My Take | Syracusefan.com

My Take

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
For a season with no true home or away games, the results for this team have been remarkably different at home and on the road. Hard to believe but for a crazy series of events against a lowly Pitt team, this Syracuse team would have been undefeated at home.

I hope we feel at home in good ‘ole Greensboro, my favorite town in the ACC.

This game was won with defense. When we play with a high sense of urgency on defense, the results are markedly better. Of course, it helps when you play against a not very good offensive team that has struggled badly on the road most of the season. Clemson was almost as bad on offense in the first half as we were in the first half when we played down there.

It is surprising that a lot of our best defense today was played with Kadary and Edwards on the bench. It might not have been pretty but it was effective.

I thought the key to the game was our work on the boards. We actually outrebounded the Tigers. Marek, Q and Alan were all working hard, getting rebounds all game long. Special props to Alan, who was terrific on offense most of the game (in addition to paying good D and getting double figure boards).

It got so hard for Clemson offensively that they had to go with a bizarre lineup of gangly goobers, all shooters, to try and get back into the game. The problem was this was a really bad defensive group and SU was able to exploit mismatches regularly with those guys out there.

Thought JGIII gave good minutes for that long stretch when Kadary was (apparently) not able to play. He was really active with the ball and made a series of excellent passes to help keep the points flowing. I think between Joe and Kadary, our PGs got 11 assists and 1 turnover. That is pretty darned good and it is hard to beat a team with that kind of production from the point.

You could see Kadary was not 100%, especially when he tried to shoot. Credit to him and Q for being gamers and gutting out important minutes to help get the win. A lot of players contributed, sometimes in small ways. This was a true team win, but if someone told me that Buddy was going to go 2-10 from the 3 point circle, with Marek going scoreless, Q getting 8 and Kadary only getting 5, I would have surely thought we lost.

Very glad we are still in the discussion for the NCAA tournament going into next week. I wonder if there is any chance we might get another game with VT possibly not able to play this weekend? I would think if the Hokies can’t play, the powers that be will find an opponent for us. As others have said, it surely won’t be NC State. If we play again, it should be a home game.

I would love another chance to get a regular season win under normal circumstances, but with so many injured players, coming off this insane stretch of 3 games in 6 days, we probably would be better served to have the time off to rest up and heal up from all the abuse these players have suffered during the conference season.

Let’s make Lunardi look like a bonehead one more time. And, please, never, EVER show an extreme closeup of his face during a broadcast again. Remember, there are impressionable children watching these games.

Let’s make Lunardi look like a bonehead one more time. And, please, never, EVER show an extreme closeup of his face during a broadcast again. Remember, there are impressionable children watching these games.
Thanks TC. Great as always. Great week for the Orange. Like last season, finishing strong. Good point about Lunardi. Don't forget that some people were trying to eat/digest as well.

I would love another chance to get a regular season win under normal circumstances, but with so many injured players, coming off this insane stretch of 3 games in 6 days, we probably would be better served to have the time off to rest up and heal up from all the abuse these players have suffered during the conference season.
We've played well the last few games with little rest. Hope it bodes well for the Tournament

I know you mention the Pitt fiasco, but that was cancelled out by the huge comebacks vs. NC State and Notre Dame at home, so I can't complain about the big blown lead vs. Pitt. These things tend to even out. Heck, we conceivably could have lost to Bryant, Northeastern and Buffalo. Loses to them would have been catastrophic.

Lunardi pays ESPN $100K per year to let him make his hogwash public.

I think we played our best D in the second half when Kadary came in for Joe. Clemson had just cut our lead to 10. They were killing us with 3s. Kadary stopped that immediately.
When Kadary came in around the ten minute mark of the second half, he made all the difference after they made four threes in a row. Joe is too short and slow to play effective defense against any power 5 point guard.....he makes Greg Paulus look like a speed merchant when he played at Duke!

I think we played our best D in the second half when Kadary came in for Joe. Clemson had just cut our lead to 10. They were killing us with 3s. Kadary stopped that immediately.
We can just score so quickly, combine that with a good defense and it’s deadly. Why we d see it every game is beyond me.

When Kadary came in around the ten minute mark of the second half, he made all the difference after they made four threes in a row. Joe is too short and slow to play effective defense against any power 5 point guard...he makes Greg Paulus look like a speed merchant when he played at Duke!
Kadary is easily our best defender at guard (and our best defender period). I was just surprised at how effective our defense was without him (and Edwards) in.

I think at least part of it is because Clemson’s offense was lost with the good defenders in. Most are not very good at scoring points.

For a season with no true home or away games, the results for this team have been remarkably different at home and on the road. Hard to believe but for a crazy series of events against a lowly Pitt team, this Syracuse team would have been undefeated at home.

This game was won with defense. When we play with a high sense of urgency on defense, the results are markedly better. Of course, it helps when you play against a not very good offensive team that has struggled badly on the road most of the season. Clemson was almost as bad on offense in the first half as we were in the first half when we played down there.

It is surprising that a lot of our best defense today was played with Kadary and Edwards on the bench. It might not have been pretty but it was effective.

I thought the key to the game was our work on the boards. We actually outrebounded the Tigers. Marek, Q and Alan were all working hard, getting rebounds all game long. Special props to Alan, who was terrific on offense most of the game (in addition to paying good D and getting double figure boards).

It got so hard for Clemson offensively that they had to go with a bizarre lineup of gangly goobers, all shooters, to try and get back into the game. The problem was this was a really bad defensive group and SU was able to exploit mismatches regularly with those guys out there.

Thought JGIII gave good minutes for that long stretch when Kadary was (apparently) not able to play. He was really active with the ball and made a series of excellent passes to help keep the points flowing. I think between Joe and Kadary, our PGs got 11 assists and 1 turnover. That is pretty darned good and it is hard to beat a team with that kind of production from the point.

You could see Kadary was not 100%, especially when he tried to shoot. Credit to him and Q for being gamers and gutting out important minutes to help get the win. A lot of players contributed, sometimes in small ways. This was a true team win, but if someone told me that Buddy was going to go 2-10 from the 3 point circle, with Marek going scoreless, Q getting 8 and Kadary only getting 5, I would have surely thought we lost.

Very glad we are still in the discussion for the NCAA tournament going into next week. I wonder if there is any chance we might get another game with VT possibly not able to play this weekend? I would think if the Hokies can’t play, the powers that be will find an opponent for us. As others have said, it surely won’t be NC State. If we play again, it should be a home game.

I think the road games may be just a bit bizarre for teams with the Covid restrictions with traveling. Va lax took a bus here. Just a thought.

I know you mention the Pitt fiasco, but that was cancelled out by the huge comebacks vs. NC State and Notre Dame at home, so I can't complain about the big blown lead vs. Pitt. These things tend to even out. Heck, we conceivably could have lost to Bryant, Northeastern and Buffalo. Loses to them would have been catastrophic.
Bryant and Pitt games both came after Covid pause. It seems a lot of teams have struggled when in that situation.

Thank you for reviving this tradition.

Your "My Take" posts became more sporadic after you got married but seem to have become more regular this season.

Tomcat's "My Take" and SWC's summaries of the JB and DB weekly shows are my only two must-read threads on these boards.

And quite honestly, with all the rampant, incessant negativity these days, they may end up being my only two reads.

Your "My Take" posts became more sporadic after you got married but seem to have become more regular this season.

Tomcat's "My Take" and SWC's summaries of the JB and DB weekly shows are my only two must-read threads on these boards.

And quite honestly, with all the rampant, incessant negativity these days, they may end up being my only two reads.
Thanks for the kind words.

There isn’t much good about the COVID pandemic, but not being able to attend any games makes it easier to type up a post after a game (and still get to bed at a reasonable hour). I have had a few less ‘honey dos’ this season though...the house is in pretty good shape these days. ;)

Thanks for the kind words.

There isn’t much good about the COVID pandemic, but not being able to attend any games makes it easier to type up a post after a game (and still get to bed at a reasonable hour). I have had a few less ‘honey dos’ this season though...the house is in pretty good shape these days.
Also didn't the games for the most part start earlier than in recent seasons.

Also didn't the games for the most part start earlier than in recent seasons.
Yes, that has helped me too.

Also, I tend to skip games where we play really poorly and I can’t find almost anything hopeful or positive to write. I think there have been less of those games this year.

We only have 8 losses this year. That is mostly a function of playing 23 games in the regular season, not 31 but still, there have been less ugly losses to deal with.

The negativity is so hard to wade through!

The negativity is so hard to wade through!
Yeah - even though we're sure we see what our HOF coach can't see; even though our HOF coach says things that make us cringe; even though we can see the talent level isn't what it once was -
We're 15-8 overall, 9-7 in the ACC and 13-1 at home!
There's a little cause for celebration there somewhere.

Yeah - even though we're sure we see what our HOF coach can't see; even though our HOF coach says things that make us cringe; even though we can see the talent level isn't what it once was -
We're 15-8 overall, 9-7 in the ACC and 13-1 at home!
There's a little cause for celebration there somewhere.

And only a few weeks ago, we weren't sure we wouldn't have a losing season for the first time since before most of us were born.

A little win streak doesn't hurt.

Edwards coming around, Richmond getting some solid minutes, and I'm even feeling a little optimistic!

I don’t get the joke here. Sorry.

No joke intended... This board has been hard to read this year at times because of all the negativity.

In the end we had an ok regular season, ending with a winning record again and a winning conference record. The team was limited by a number of factors, not least of which was Sidibe getting injured again. In the end, we came out ok.

But if you read the board, it's like we managed a losing record with Babe Ruth and Gehrig.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom