said they were similar body types and caught the ball in a similar way. Which I can see.

yeah but it isnt a rule..
Well, illegal use of the hands is a penalty. Incidental contact is not called but a shot, or in this case a slap, is a foul. When the ref announced the roughing the passer penalty he mentioned blow to the facemask. Any forcible contact to the head or neck area of the QB (does not have to be targeting) is a roughing the passer penalty in NCAA.

Well, illegal use of the hands is a penalty. Incidental contact is not called but a shot, or in this case a slap, is a foul. When the ref announced the roughing the passer penalty he mentioned blow to the facemask. Any forcible contact to the head or neck area of the QB (does not have to be targeting) is a roughing the passer penalty in NCAA.

That's how I see it and have seen it called. So I didn't have an issue with that call and knew what the flag was for when I saw it live. Now some of the other calls people have mentioned, I had some question on.

Last edited:
I like Mike a lot. Have been watching and listening to him since he was a teenager at SU. He is a great announcer and a great alum. I know he does a lot for Syracuse in general and Newhouse in particular and I love him for this.
But if you think he is calling these ND games as an objective journalist, I think you are nuts.

Glad he is making a lot of money. I felt bad for him. There were awkward pauses a couple of times in the game when they showed a replay of plays where the refs made awful calls that favored ND. Collinsworth (I think) would always enthusiastically endorse the call, regardless of what the replay showed. Dungy would say nothing. Or quietly note that maybe the ref wasn’t quite right. Tirico would pause for a long while and then affirm the call. You could sense him being uncomfortable and sense his reluctance to be a homer. But sady, he did it. A number of times.

It's Notre Dame football brought to you by NBC. That's the product. You make him out to be a sellout, which I think is nuts.

I think Mike does an amazing job of knowing the ecosystem of which he is calling the game overall. Can someone name a national play-by-play announcer who tends to be critical of the situations? That tends to be left to the color analyst for the most part.

We messed up not making Moe Neal Erv 2.0

I hope we don’t mess up again with Lutz.

Or am I forcing the square peg in the round hole?

It's Notre Dame football brought to you by NBC. That's the product. You make him out to be a sellout, which I think is nuts.

I think Mike does an amazing job of knowing the ecosystem of which he is calling the game overall. Can someone name a national play-by-play announcer who tends to be critical of the situations? That tends to be left to the color analyst for the most part.

Agree. love the recaps, but the Tirico comments were way over the top.

there are 2 different rules.. but once you are outside the pocket the qb protection goes away. and that was way less than forceable contact

yep

Agree. love the recaps, but the Tirico comments were way over the top.

No doubt. Those subtle nuances, IMO, if they even truly existed, where hardly noticeable. Unless, of course, knowing Tirico's history, ties to SU, etc., somewhat peculiarly looking for something that really isn't there, or at least not to the vast majority of viewers.

Great post as usual, Tom!
This was a vallent effort against ND, the officials and the broadcast team!
The O finally demonstrated some play-making ability against a very good ND D!
I really love the toughness and consistent effort of our D!
This gives us a good starting-point for next year!

We messed up not making Moe Neal Erv 2.0

I hope we don’t mess up again with Lutz.

Or am I forcing the square peg in the round hole?
Moe ran for 2,500 yards. Lutz looks more natural at RB. I feel more confident in the RB group next year.

I think Harris moving more to the slot would really help him but we need another outside guy to step up to do that. Harris and Jordan/lutz in the slot would be interesting..

what this team doesnt have is the 50/50 guy. the throws that killed us the last 2 weeks were TDs and contested balls..

Alford looks like that body type.. Not sure whats holding him back as most of those type of plays are not really read complicated routes. Hendrix might have been that had he not gotten hurt when he got here.

The roughing the passer call on Kingsley didn't bother me.

The rule bothers me.

I completely understand protecting heads, but I also think you can use some judgement on severity when a hand in the air to try to block a pass ends up slapping a helmet.

Moe ran for 2,500 yards. Lutz looks more natural at RB. I feel more confident in the RB group next year.
Lutz does look comfortable at RB. Really liked what he did when Tucker was hurt a few games ago and we ended up passing it to him over the middle 5-10 yards down the field. Looked solid catching those balls.

One element we are missing from the offense right now is a WR or two who can run patterns over the middle, get open and make catches. It would be great if they could get some YAC, but just getting open and catching the ball alone would be huge.

This is normally something our slot WRs do, but our TEs and even RBs could and should help out as well. I think we tried with Nykeim a bunch of times (including yesterday) but it rarely worked out. Courtney had a little success but never really clicked. Our inability to get the ball to our slot WRs, TEs and RBs really hurt the efficiency of the offense.

This has to change.

The roughing the passer call on Kingsley didn't bother me.

The rule bothers me.

I completely understand protecting heads, but I also think you can use some judgement on severity when a hand in the air to try to block a pass ends up slapping a helmet.
agree

Lutz does look comfortable at RB. Really liked what he did when Tucker was hurt a few games ago and we ended up passing it to him over the middle 5-10 yards down the field. Looked solid catching those balls.

One element we are missing from the offense right now is a WR or two who can run patterns over the middle, get open and make catches. It would be great if they could get some YAC, but just getting open and catching the ball alone would be huge.

This is normally something our slot WRs do, but our TEs and even RBs could and should help out as well. I think we tried with Nykeim a bunch of times (including yesterday) but it rarely worked out. Courtney had a little success but never really clicked. Our inability to get the ball to our slot WRs, TEs and RBs really hurt the efficiency of the offense.

This has to change.
Agree

I thought Dungy was very complementary of our defense throughout the game. He likes our speed and said our corners are excellent. Cullpepper‘s two fumbles and the hit on their quarterback was the difference in the game.

I thought Dungy was very complementary of our defense throughout the game. He likes our speed and said our corners are excellent. Cullpepper‘s two fumbles and the hit on their quarterback was the difference in the game.

On the first fumble Rex had his face mask yanked.

This has to change.

nj had a high and outside glance off his fingers but latter made a great catch in traffic

nj had a high and outside glance off his fingers but latter made a great catch in traffic
Yes.

Courtney had his best games late in the year. It looks like the light is coming on for him. Hoping he really steps up next year. Pretty sure he is going to be our top slot guy...

3rd and 10, up 4 we get a stop but they call a super weak hit to Book’s helmet. Next play, TD. The series before Rex gets hit in the helmet, no call.

This is the kind of stuff that makes me want to watch less CFB. ND is good enough to beat us straight up, without bogus calls.
On that hit to the helmet play our D lineman gets tackled and held down while rushing the passer. It’s like the refs were blind to that and then the weak ass call gets made

Moe was a solid RB but I was most impressed with how natural he looked catching out of the backfield. It bailed us out in a lot of games where we seemed incapable of a downfield passing attack

I just want Lutz in a position where he gets the ball in space. He looks good catching it and is sturdier built than Jordan. The RB room’s lookin solid and I think he’s a real weapon the defense will always have to keep an eye on if on the field.

I have very very little faith in our other options in the slot. Harris wont be moved there imo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom