My Take | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

My Take

Moe was a solid RB but I was most impressed with how natural he looked catching out of the backfield. It bailed us out in a lot of games where we seemed incapable of a downfield passing attack

I just want Lutz in a position where he gets the ball in space. He looks good catching it and is sturdier built than Jordan. The RB room’s lookin solid and I think he’s a real weapon the defense will always have to keep an eye on if on the field.

I have very very little faith in our other options in the slot. Harris wont be moved there imo.
I liked Moe's pass catching ability coming out of HS but not enough to say it was a mistake not have him at slot. Weve had some good backs that didnt run for that amount of yards. We won 15 games in two years with him as the RB. I agree, that Lutz and Jordan can be utilized more in space. Im just not sure they are natural pass catchers that would make a huge difference in the slot

I liked Moe's pass catching ability coming out of HS but not enough to say it was a mistake not have him at slot. Weve had some good backs that didnt run for that amount of yards. We won 15 games in two years with him as the RB. I agree, that Lutz and Jordan can be utilized more in space. Im just not sure they are natural pass catchers that would make a huge difference in the slot
Tucker, Lutz, Jordan and Hough all appear to be legitimate playmakers. Not sure we have as much talent at the WR positions. Gotta find a way to get as many of these guys on the field with as many touches as possible.

Maybe part of the answer is to use two RB sets and make @SWC’s dream come true sometimes? If Rhino decides to leave, we have a big hole at FB/H-back and I think Josh would be a great candidate to fill that role.

He just would get the ball more than Rhino did. Seems a lot more qualified to run it and catch it.

I believe they said it was because he touched the facemask.
I really question that roughing call by rule.. it wasnt with force so that takes that part out.. he was also out of the pocket so that removes protection of the QB.. I watched probably 20 games yesterday.. didnt see it called one time and saw lots of QBs get hit in the head by random hand shots

Tucker, Lutz, Jordan and Hough all appear to be legitimate playmakers. Not sure we have as much talent at the WR positions. Gotta find a way to get as many of these guys on the field with as many touches as possible.

Maybe part of the answer is to use two RB sets and make @SWC’s dream come true sometimes? If Rhino decides to leave, we have a big hole at FB/H-back and I think Josh would be a great candidate to fill that role.

He just would get the ball more than Rhino did. Seems a lot more qualified to run it and catch it.
I wouldnt mind seeing more two RB sets. Anything to utilize players skill sets and create mix matches in space.

I wouldnt mind seeing more two RB sets. Anything to utilize players skill sets and create mix matches in space.
Adjust the offense to maximize the talent we are able to recruit. Don't try to fit players in a system they are unable to play. Much like changing the defense, Dino needs to adjust the offense.

Adjust the offense to maximize the talent we are able to recruit. Don't try to fit players in a system they are unable to play. Much like changing the defense, Dino needs to adjust the offense.

He did that a lot this year. I’d like to see some of the old staples like we saw vs ND (tempo passing game)

I agree, there needs to be some tweaks and adjustments to the scheme while keeping the core elements of it. You can also design plays and put particular players in position to make plays within scheme. You also have to keep in mind this is a offense the staff knows and they have recruited players specifically for it. They have to be careful with how much they change.

I like Mike a lot. Have been watching and listening to him since he was a teenager at SU. He is a great announcer and a great alum. I know he does a lot for Syracuse in general and Newhouse in particular and I love him for this.
But if you think he is calling these ND games as an objective journalist, I think you are nuts.

Glad he is making a lot of money. I felt bad for him. There were awkward pauses a couple of times in the game when they showed a replay of plays where the refs made awful calls that favored ND. Collinsworth (I think) would always enthusiastically endorse the call, regardless of what the replay showed. Dungy would say nothing. Or quietly note that maybe the ref wasn’t quite right. Tirico would pause for a long while and then affirm the call. You could sense him being uncomfortable and sense his reluctance to be a homer. But sady, he did it. A number of times.

I think you have to remember that for every SU fan that tuned in y'day there were 50 ND fans watching. It's an ND broadcast. I'm sure Tirico wasn't rooting for ND but to expect a p-b-p guy to not see things from a ND perspective on a ND broadcast is a big ask.

That's how I see it and have seen it called. So I didn't have an issue with that call and knew what the flag was for when I saw it live. Now some of the other calls people have mentioned, I had some question on.
You mean like how the standard for a fumble has always been if the knee was down before the ball was out, and yesterday it magically changed to if the player had started losing control when the knee was down?

I think you have to remember that for every SU fan that tuned in y'day there were 50 ND fans watching. It's an ND broadcast. I'm sure Tirico wasn't rooting for ND but to expect a p-b-p guy to not see things from a ND perspective on a ND broadcast is a big ask.
Some valid points defending Mike here. I still found it unsettling to hear Mike acting so happy and chirpy about ND football. Great alum, great guy. Just never heard him not be an objective, calm professional in all the years I have been watching him. It was very strange to see him in ‘cheerleader’ mode.

Moe is 9th on the all-time school rushing list. Don't think he was wasted.
If you want to point to a guy that was wasted from that era, I think Strickland would have been dominant in the slot and gave a workmanlike effort at running back but didn't really shine there.

Really, what do you think slowing down and subbing constantly this year was? Or playing two TE's much of the time? Or running plays instead of the "system"?

or folding in more outside zone to leverage Tucker's ability to get to the alley, or running more crossing patterns and throwing the ball in the middle of the field. They ran hardly any RPO's, and almost dropped designed QB runs entirely once Devito got hurt.

Last edited:
I personally think it’s a mistake to put Jordan in the slot. He’ll get more touches at RB. A tandem of him and Tucker is going to be a nice mix and then they can filter in the freshman bowling ball.

Re: slot Id like to see Taj in the slot next year backed up by Courtney Jackson who is the future slot. The outside WRs look like they might be Queeley and Alford. I think that’s a pretty good lineup.

Last edited:
Really, what do you think slowing down and subbing constantly this year was? Or playing two TE's much of the time? Or running plays instead of the "system"?

or folding in more outside zone to leverage Tucker's ability to get to the alley, or running more crossing patterns and throwing the ball in the middle of the field. The ran hardly any RPO's, and almost dropped designed QB runs entirely once Devito got hurt.
Some just don’t see it. Most people think we run dives and go routes the whole game. Lol.

I personally think it’s a mistake to put Jordan in the slot. He’ll get more touches at RB. A tandem of him and Tucker is going to be a nice mix and then they can filter in the freshman bowling ball.

Re: slot Id like to see Taj in the slot next year backed up by Courtney Jackson who is the future slot. The outside WRs look like they might be Queeley and Alford. I think that’s a pretty good lineup.
I like the idea of putting Taj at slot. He is our best outside WR but little doubt he would also thrive in the slot. He showed a toughness and fearlessness this year that would serve him well playing in the slot.

I think it comes down to who else we have at outside WR and the slot, and how they develop in the spring.
Anthony Queeley has emerged as a reliable outside WR.
Hendrix looks very capable but can he stay healthy?

Alford must be showing the coaches something in practices. He got some chances in games. Lots of other players at outside WR that look like they have high ceilings and lots of potential.

Leading slot receivers in Babers era:

2016 Erv Phillips 90 catches 822 yards 6 TDs
2017 Erv Phillips 89 catches 901 yards 4 TDs
2018 Sean Riley 64 catches 756 yards 3 TDs
2019 Sean Riley 36 catches 275 yards 1 TD
2020 Nykeim Johnson 20 catches 323 yards 4 TDs

Our leading TE in receptions this year was Luke Benson with 6 catches. Last year he had 8 and Aaron Hackett had 23.

Very disturbing trend. Things are not much better at the outside WR positions.

It's Notre Dame football brought to you by NBC. That's the product. You make him out to be a sellout, which I think is nuts.

I think Mike does an amazing job of knowing the ecosystem of which he is calling the game overall. Can someone name a national play-by-play announcer who tends to be critical of the situations? That tends to be left to the color analyst for the most part.
Mike is a super guy. Bleeds orange.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom